Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 16:39   #1

Boat: Tanzer 28
Adding a bow sprit....

I have two Tanzer 28's. One is a junker, and the other will get wet this spring. Spent the last fall and this winter bringing her up to snuff. I have been toying with the idea of adding a bowsprit. I have lots of spare sails/rigging and another roller furler, and a buddy owns a boat wrecking yard, so parts and $'s are not an issue. Thought it would be nice to have a roller and a mount for the anchors. She is a fat little beast, I didn't think a little more cloth would hurt on those quiet days. A cutter rig with a bow-sprit ... oh now that is a sight!
What do you think? Am I just going to mess it up...what else may require modification...(heavier back-stay/more rudder/....sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.... You can tell me so....
Farmr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 16:56   #2

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Re: adding a bow sprit....

Post some pics and schematics / sail plan and let's build a boat!

...What have you got to loose?
Marpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 17:38   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

IANAMA (I am not a marine architect) but you'd probably need to look at rigging a bobstay.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 18:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Does she sail with a lot of weather helm?? A bowsprit will change the center of effort and may create a lee helm situation depending how the boat currently balances. It's not uncommon for boats with weather helm to add a bowsprit to better balance them. You'd probably be okay with a short sprit in any case though I'd want to sail the boat to see how it handles.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:01   #5

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

If you keep the boat in a slip, consider the potential for getting hit for the additional fees of having a longer boat. The most practical way of accomplishing what you suggest though not the cheapest is to go all stainless like the photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	116432  
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:44   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Its one thing if you just wanted to add a spinnaker but creating a cutter rig. That is marine architecture and I suspect most qualified pros would tell you the odds on messing something up are great. Now if you had one of those along with your parts supplier I would say go for it.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

impossible to give good advice without a lot more details but it is certainly possible to fly a goaster from a bowsprit, lots of boats ternd to have neutral or lee helm in light winds when sailing upright and some more sail forward can improve them. On the other hand if you have fine entry and a broad stern you can easily bury the bow.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:14   #8

For a sail just add a jib pole that slides out the distance you need. bobstays help unless you are only going to use in light winds. For the anchor you can buy metal slots that extend outward on either side of the jib stay.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25   #9

As Roverhi said, it depends on how much weather helm you have now. Often a short (1-2 ft)sprit/anchor platform can be added with no degradation or even improvement. or if you are just looking for anchor placement and improvement, the headstay can stay as originally located, with the "sprit" for anchor stuff.
What many people miss in the discussion is how much the CE changes by just going from a 150% genny to a Jib anyway.... and combined with mainsail reefing..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:22   #10

Boat: Tanzer 28

Thanks! All great concerns....
I haven't sailed this craft yet, so I can't even comment on her handling. I hoped someone had experience on this type. I have been told the rudder needs altering from stock... most have been changed to a beaver tail shape from the steam-lined form. This isn't a project for this season.... tis only season for contemplation. After a season on the water, I may search out an alternate rudder, (buddy has a stack of them leaning against his warehouse.)
My marina doesn't charge any different for my 22 or 28... I am not sure if I get over 30.... maybe... but I'll ask.

I appreciate all your input. I will attempt to post a photo....Thanks again!
Farmr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:30   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
lots of boats ternd to have neutral or lee helm in light winds when sailing upright and some more sail forward can improve them.
I believe that adding sail area forward will increase lee helm, not cure it.

Jim
Old 09-01-2016, 14:38   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hmmm I was thinking of the same idea as a place to add a roller asymmetrical for those light wind days. Mine is a c&c 27 so the characteristics are, umm similar. Not sure if I gain anything but since you have parts I think I'll wait and see how yours turns out :-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2016, 15:40   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You want to have a little weather helm on the boat but not too much that when in a strong blow, you are wrestling the tiller. Generally speaking the designer of a vessel carefully designs it for a slight bit of weather helm. One boat, back in the 60's, a Rawson 30 had the mast too far forward because of excessive weather helm. Later either the owners or the factory on later models, added a 2 foot bow sprit. But that is the only one I know of that did what you want to do but for a good reason.
To rig it as a cutter the mast would have to be moved aft several inches which would include moving the chainplates.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:26   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

That would be a great idea if you are planning a tradewind passage, like crossing the atlantic on the classic canaries to carib route. Otherwise, I think you are just making work for yourself. Splash the boat and do some sailing instead. Tanzer makes a good boat. Enjoy.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:32   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmr Mike View Post
Thanks! All great concerns....
I haven't sailed this craft yet, so I can't even comment on her handling. I hoped someone had experience on this type. I have been told the rudder needs altering from stock... most have been changed to a beaver tail shape from the steam-lined form. This isn't a project for this season.... tis only season for contemplation. After a season on the water, I may search out an alternate rudder, (buddy has a stack of them leaning against his warehouse.)
My marina doesn't charge any different for my 22 or 28... I am not sure if I get over 30.... maybe... but I'll ask.

I appreciate all your input. I will attempt to post a photo....Thanks again!
The Tanzer 22 came with a scimitar shaped rudder. The T22 association commissioned a computer designed balanced spade rudder which they sold in great numbers to their membership. The new rudder was described as "power steering" or "fingertip control" compared to the cumbersome unbalanced original. I believe the new rudder was also commonly used on the T26 as well. However, the T28 is a bigger, tubbier beast, needing a bigger rudder as well.

I suggest you leave the rig the way it is. Tanzer made good boats, fast, fun to sail. Enjoy it for a while "factory original" before you go re-inventing the wheel. I'd put my effort into single line, or quick reefing gear instead.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote