Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2010, 23:10   #1

Thumbs up Adams 35 Design ?

Hi, I am looking at making an offer on a 1994 Adams 35 and was wondering if I could get some opinions as to the design, re sale, and general cruising ability of these yachts? Specs are as follows... 3.8mm Steel hull, aft cabin, 30hp nanni, cutter rig..the yacht was built by a professional and I am quite sure that it's construction is very good..I would just like some opinions or reviews as to the designs ability for coastal / ocean sailing..I will be getting a survey done prior to purchase it absolutely nessecary to do a sailing test??
Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks , Tristan
Tristannelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Happy campers...

The only criticism that I have ever heard of Joe Adams designs has been that some can be a little low in the headroom department.

So if you've been through the boat a few times and your head is still on your shoulders it's probably OK, but still check carefully.

The other thing I'd recommend before calling in the surveyor would be to get a small inspection mirror and torch and check along stringers, frames and bulkheads for corrosion.

If you do get as far as a survey do make sure your surveyor is fully experienced with steel, particularly below waterline paint quality.
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I bought my Ted Brewer Murray 33 without a sail test. Since I didn't know how to sail there was not much point in a test. Things have worked out OK although I still suspect that I am the weak link in the sail department.

At that length and plating she will not be quick but that is a personal preference. I like my Murray 33 well enough and they sound to be roughly similar boats.

I would however take a great deal of time to inspect and investigate the hull plating as said above. Especially the interior. Rust can hide under new paint, for a while.

Also, if you buy the boat, steel boats want to remain DRY inside. A little moisture can do a lot of damage. If you are going to be leaving the boat for any period of time it needs to have very good ventilation. I saw a South African steel boat a couple of months ago. It had been on the hard for a while and was just soaked inside, mildew was already a bad issue. If someone doesn't buy that boat fast it will be scrap.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

adams, adams 35

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: