Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-02-2013, 11:40   #16

Boat: 1976 luger 27 ft.
Good to know. I've been researching solar panels and wind turbines and they juse don't seem cost effective when i don't plan on living on my boat full time.

Old 26-02-2013, 11:57   #17

Boat: Catalina 30
The PO of my boat sailed her from the panhandle to Puerto Rico and back so I think an OB is fine.
The fact that my wife can hoist it about using the main sheet is a bonus. Pulling the OB on my boat is very easy. I do lock it to the boat with a cable just for giggles.

Looked at a few 25s and 28s with water ballast. One warning that made me think twice was to make sure it was completely drained before towing. Last thing you want is the ballast to shift on a corner.

Wing keels are also an option for a trailer boat. My boat has a fin keel and weighs in at over 7k lbs so is transportable but not really a trailer boat. I imagine you would like to keep weight under 5k unless you have really nice rig to tow with.

Old 26-02-2013, 12:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscotttrudel View Post
Good to know. I've been researching solar panels and wind turbines and they juse don't seem cost effective when i don't plan on living on my boat full time.
I bought a 30watt panel and controller for $100. For weekend use we never use shore power unless I am at a transient dock and it is covered in the price.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:11   #19

I have a 99 ford super duty that i will be towing it with. Not a bad truck but its had many miles and lots of work hours on her.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:13   #20

The garbone. I plan on a three to four month trip this coming winter. I also just figured so long as i already have the generator didn't see any reason tonspend more money on panels or turbine.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:24   #21

Oh i guess you wrote both of those.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:41   #22

Well an OB would help on trailer weight.

I spent 6 days on the boat over Xmas break and one thing about the OB is fuel. My OB has 2 six gallon saddle tanks and I carry 18 gallons more tied to the rail. A good average is 1.25 gallons an hour with my 2 stroke 9.9. So I can get 150nm under power if need be. Also the fuel is shared w the dinghy OB. (Dinghy Kept in the space the IB would occupy) I have a nice siphon hose to refuel as it decreases the chance of spillage.

One thing you may want to consider is a real marine head. 3 months with a porta potty would suck.

On the charging thing, A 30watt panel gives you 1amp or so about 10 hours a day in the winter. I figure it a 10ah capacity on a sunny day. With a 300ah house bank (2 batteries) I have to run GPS, VHF, depth sounder and the anchor light at night. My OB puts out 3 amps. If things get tight I can always get a transient slip and charge on shore power.

The Honda gen is a good idea and probably would come in handy. But space may be an issue.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:56   #23

I have wondered about the head situation. How long can you go between emptying a holding tank that is ten gallons or twenty gallons? I want to go to marinas as little as possible. Im wanting to do do something of a minimalist trip. Granted i do want to see people and places but don't want to spend money on things like 50 dollars a night parked at a dock ya know
Old 26-02-2013, 13:10   #24

We have a small tank, 10 gallons and the wife loves to rinse so we empty once a day. Turn seacock valve, throw switch and in 30 seconds its empty. We never dump near the marina etc. wish the tank was bigger. I was looking at a Catalina 25 wing keel w porto let and pop top on a trailer until she saw the 27 with a real toilet. Just bought last November so I feel for you. Kinda glad the 27 stays in the water as I did not really want to tow the 25 with my truck, intimidating.
Old 26-02-2013, 13:15   #25

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: advantage/disadvantage of outboard motor.

Personal opinion is that with a water ballast boat you'd be experiencing more ocean motion than perhaps you or your crew might enjoy, and you'd perhaps wish to pick your weather windows more carefully. It would maybe depend a lot on just where you wanted to go in the Caribbean; Bahamas might be easier than say, going all the way to the windwards or Spanish main.
Old 26-02-2013, 13:36   #26

I have a well used 27' luger with a swing keelright now and i pull it with my 2000 dodge 1500. I pulled it 125 miles home when i bought it. It was a little under powered but made it without issue so i figured with my brothers 1 ton diesel i should have no problems with a 27-29 foot boat.

As for my Caribbean adventure my plan as of now is to buy a boat in Florida somewhere and sail to the Bahamas. Should i decide after the first trip to continue the following year i will move deeper south.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03   #27

Boat: Pearson Triton

Another outboard conversion on a Vega that circumnavigated on a westward route from the Netherlands to Brazil, Argentina, Chile (rounding the South American continent via Beagle channel), Pacific ocean, Sydney, East coast of Australia, Darwin, Mauritius, South Africa, St Helena to the Caribbiean. Currently he is sailing eastwards on the north Atlantic to reach his home country in June. (SY Rebellion - Home)

Yamaha Enduro 8hp longtail (2009) -- "I replaced the inboard engine with an outboard, much lighter and easier to maintain. Not to mention more storage space and clean bilges! I built a well so the prop stays underwater even in confused seas. Only regret I have is not having done this earlier. The fuel tank sits in an airtight locker so fumes stay out of the boat." He also mentions elsewhere the advantage of using the same outboard for his Zodiac 310.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha,
The most popular production trailerable (swing keel) boats are up to 26. You've mentioned water ballasted MacGregor and Hunter. Have you looked at anything else such as Catalina 22 or 25? You've obviously sailed your swing keel Luger so you have something to compare water ballasted to non water ballasted. Which do you like the feel of?
If it were me I'd opt for the easiest to trailer and easiest to rig because you'll sail it more. I'd not got far off shore with a trailerable swing keel but many other sailors have.
Fin keelers on trailers require deep water to launch and bigger trailers meaning that you won't use the boat as much because they'll also require more effort to rig each time you want to launch unless you are going to keep it at a slip in a marina. Always a toss up.
I'd say an outboard on a boat up to about 30 feet is pretty much standard due to the space an inboard takes up and the ease in which a smaller boat can be pushed around.
Good luck in your decisions. You are getting a lot of good advice. Whatever boat you choose make certain the previous owners have taken good care of it and I'd advise that you get a popular for your area brand so that when it comes time to trade or sell you can find a buyer.
kind regards,
Old 12-05-2013, 14:29   #29

I have been getting a lot of good information. Thanks guys. I've had my eyes on a 1977 28' islander. Keeping my options open at the moment. Headed ro Florida wed morning for a week. Going to do a lot of shopping while Im there as there is a much better selection to choose from than up here. Hopefully get some sailing in. Been trying to get into a sailing class while Im there but everything is full that I've been calling on. We will see i guess.
Old 12-05-2013, 16:00   #30

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscotttrudel View Post
I have a 60 watt solar panel I paid $79.00 for new. It hooks to a controller I bought from Jameco for $30.00. The panel will put out 5 watts. My electric charger puts out a max of 15 watts.

I have my 12 volts batteries hooked in parallel for more strength. I also have an 850 inverter hooked up. I use it to run a fan and for the morning coffee pot. (650 watts)

This system is much better than a gas powered generator. I have a hard time getting my batteries below 50% charge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: