Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 18:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Access behind paneling under mast catalina 30

I can't quite figure out how to access behind the paneling separating the main dining area from the head. The screws that go through it are structural and obviously hold the chainplates in place. The mast is deck stepped atop the corner that the door to the head swings on.

Is it just a matter of drilling out the wooden plugs (almost invisible) and wriggling around? My VHF coax is trash, and I would like to take a look / replace the cabin fixture.

1989 Catalina by the way. I should/will post pics next time.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 18:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Access behind paneling under mast catalina 30

[QUOTE=carlspackler;904178]I can't quite figure out how to access behind the paneling separating the main dining area from the head. The screws that go through it are structural and obviously hold the chainplates in place. The mast is deck stepped atop the corner that the door to the head swings on.
QUOTE]

We have been restoring a 1984 Camper & Nicholson 58 for 5 years. Just last spring I found yet another hidden panel. THe marquetry is so goo that it is nearly impossible to see hidden joints. To remove this one, I have to wear tacky rubber gloves and pull/slide the sections apart. Turns out oto be a great hiding place. We found a similar cubby the year before with two directors chairs stored inside.

If it is a hollow section, there is likely a way in although, the builder may have glued it all as one. see if you can find a Catalina group or contact the manufacturer.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 22:24   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Access behind paneling under mast catalina 30

I think you are correct on the plugs. I have not gotten to that part of my refit yet. I need to run cable to the top of my mast for the VHF antenna so that will be important.
I already know that various items with cables are on the masthead; and I do not see the cabling, which means it is through the mast seat. I am not looking forward to the exercise of having her mast pulled just so I can mess with the cables.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, mast