Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 19:55   #1

adams 36 traditional

Any comments regarding the performance of these yachts with regard to bluewater capability? Am currently in a swanson 28 (bit tired of bumping my head and the cat needs a swing!)
seano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 21:42   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: adams 36 traditional

They were built by a Mike Barrett up at Terry Hills at the same time he was building the Peter Cole designed Traditional 30 in what is now the Buizen factory.

Mike built great boats and concentrated on pleasing his clients. All the 36 were commissioned at RPAYC and many ultimately found homes on Pittwater at that club.

As for sailing ability, I haven't sailed one but I am told they are a nice stiff boat, quite dry and very easy to sail. I always thought the rig was a touch small for the boat which is consistent with some comments I received about speed.

They are certainly a world away from your Swanson 28 but by today's standards of Jeanneau, Beneteau etc are still fairly basic unless owners have upgraded them.

I do believe several have sailed around the world and I know of lots of trips to the Whitsundays and pacific islands.

Anyway good luck with it and remember always get yourself a survey ( they are getting old now)

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 22:44   #3

I have one in Tassie, love it.
Fast at sea, well balanced, plenty of sail area, stiff as a brick.
Delivery trip from Melbourne, none of the crew had sailed the boat before, 72 hours to the Derwent down the East Coast.
Nothing really bumpy though, did 12 knots in Banks Strait.
This boat has done a few Westcoasters, was clocked at 19 knots on the Tassie South Coast.
Planning to go north next year, don't expect any surprises.
It has a proper Adams design hull, not an IOR bump in sight, clean straight run. About a foot less beam than a plastic fantastic, but that is what helps it sail so well.
Hull is very similar to A Zeston 36, just lighter and less freeboard.
We have a traditional interior, without the head compartment in the middle of the boat, feels quite roomy.
The hard dodger is great at sea. We have a sliding panel in it so there is good headroom over the hatch. Some don't have that, but it is a simple retrofit. The other great features at sea are high bulwarks, and the rig was designed from scratch to be a real cutter.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 22:58   #4

The cockpit is huge, great for guests. We have extra large drains out through the transom in case it fills.
At first a traveller across the cockpit seems a problem, but it means all the winches and sail controls are back in reach of the helm, so the boat is easy to sail two up.
Our boat was originally set up for double handed long distance racing, so it is a bit different from the standard layout. Works well.
We were looking at Adams 12's and 13's, eventually settled on the 36 because they have a solid glass hull, and the others are cored.
Even synthetic cores are a problem after thirty years, no issues with a solid hull.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams