Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 11:44   #16

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer
Re: Adding outboard to Cal 29

A long time ago I owned an Ericson 27 with a 9.9 outboard, 25" high thrust. It moved the 7000 # boat very well. The motor was mounted on center. Since the rudder was forward of the motor (same as your C29, I believe) I had excellent control in reverse, as prop wash flowed over the rudder in reverse. As was noted above, when in forward, some boat speed is necessary for the rudder to work. I also had remote controls, which made using the setup very pleasant.
With all the recent improvements in OB technology, I think that re-powering with an OB is a sensible alternative, especially if the OB is electric start with a good alternator.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 11:52   #17

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
Water does not have to flow over the tiller - that'd get the helmsman wet. Water flows by the rudder.
Got me! My only defense is that I've been using a wheel for so long I dont remember the tiller/rudder connection. Well, that and old age...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:48   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegman View Post
A long time ago I owned an Ericson 27 with a 9.9 outboard, 25" high thrust. It moved the 7000 # boat very well. The motor was mounted on center. Since the rudder was forward of the motor (same as your C29, I believe) I had excellent control in reverse, as prop wash flowed over the rudder in reverse. As was noted above, when in forward, some boat speed is necessary for the rudder to work. I also had remote controls, which made using the setup very pleasant.
With all the recent improvements in OB technology, I think that re-powering with an OB is a sensible alternative, especially if the OB is electric start with a good alternator.
An excellent point about mounting aft of the rudder, for prop wash in reverse, as opposed to one side or the other. Just out of curiosity had you had the existing inboard looked at. Diesels are hard to kill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:48   #19

Boat: Endeavour 32

A previous owner removed the Atomic out of my Morgan 27 and installed a outboard Honda 9.9. It works great but you want to make sure you can adjust your mounting to get the shaft properly into the water. Without the inboard there is extra room for storage and you have the pleasure of knowing your cutlass bearing won't go bad or the shaft seal won't leak and no motor smell in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:57   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
An excellent point about mounting aft of the rudder, for prop wash in reverse, as opposed to one side or the other. Just out of curiosity had you had the existing inboard looked at. Diesels are hard to kill.
That was my question in an earlier post too? No way you can repair the diesel?
Old 24-04-2015, 14:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
Water does not have to flow over the tiller - that'd get the helmsman wet. Water flows by the rudder.
Damn! Is that why I get so wet.

I think you are picking on someone's semantics. Oops I need to go down stairs to the toilet.
Old 24-04-2015, 14:13   #22

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer

My Ericson 27 was a 1973, which I owned around 1990. It appeared that the boat had been designed for an inboard motor, because it did not have a cut-out in the transom. I don't know if an earlier owner had converted to OB powers, or if the original owner had requested the solid transom with OB.
As with all things marine, the best choice depends on how the boat is to be used. Inland or on semi-protected water, the OB has the advantage of freeing up a lot of space on board, and completely removing the diesel smell that some find problematic. And of course service and replacement are far less expensive than with an inboard engine.
For more serious blue-water use, the inboard has important advantages, including better balance with lower center of gravity, much better fuel capacity, much better electricity generation, and of course a much better prop position in the water.
For the more limited use described by the OP, an OB seems like a reasonable solution, if repairing the inboard is not feasible.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:25   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You boat deserves an inboard engine on the order of 30 horsepower.
How do you figure the 30HP number? The rule of thumb is 3-5HP/ton, & the boat in question weighs about 4t.

That said, a family member had a Cal 29 for over a decade. And it had a single cylinder, 10HP Bukh. Which powered the boat just fine, even through the notorious 6' square waves which you get on the Great Lakes.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 19:34   #24
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I got my boat with a 25 hp mounted on an aluminum bracket. In bad weather the weight was destroying the bracket, that's why I get a S S bracket. Like I said before, get a long one or you're going to leave the prop in the water all the time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1429929036.242609.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	100902Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1429929129.658528.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	100903Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1429929219.274060.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	100904

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-04-2015, 19:48   #25

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini

Thanks everyone for the replies, and thanks Ita for the pics. Makes it easier for me to understand and visualize

As for repair, the guy I had look at it said it would need a rebuild or replacement. I am going to get a second opinion, but the engine appears neglected to my untrained eye.
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:25   #26

Boat: Scout 30

The biggest problem with an outboard on the stern is keeping the prop in the water when heading into waves which is when you need it most. You want the prop as deep in the water as you can get it but it still needs to come all of the way out of the water when you pull it up.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningDaylight View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, and thanks Ita for the pics. Makes it easier for me to understand and visualize

As for repair, the guy I had look at it said it would need a rebuild or replacement. I am going to get a second opinion, but the engine appears neglected to my untrained eye.
Sometimes an old diesel engine can be nearly a pile of rust but still can get running. If the guy you had look at it is in the repair rebuild business then he'll suggest you repair or rebuild it. See if you can find someone who is a do it yourself mechanicly inclined sailor to take a look at it.
Old 25-04-2015, 10:18   #28

Boat: Scout 30

If you post the exact issue with the diesel you might get some help getting it going again.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 12:34   #29

I'll go back to my prior post about no steerage with a tiller, till achieving some motion. Someone had to say not with the inboard either, at least the rudder had prop wash with an inboard. Mount the OB so you have steerage with, "it's tiller handle" or jury rig it so it operates with the tiller. You have had some good advise as far as getting the prop deep enough in the water and out when not in use.

Good luck.

Docking with no steerage sucks. Carry a bunch of liability insurance.
Old 25-04-2015, 12:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'll go back to my prior post about no steerage with a tiller, till achieving some motion. Someone had to say not with the inboard either, at least the rudder had prop wash with an inboard. Mount the OB so you have steerage with, "it's tiller handle" or jury rig it so it operates with the tiller. You have had some good advise as far as getting the prop deep enough in the water and out when not in use.

Good luck.

Docking with no steerage sucks. Carry a bunch of liability insurance.
I used to have a little Catalina 22 with a Johnson 6 on it. At that time (early 80s) I had not seen the setup were engine and rudder could be linked with an arm. I would just reach over the stern and turn the engine parrallel to the rudder. In his case I believe the rudder and outboard would be a bit harder to link together in that when the engine is in the water the tiller arm to it is much lower than the top edge of the transom. I'm certain it can be done and maybe would be easy enough with a cable system but might need some more engineering.

Let's see if he's going to give up on the diesel completely.

Tags
cal, cal 29, outboard