Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Ackerman Newporter 40

These boats are pretty interesting to me. I'm writing this because one has become available in our marina... she needs work but will therefore be pretty cheap. Bristol versions go fo anywhere from 45,000 to 60,000 so for someone who can do the work this might be a good deal. I am not doing this to make any money I just want her to getr back on the water and help keep her out of the crusher, which happens way too often around here.

I first heard of these from reading Royce's Sailing illustrated where he said that they a great layout and were really easy to live in. I have since seen a couple of them and they really are lovely inside with a wonderful, out of the way galley (the originals boasted both ac and dc refrigeration and on one I visited last year the refrigeration was still working fine) that is well done for work in a seaway and there is a lot of good berth space and stowage. They are not particularly fast but they will steer themselves very easily. They are ply sheathed in glass so need looking after and there have been a couple of cases of rot from the cap rail down. A friend of mine ran into a Beneteau owner who was lamenting that he had ever traded up from his. I will try to scare up some pics. There is no owner's association but the owners of the three I have visited were very proud of their boats and it showed in how well they were cared for.
Please send me a PM if you are curious. I can give you the good bad and ugly on this Newporter which is a cutter rigged ketch.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40   #2

Boat: Pearson 281
Here is a link w photos for one that's up for $59,000
Beaufort Yacht Sales (Beaufort, NC)&
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 03:07   #3

newporter owners website

there is a website with tons of photos, history, and technical discussions of Newporter 40 sailboats.

great site - hope you visit.

bob mitchell's Discussions - Newporter 40 Together
tbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:20   #4

Re: Ackerman Newporter 40

This boat has been SOLD
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote