Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 13:25   #1

Additional options - Boat selection

Hello folks, I am doing my research into boats that might work for me, and I am seeking additional suggestions of what I might consider researching. I am looking into 28-32ft range cruising boats (Racing does not interest me). I am 6'2" and somewhat plump around the belly, so ability to maneuver while bellow (IE, headroom, longer birth, reasonable sized head) is of concern to me, as live-aboard is not out of the question. So far, my research has found that Nonsuch, island packet, Catalina and maybe Sabre (?), Tartan or Ericson (?) can offer me the space I desire (as an example, I went bellow a C&C27 and with my head hunched over my shoulders could touch the cabin top. this won't do). That said, while I intend to mostly be a great lakes and coastal cruiser, I do want the ability to do longer passages without the limitations of the boat significantly increasing the risks involved, such as the single sailed rig of the Nonsuch, or the much lighter construction of the Catalina may cause (or so I've read). If anyone has any additional suggestions of boats in the 30ftish range (or opinions on the boats listed above) that have reasonable sized interiors, I'd appreciate the additional options to research.
Kratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 13:39   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Additional options

Hi Kratch, this is a bit of a self-serving response, but have you looked at Grampians? Specifically, the Grampian 34. It is a spacious cruiser with 7' of headroom in the main cabin & head, and 6 1/2 in the aft and V-berth area. They are older boats now, so pretty inexpensive, but all Grampians are known as good, solid cruising boats.

... and yes, I'm currently selling one: Grampian 34 for sale. But regardless, you should take a look at them. It might be what you're looking for.
Old 19-09-2012, 20:49   #3

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into Grampian, though the timing isn't right for purchasing at the moment. (provided I can find a new job before I run through my savings) late next year or early the following is my target.

Based on the hull, I'm guessing they are generally ketchs? I'm unfamiliar with sailing those, would it be a great deal more difficult to single hand then a standard masthead sloop (assuming good weather daysails)? I do love the look of a center cockpit though, and that headroom sounds wonderful.
Old 19-09-2012, 21:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratch View Post
Based on the hull, I'm guessing they are generally ketchs? I'm unfamiliar with sailing those, would it be a great deal more difficult to single hand then a standard masthead sloop (assuming good weather daysails)? I do love the look of a center cockpit though, and that headroom sounds wonderful.
Ketches are in some ways easier to single hand than a similar sized sloop. The individual sales are usually smaller and if the wind picks up, instead of reefing the mainsail you can just drop the main and sail under jib and mizzen and still have a nice balanced rig.

If you like the ketch otherwise I wouldn't let that deter me from a boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:14   #5

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

What is your price range? Lots of great boats in the 28-32 foot range for liveaboard and cruising. Dreadnought 32, westsail28 or 32, Liberty 28, southern cross 28 or 31, Douglas 32, Bristol Channel Cutter 28, Nor'sea 27...is roomy too for single guy. Some might not consider a Catalina 30 a solid cruiser but it is a spacious boat. Our dock mate has one and it seems like a castle compared to our Alberg 30. I am sure there are many others....these are just a few
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 03:17   #6

Boat: Catalina 310
I would suggest you look at the Catalina 310 model. It is more stoutly built then I expected for a production boat. It was designed for coastal sailing but has many of the features of Catalina's off shore boats.

It is very comfortable at the dock or anchor. It has a queen walk around forward birth that you don't normally get until you're in 40+ footers. 20 gallon hot water heater.

Just my opinion but I am biased as i own one.
Old 20-09-2012, 04:04   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratch View Post
Actually, Grampian built a bunch of 34s as ketches, and then used the same hull and built a number of sloop/aft cockpits -- 50 in all I believe, so pretty rare. The ketches are known as the Grampian 34, and the sloops are denoted Grampian 2-34 (or 34-2). Same hull, but no aft cockpit and a bigger salon.

As Skip says, in some ways ketches are easier to sail than sloops. Ketches have a more versatile sailplan, and each individual sail tends to be smaller than the same sized sloop, so are individually easier to manage.

I loved sailing our ketch. When the wind would really pipe up we could easily balance by dropping the main entirely and running on jib & jigger. I soloed Elysian quite a bit. Loved it.
Old 20-09-2012, 06:34   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Bristol 31.1
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 13:28   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I've been living aboard a morgan 33 OI for seven years now. I'm also 6'2". These boats are very roomy. I operate a marine canvas business out of mine and the beam really is an asset to me. Although she is not a star upwind she tracks very well and sails like a dream off the wind. My next liveaboard will be an offshore 33. It also has plenty of headroom and beam. It comes in a cat ketch rig which is the ultimate single hand rig. Mine will be a custom rig.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 13:31   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

CS30. Lots of them around at decent prices.
Old 20-09-2012, 13:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bristol 31.1
Beat me to it!

I have a 31.1 and am 6ft 5. I can just stand up straight in the salon. The V berth is plenty long enough too.

35.5s might be worth looking at, prices are $50 to 60K for a nice one vs. $40K for a 31.1.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 13:52   #12

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

IMHO, 30 feet LOA is too small for a ketch. One economical option if you liked a ketch but the rig was shot is to discard the rig entirely, and drop a junk mast and sail in where the mainmast used to be. I say this because the rig on all those bargain 30 footers everyone mentions almost always need new rigging, and a new mast is some cases.

But otherwise, it seems this will be your first boat, so concentrate on getting a good boat for the lake and coastwise cruising. When you're ready to go blue water, you'll know what you want from that experience.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 22:07   #13

Thanks all for the feedback. Cruiser2b especially, that is a very long list and will give me plenty to research. I'm surprised, but glad to hear about ketch's. For some reason I thought they would require more crew to manage, and so hadn't considered them.

Budget, provided things work out relatively as planned (famous last words) should put me sitting with about $20K this time next year (25K for May the following year). I figured that would buy me a 15K boat outright with some money for immediate concerns and storage/club fees. I'm confident I can easily get financing for about 60K (I'm not willing to go higher) if I found something particularly appealing, but I prefer to minimalize my credit/debt.
Old 21-09-2012, 15:20   #14

I would go with the brand new Catalina 315. Beautiful interior, 6' 3 inch headroom. Fast as well!
EBB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 16:32   #15

Boat: Niagara 35

Niagara 31, perhaps. Fantastic boats, Frers design.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote