Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2009, 21:03   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
A Whitbread Boat

I think it was 2000,,,maybe 2001 .
I lived on Mt Desert Island along the coast of maine. One day a BIG BOAT appeared in the harbor and tied up at the dock. They had a break in the Whitbread race and they sailed her over from England,to the Hinkcley Yard for a paint job. This was the only yard in North America that could handle this size boat and meet the time constraints of the boat and her 10 days of Down time.
When the boat was done ,they splashed her and tied her up to the dock in Southwest Harbor. This caught my attention and I walked down the dock to take a look. As luck would have it the captain of the race boat came on deck and I mentioned something about how beautiful she was or some such mention. He asked me to come aboard . Gave me the cooks tour !! That thing was huge down below!
slept the crew of 13 plus some simple common area and the Galley and the dining area ..they ate in shifts .
I don't remember the engine she had but when he started her up that whole boat hummed ..had to be 300 horse !!
He explained that he had to get her to boston in 4 days or so and then on to N.Y. to pick up the next leg of the race. He asked me if I would go along as his crew and a buddy of mine ...3 people to sail a 65 ' Volvo whitbread boat !!
I explained that I had to meet my banker on thursday or friday...I wasn't sure which day he would arrive. I could not call my banker and tell him as he was doing me a favor [and he did ] . he said if I was on the Dock at 10:00 a.m. friday i could go for the trip !
My banker left me on friday at 10:45 and the boat was gone !!
Missed it by "THIS MUCH " !!! am I allowed to say Damn !!! here ?
AAHHH, but for the grace of God !!!
watson

P.S. He told me that one day ,when they were surfing down a wave ,they made 27 knots !!! that is huge and on a huge boat ...nothing gonna stop a boat that big ,goin' that fast !

Old 10-06-2009, 21:51   #2

Boat: Searunner 31
At this point I'm thinking I'd blown off the banker, but there you go being responsible!

Old 10-06-2009, 21:58   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Yeah, you are right, but my wife explained how the $100,000.00 line of credit might come in handy for my company...and its hard to argue with that kind of logic !!

I was THIS close !!!
Old 10-06-2009, 21:59   #4

Boat: Searunner 31
Yes, back to the real world.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Yahoo to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I don't know.... 100K, that's all, and only a line of credit... I think I'd of blown off the banker too with a phone call explanation on his voice mail. Emergency came up, postpone till next time. no problem, ....
Old 11-06-2009, 12:25   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
watson,

How long did the bruises last on your backside from kicking yourself? Kind of like the fish that got away!.....i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: