Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2013, 07:37   #16

Re: Access - Boarding Astern

Stumpkiller:

When I say premade, I mean that we can buy from the store after the boat is purchased if we need it, rather than homemade.

Old 17-07-2013, 08:55   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
we joined a Crossfit Gym
I think that's a great step for almost anyone. After a bit you'll be able to see the equipment and techniques that are most important, and then you can start doing your own portable (and free) version.

This morning here in Mexico I was doing sprints in the sand, pullups (non kipping; those are ridiculous to me no matter how many crossfit people claim otherwise), dips, and pushups. Yesterday was with the kettlebell. Tomorrow will be lighter kb and plyos.

I've got some other gear but this stuff gives me the most bang for my buck. The big heavy kettlebell is the only part that's a pain in the ass to haul around but it's worth it.

Old 17-07-2013, 08:59   #18

Boat: contessa 32

To exit easily (or at all) the swim ladder should have the first step under water AND the 2nd step at water level.
Old 17-07-2013, 09:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
To exit easily (or at all) the swim ladder should have the first step under water AND the 2nd step at water level.
We have three underwater and it's "sufficient". If someone is 6' tall and just their head is sticking out, their feet are 5' under the surface. Kicking them up to a step in a crunched position then getting erect is a decent move, especially for someone who's out of shape and not used to that kind of work load.

I think it's pretty telling why you don't see a lot of over-50-over-50 (over 50 years old and over 50 pounds overweight) people hopping in the water. Getting back out can be down right impossible for some of them.
Old 17-07-2013, 09:14   #20

Rebel Heart:

I've been looking at some blogs of people that keep fit while on the boat and they all seem to find ways to continue to work out. Have to admit, never thought of bringing a kettlebell along. I could see me dropping that thru the fiberglass. Don't think my husband would laugh.

It does become sort of addictive.

At one point they had us lay on our backs and we had to roll over and then sprint.
Well, my mind was willing, but the body just wasn't -- hilarious as only part of me moved forward and the rest stayed behind. We all laughed so hard.

Now we have all integrated into the regular workouts but 10 of the 12 still come at 7 pm but into the regular class. Jumping onto 12" boxes instead of the 24" like the regular class, but as the weight comes off and the muscles get into shape, that will come. With my husband and I going together, it also gets us off the couch 3 nights a week and I go to the Saturday morning 7:30 workout also.

It's kind of like being a kid again if you have a group with a sense of humor. And tremendously good at taking the stress out of your life. My husband is now off his blood pressure medication, his cholesterol meds were cut in half, his victosa dialed down. My tryglicerides dropped from 109to 47 and that was just after the first 6 weeks of this.

Figure this will not only extend our lives, but make them much more enjoyable as we age better.
Old 17-07-2013, 09:51   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm a huge fitness wonk. It's hard with two kids, the boat, and being in a developing/third world country, but that's basically a big pile of excuses so I try to make the best of the situation. I used to do olympic lifting and power lifting competitively, so although a KB really doesn't belong on a boat it was either that or a full set of olympic bars and plates.

The super valuable thing you guys are doing is the zero-to-fitness curve. It's painful, it hurts, and it can be a bit demoralizing. But it's so critical because even when you get "fit" you still will catch injuries and need to go backwards, and then you'll be right back in the same steep fitness curve except it's even worse because you'll remember that you used to be stronger/faster/leaner.

From what I've seen the real secret to long term fitness is getting back on the horse. It's super easy to stay fit once you're strong and lean. It's a lot harder when you're tired, depressed, hurt, and demoralized.

Regarding KB's as well, maybe consider some smaller sizes just for doing Turkish get ups. Get ups are terrific exercises and are deceptively simple. The KB size you'd use for them is definitely much smaller than anything you'd swing or snatch. You can also justify a heavy KB because it (truthfully) works great as an anchor kellet.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:17   #22

I have found the tired, depressed, hurt and demoralized comes in waves. Last week I felt all of those as I was looking at how far I still had to go, very demoralizing - while feeling miserable.

Then I took Saturday off and this week I am ready to go again, and having fun at it. Looked at your blog and liked the friends gym in his garage. Going to show that to my husband. There isn't anything except maybe the rope climb that you couldn't have in anybody's garage - which is what is so good about these places. No excuse not to continue forever.

Well, hope to see you out there some day --I very much admire anyone living on the water with children.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: