Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 15:01   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

1995 Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It's a bit much for the boat but it appears this has been well taken care of pending mine and official survey.

I like the layout, deck, motor, AC, gen, watermaker et al.

I don't like the draft for the Caribbean nor the lack of dive platform. I want to SCUBA off the boat.

This will be my first sailboat and will be two handed vast majority. Yes, Ive had lessons and I'm 'certified'. My open ocean experience is power boats to 40 feet.

My choice is to buy this boat but the admiral needs more marketing Jedi mind tricks first. 2006 Dolphin 460 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thoughts and suggestions.
__________________

__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 15:40   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Forgot to add we are retired and will live aboard a lot with some land based time as well.

I've looked at a Stevens 40 and a Hylas.
__________________

__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 16:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Port St. Joe, FL
Boat: Hunter 33
Posts: 53
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Beautiful boat. A little deep but not bad for a 44. The in mast furling will make it easy to sail short handed. If you've got the cush I would say its a good candidate.
__________________
If life gives you limes make margaritas -- Jimmy Buffett
La Porte Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:15   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Bene 44 would make vy good live aboard. And dont let draft be a concern -
even at 6-ft, you'll get into more places than you'll be kept out of.
As far as a divr platform, doesnt that boat have a modified sugar scoop stern? Even if not, and if you dont want to climb swim ladder with tank,you can remove tank while
in water & clip onto a down line. Use OB motor life, or hand over hand tank up and on board.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Moon River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 17:49   #5
Registered User
 
Wench'sCaptain's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Hunter Helsen 470
Posts: 132
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

We are retired as well and full time cruisers. Our 42CC has done us well. I don't think you will have regrets. I can single hand if needed with a little forethought. The draft has not been a big issue. Just plan well.
__________________
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 20:24   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Still looking at this boat but we are all over the place. Looked at a Beneteau 49 and a 44 but leaning more towards IP or Dolphin 460. If I'm living on a boat I want a nice one to do so. I still may go smaller.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 21:03   #7
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,851
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Howdy Jobberone.

I looked at both boats you linked. Both are nice. Big difference in cost though.

If you have the money for the 2006 Cat (about $500K) and you want a sugar scoop or easy entry to the water for diving AND you want to enjoy a luxurious retirement on the boat, I would suggest taking a look at a boat I recently learned about that looks VERY nice and would be ideal for cruising the waters of Florida, Bahamas, or Caribbean.

NOTE: I have no connection to the boat or brokers or manufacturers. I am simply passing on information about a boat I found very interesting and one that appeals to me for similar purposes (retirement, live aboard, cruising shallow waters of Florida, Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean).

46RK | Seaward Yachts

The Hake Seaward 46RK is a very different kind of boat that has some of the best features of a cat (low draft of only 2' 5" with keel raised), can be beached, and can be equipped with TWIN 75 HP diesel engines (since you have a power boat background). The boat is made in Florida. The manufacturer has many videos that show the boat features and construction and interior. Price is about $400- $500K for the 2014 model that is 46 feet long. It has three double berths (with dinette becoming fourth double if you need).

The interior is very nice, the master stateroom is large (with centerline queen) the head has a separate shower (and looks very nice) and the cockpit looks very comfortable for both sailing (captains chair is raised) and for lounging.

You should see the transom (watch the videos) as it has a large platform that looks ideal for entering with SCUBA gear. I SCUBA dive too, and this boat looks like it was made for that kind of enjoyment in lagoons or remote places. And I like that both the keel and the twin rudders can be raised for entering very shallow waters or beaching the boat.

I like cats. At the $400K price point (or less), my choice would be a Lagoon 380 for a couple who does not need to take a lot of guests. But there are many nice cats, and larger ones can be very luxurious.

There are some other things that may or may not be important to you regarding this boat compared to a cat.

1. It should be easier to find a marina berth for it (it is a mono)
2. It may be less expensive to keep in a marina (it is a mono)
3. It may sail with better pointing (going up wind or going to windward) ability due to being a mono with a ballasted bulb keel that can be lowered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 Beached.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	93398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 Sailing CLOSE Anotated.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	93399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 sailing stern high.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	93400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 saloon galley high.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	93401  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 SRfwd3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	93402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward 46RK 2014 Dinette 2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	93403  

__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 21:58   #8
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Yes, Ive had lessons and I'm 'certified'.
Whew!...for a second there, I was worried.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:29   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Whew!...for a second there, I was worried.
I hope you're not mocking me because a few weeks on a boat don't make you a sailor. Nor does it make me a complete idiot for setting sail with no knowledge. Thanks.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Jobberone.

