Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 18:06   #1

Boat: boat Lastcall sold, looking for another
Adams Tasman 26 - Good or Bad in Blue Water ?

G'day,
Need some advice please. Am looking to get a small cruiser to potter around the bay, but also do the odd trip in Bass Straight. Found an Adams Tasman 26 for sale up near Sydney, but this means bringing it down the east coast and thru Bass Straight. That big paddock scares me, esp going west. Have been told Adams Tasman 26'ers are strong lil coastal cruisers, but have also had a salesman tell me he would not take one offshore. He was trying to sell me something else tho. Presuming the engine is ok (has 8 hp low hours, replaced 10 years ago) and given the hull is ok (built mid 80's I think) and she is set up for solo (furler, leads to cockpit) would you recommend?
Thxks
Lastcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 23:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Conditions in Bass Straight

I can't comment on the Adams. Other members could know the design better, and a surveyor could give an opinion on the actual boat.

A newly purchased boat would almost certainly need considerable preparation before crossing such a difficult stretch of water.

There has been some debate on this Forum as to whether a smaller boats can be blue water capable. The boats that are mentioned may have heavier construction than normal. A search could be instructive.

The other aspect that needs considering is your experience. Some might suggest that experience is more important than the boat when planning a voyage.

I did find a webpage with some information, in particular:-

Bass Straight Cruising

Quote:
You mustn't tackle Bass Strait in a boat that is not capable of water sailing">blue water sailing or without an appropriate crew in terms of both numbers and experience. What measures up as a blue water boat can be very subjective but purely in terms of size anything less than nine metres long will find the going tough out there - but there are some boats, much longer than this, that shouldn't be seen outside the Heads. You must be the final judge. Just as important is the safety gear and equipment which should be to the level of AYF Category 2 Safety Regulations - and to learn how to use it.
The other aspect to what you are asking is what sort of weather window you could expect/need.

The Adams 26 has a beam of 3m, so it may not be that difficult to have the mast removed, the boat loaded on a truck and Bass Straight crossed on the Spirit of Tasmania.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:10   #3

Wouldn't dream of it. No doubt you could do it in the right window but why bother? There's nothing special about a plastic 26 footer - they are everywhere and are really just daysailers. And anything Adams is best suited to racing around the cans rather than pottering about.

My advice is to look closer to home. If you're in Hastings, you've got a choice of thousands of vessels in Westernport Bay (if my geography is right) that would be better suited to the local conditions. And you'll have no trouble and few costs bringing it to you own landing.

Too many folks look too far from home for boats when there are plenty of goodies at their door imho.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16   #4

Boat: Compass 28
If you want something around that size that is well proven, consider a Top Hat.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
If you want something around that size that is well proven, consider a Top Hat.
That's a good suggestion; they are blue water and would do the Strait easy. But for pottering around all the shallow bits in the bay, maybe a bilge keeler or multihull. Or all three?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:50   #6

Thxks guys,
All great advice. I have organised v experienced friend to come along, and expect to spend lots time port hopping and waiting on right weather. Also have been considering truck, but waiting till I see boat first. Top Hats have been suggested to me also, but for some reason I don't like the shape / inside whatever. Have not bought yet, still looking. Deciding also whether $3000 better spent on liferaft (which would last 5 - 7 years) or truck fees, last 2 days. Thought the trip half the fun, but will further consider.
Old 10-02-2011, 16:24   #7

Do bear in mind that unfortunately you can't have it all!

For Bass Strait you really must have something stable and well-ballasted, which means a substantial single fixed keel (like the Top Hat).

But a yacht that will let you explore Westernport's many shallower parts, like a bilge or swing/drop keel, will inherently be a major (and possibly dangerous) compromise in the strait.

If the delivery trip is the only time you are likely to be "outside" for an extended period, I'd suggest you go bilge or trailer-sailer and if necessary truck/trailer it to Hastings.
Old 10-02-2011, 16:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I owned a top hat, top boat that has done circumnavigations. Havent owned an adamstasman 26 but have sailed on a few and I would have thought an Adams Tasman 26 would have been at least its equal - all other things such as build quality age of rigging etc, being equal.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 16:51   #9

Thxks for the advice Factor. I have seen Top Hats around club, they seem sturdy & safe. But Adams seemed bit faster & lighter. Want to be able to get between the bay here (Westernport) and the back bay (Port Phillip), which means time outside. Also to be able to do the odd trip down to Wilson's Prom etc, also means Bass Strait. Have done lots time around the bay in an old trailer sailer, so agree that good to be able to raise keel (been stuck on mud few times), but can't have it all as Lockie said, so looking for fixed keel and chance for open water. Build quality may well be problem with the Adams - I am told some of them were 'home made' not factory, so not sure how to tell. Then again I have seen a 'home made' Supersonic 28 (1 foot longer than standard build I was told) that was built like a tank. Retired naval engineer. BTW, I see you have gone to the dark side.
Old 10-02-2011, 19:06   #10

Another "built like a brick s**thouse" option for you is a Compass 28. I sail one out into Bass Strait and find it very stable and reassuring. PM me if you want to come for a ride.
Old 15-03-2011, 03:24   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Adams Tasman 26 - Good or Bad in Blue Water?

Oh and Last call, any of the Cavalier range is worth a look, there are two Cav 28s for example in my club that punch well above their weight. Really good little boats.

And yes I am the antichrist - I have travelled to the dark side and not returned.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:56   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Nothing 26 is blue water. People do blue water in 26 only because this is what they have or else when they are nuts enough.

Was looking for such a boat on yachtworld and sailboatdatabase but could not find, any link?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 16:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nothing 26 is blue water. People do blue water in 26 only because this is what they have or else when they are nuts enough.

Was looking for such a boat on yachtworld and sailboatdatabase but could not find, any link?
Here's one cobber, and anyone going blue water in that is "a better man than I Gundagai"

Used Tasman 26 for Sale | Yachthub
Old 15-03-2011, 17:08   #14

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Adams Tasman 26 - Good or Bad in Blue Water ?

It depends where in bass strait you are going to sail. If you just going to pop your head out and have a look. no probs. Just pick the day. Similarly, if youre going to gunkhole the boat to gippsland area. But if youre going to sail across to Hobart, you can add thousands of dollars in bits and peices. The boat would make it assuming the rig etc are ok. There are boats that would make it safer and some that would have a greater element of risk. Its the Piece of String question.

I Sailed on a Tasman 22 many years ago. I was surprised how dry the boat was compared to similar sized boats.

Borrow steal rent a J24 trailer and get the boat towed down with a mates Landcruiser or similar. It will save you a lot of messing around.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 18:35   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Adams Tasman 26 - Good or Bad in Blue Water ?

Adams designs are well regarded by most.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams, water