Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 12:40   #16

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: Additional options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Kratch, this is a bit of a self-serving response, but have you looked at Grampians? Specifically, the Grampian 34. It is a spacious cruiser with 7' of headroom in the main cabin & head, and 6 1/2 in the aft and V-berth area. They are older boats now, so pretty inexpensive, but all Grampians are known as good, solid cruising boats.

... and yes, I'm currently selling one: Grampian 34 for sale. But regardless, you should take a look at them. It might be what you're looking for.
I owned a Grampian 30 sloop many years back. She was rock solid and a joy to sail. Had problems with leaky portlights, but Mike appears to have refitted his 34 with some really nice stainless steel ones. I realize it's not a popular brand since they went out of business early, making them easily overlooked.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 13:44   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
I owned a Grampian 30 sloop many years back. She was rock solid and a joy to sail. Had problems with leaky portlights, but Mike appears to have refitted his 34 with some really nice stainless steel ones. I realize it's not a popular brand since they went out of business early, making them easily overlooked.
Thanks zUrchin. I love the 30 as well. And as you say, all the Gramps are well known as solid, comfortable cruisers. Not fancy, but well built, solid, and joys to sail.

We were having some leaks in the old ports, which is part of the reason we replaced them all. We also wanted something more sea worthy (smaller and stronger), and also ones we could open. That's why we pulled all the old ones, then had a professional reglass in the two cabins. We then cut new holes for the New Found Metals' ports. It was a hell of a job (and pretty pricey!), but I love the new ports.

We've been upgrading Elysian for an eventual liveaboard and sail down to the Carib, and then likely beyond. We're only selling b/c we moved up three feet.
Old 23-09-2012, 20:13   #18

Boat: Com-pac 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks zUrchin. I love the 30 as well. And as you say, all the Gramps are well known as solid, comfortable cruisers. Not fancy, but well built, solid, and joys to sail.

We were having some leaks in the old ports, which is part of the reason we replaced them all. We also wanted something more sea worthy (smaller and stronger), and also ones we could open. That's why we pulled all the old ones, then had a professional reglass in the two cabins. We then cut new holes for the New Found Metals' ports. It was a hell of a job (and pretty pricey!), but I love the new ports.

We've been upgrading Elysian for an eventual liveaboard and sail down to the Carib, and then likely beyond. We're only selling b/c we moved up three feet.
You really did a good job with the new ports it could not have been easy. Watch out when the condensers go bad on those Atomic 4s. It'll make you think you've got other engine or fuel related problems because the engine would start but then stop after after few minutes. It was a cheap $2.00 Condenser for some of the old Chevy Trucks at Napa that fixed tthat perplexing problem. I hope you still have the hand crank that alllows you start even when the battery may be dead.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 04:29   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
You really did a good job with the new ports it could not have been easy. Watch out when the condensers go bad on those Atomic 4s. It'll make you think you've got other engine or fuel related problems because the engine would start but then stop after after few minutes. It was a cheap $2.00 Condenser for some of the old Chevy Trucks at Napa that fixed tthat perplexing problem. I hope you still have the hand crank that alllows you start even when the battery may be dead.
Thanks for the tip zUrchin. The A-4 in our Grampian 34 is a rebuild, so other than burning a bit of oil, she's been very reliable. No condenser problems -- yet . We did have fuel problems for a while (gunk in the tank), but a monster Racor has taken care of that.