I looked at both boats you linked. Both are nice. Big difference in cost though.

If you have the money for the 2006 Cat (about $500K) and you want a sugar scoop or easy entry to the water for diving AND you want to enjoy a luxurious retirement on the boat, I would suggest taking a look at a boat I recently learned about that looks VERY nice and would be ideal for cruising the waters of Florida, Bahamas, or Caribbean.

NOTE: I have no connection to the boat or brokers or manufacturers. I am simply passing on information about a boat I found very interesting and one that appeals to me for similar purposes (retirement, live aboard, cruising shallow waters of Florida, Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean).

46RK | Seaward Yachts

The Hake Seaward 46RK is a very different kind of boat that has some of the best features of a cat (low draft of only 2' 5" with keel raised), can be beached, and can be equipped with TWIN 75 HP diesel engines (since you have a power boat background). The boat is made in Florida. The manufacturer has many videos that show the boat features and construction and interior. Price is about $400- $500K for the 2014 model that is 46 feet long. It has three double berths (with dinette becoming fourth double if you need).

The interior is very nice, the master stateroom is large (with centerline queen) the head has a separate shower (and looks very nice) and the cockpit looks very comfortable for both sailing (captains chair is raised) and for lounging.

You should see the transom (watch the videos) as it has a large platform that looks ideal for entering with SCUBA gear. I SCUBA dive too, and this boat looks like it was made for that kind of enjoyment in lagoons or remote places. And I like that both the keel and the twin rudders can be raised for entering very shallow waters or beaching the boat.

I like cats. At the $400K price point (or less), my choice would be a Lagoon 380 for a couple who does not need to take a lot of guests. But there are many nice cats, and larger ones can be very luxurious.

There are some other things that may or may not be important to you regarding this boat compared to a cat.

1. It should be easier to find a marina berth for it (it is a mono)
2. It may be less expensive to keep in a marina (it is a mono)
3. It may sail with better pointing (going up wind or going to windward) ability due to being a mono with a ballasted bulb keel that can be lowered
Love the boat and the concept. My only worry is depreciation and buying a newish boat. I don't like the arch much but without seeing it up close I won't make any definite impressions. I'll have to gather more intel on the boat and Rake Yachts first. Thanks again.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Massachussetts
Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Posts: 700
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Forgot to add we are retired and will live aboard a lot with some land based time as well.

I've looked at a Stevens 40 and a Hylas.
What Hylas model did you look at?
Just curious since I really like the Hylas boats but there a little out of my price range.
Why the Bene over the Hylas?
__________________
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 17:15   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
What Hylas model did you look at?
Just curious since I really like the Hylas boats but there a little out of my price range.
Why the Bene over the Hylas?
I think the Hylas was a 51 if not a 49; I can't remember. It was an older boat in the water for some time in the Caribbean. My guess would be 30-50 to get her top notch. Which I thought was too much.

The Beneteau is allegedly cherry.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 18:11   #13
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

6 foot draft is the same as mine. No problem in the Caribbean.

Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:51   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 39.3
Posts: 17
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

We looked at lot at the 44CC's. Unfortunately, out of our price range but otherwise an excellent choice! Talked to a few owners in Greece, Croatia and Martinique - all of them really liked the boat. Happy sailing!
__________________
LotNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 10:19   #15
Registered User
 
cajucito's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tipperary & Dublin Ireland
Boat: Beneteau 44cc
Posts: 83
Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

we have a bene 44cc and just love it, we plan to go full circle starting next year if we live long enough. Ours has a dark blue hull, thats the only thing i dont like about it, anything other than white is very hard to maintain, and the Maintenance is my role. Plenty offshore miles done and it gives great confidence. we looked at the hylas as well. Watertight bulkhead up front is a great + on a glassfiber boat especially if you plan lots of miles like us. There were 2 Hylas for sale when we first bought and we could not afford either of them. The bene proved a better choice in the end for many reasons. Beneteau Hull colour on our 2001 model is RAL code 5003 (BlueNavy)and the white is RAL 1906
__________________

__________________
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, oceanis

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beneteau Oceanis 44CC watea Monohull Sailboats 5 30-05-2013 21:05
To Pull or Not to Pull . . . That Is My Question ! BILLYBYEPOLAR General Sailing Forum 4 12-11-2010 15:26
Dinghy Chaps? Draw String Material? JohnnyB Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 8 11-02-2009 19:23
who eats string JusDreaming Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 21-10-2007 18:39
Irwin 44CC eskfreedom Monohull Sailboats 8 23-03-2007 22:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.