Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 08:19   #16

Re: A solid blue water cruiser

in spain , the Dufour 50 classic , from 1998 for 85.000 eur. 5 bedrooms . you can find it at the site inautic.com
jan boes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 08:21   #17

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Reinke alu world cruiser

Have a look at the Reinke alu boat series.
They have been built in high numbers, hull most often built professionally.
Check out 13M for your price range.
REINKE TYPYACHT - KONSTRUKTION

Example of a suitable yacht for your use:
Reinke 13M Aluminum cutter for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:30   #18

50k pounds will not do it. For a ready to go boat with three staterooms your looking at maybe 160k pounds or more. Or $200k dollars. Oyster is the way to go. On a tight budget think you are limited to CTs, Formosas, and the like. Big, heavy ocean going boats based on the Garden designs. A 52 foot ct would give you three cabins and probably be around $125k.

Might reconsider steel given the reefs throughout the Pacific.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 12:46   #19

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Sign up with as many brokers as you can, and look at web sites like Boatshed. Whatever you choose, and it will inevitably be quite an old boat for that sort of budget, just make sure you have the most comprehensive survey done. You should factor that into your budget as well as insurance, and stuff that may need immediate replacement like running and standing riding, sails etc. Decide if you want sloop rig (probably) but perhaps with baby stay, ketch rig, or yawl. The look at the draft you want to accept; the deeper draft better for upwind sailing, but shallower draft means getting into more sheltered areas. That will lead to look at short fin keel or long fin keel, or long keel. I suspect bilge keel may not be what you want but don't ignore them.
May the best of luck and good fortune follow you in your quest.
SJFK
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 15:16   #20

If as you say you want a safe sturdy boat and there are small children involved, and you are heading across the pacific, I would not be thinking about a yacht with an unprotected spade rudder. I made that mistake with a Beneteau 43,3 cabin and on passage 300 miles offshore, the boat was knocked down, and after putting everything back into the cupboards and drawers that fell out, found we could not steer the boat and then watched with horror as parts of the rudder drifted away in the wash at the back of the boat. In my humble opinion Beneteau's are coastal cruisers and not built for offshore. The way they only tab the bulkheads to the hull and deck, leads to the boat creaking and making scary noises as the hull flex's in big seas. Horrible to listen to as you are many miles offshore. After I got back to NZ,I googled Beneteau rudder and found it was not uncommon for unprotected spade rudders to get destroyed. The boat only weighed 4 ton, so built very light. I am now looking at buying an Amel Super Maramu. They weigh 14 ton and have a skeg hung rudder that are very strong. If it involves small children offshore you want to be very safe.
For the kids, it would be an amazing experience. Eye opening, mind expanding stuff. Something they would never forget. You want them to remember the trip for the right reason.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 15:37   #21

For some good insight into the Amel Super Maramu checkout SV Delos on YouTube. I believe theirs is a 2000 or 2001. The Amel 55 is my dream home.
antoniofhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 16:49   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by live the dream View Post
This topic has probably been on here a thousand times before, but I'm still struggling in my quest to find a boat suitable for me and my family.

We are planning a Pacific crossing next year.

I'm after a sturdy, safe yacht with 3 cabins.

42'+

If anyone has any ideas on suitable yachts, please list below 👍🏻👍🏻
C'mon. This is such a shortcut. Really. No google search where you live? ;-)

Let u know what boats YOU like: wooden classics, grp classics, racers, multihulls, motorsailors, steel, alloy, FERROCEMENT, etc?

To list all likely boats 42'+ would take a couple of screens easily.

What's your vision then?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 20:17   #23

Wouldn't take my kids to sea in a 3 ca - ah what's the point? Google!
cenicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 21:07   #24

This one will definitely do it:

<http://vintageboatservices.com/lavranos_montevideo.htm>

JK
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:13   #25

Boat: Pearson 530

Don't forget the Pearson 530. Center cockpit, 15 ft. beam, walk in engine room. Center queen island bed in aft stateroom. Three cabins, two heads with two STALL showers. Might be worth looking at? Three available on yachtworld now.
yachtcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:54   #26

I don't want to pour cold water on things, but just maybe, if you are talking about real bluewater cruising, it should remain just a dream on that budget. I will get lots of flak for this, but I wouldn't go outside search-and-rescue range in a Beneteau, and most definitely not if my kids' lives were at stake, too. On your budget, I'd recommend an old-but-sturdy boat instead of trying to get a cheap Beneteau or something similar. I would think you'd want safety first with those kids aboard.

We have a Pacific Seacraft and cannot say enough about how strong these boats are. The problem is that there's no way you could get one of the size you want on anything close to your budget.

If you want to look at a Pacific Seacraft (smaller than what you want), here's some photos of a Pacific Seacraft 37:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/

or you could go to the Pacific Seacraft website before looking around for used ones:

Pacific Seacraft is the award winning manufacturer of ocean going sailing yachts. The Pacific Seacraft manufacturing facility is located in Washington North Carolina. The company was featured in the book The Worlds Best Sailboats by Ferenc Mate. Paci
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:13   #27
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by live the dream View Post
2 kids 6 and 9 are going to need their own space. So 3 cabins would be good. I can only find the Beneteau style boat with 3 cabins.
We met a couple in a bright red 27' bluewater sailboat with two boys, ages 8 & 10 in Portobello, Panama. They left from England and were getting ready to transit the Panama Canal and head across the Pacific with a goal of circumnavigation.

No suggestions for a boat, just a comment.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
I don't want to pour cold water on things, but just maybe, if you are talking about real bluewater cruising, it should remain just a dream on that budget. I will get lots of flak for this, but I wouldn't go outside search-and-rescue range in a Beneteau, and most definitely not if my kids' lives were at stake, too. On your budget, I'd recommend an old-but-sturdy boat instead of trying to get a cheap Beneteau or something similar. I would think you'd want safety first with those kids aboard.

We have a Pacific Seacraft and cannot say enough about how strong these boats are. The problem is that there's no way you could get one of the size you want on anything close to your budget.

If you want to look at a Pacific Seacraft (smaller than what you want), here's some photos of a Pacific Seacraft 37:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/

or you could go to the Pacific Seacraft website before looking around for used ones:

Pacific Seacraft is the award winning manufacturer of ocean going sailing yachts. The Pacific Seacraft manufacturing facility is located in Washington North Carolina. The company was featured in the book The Worlds Best Sailboats by Ferenc Mate. Paci
Im not the OP, not even a real sailor, but IMHO you've given solid, perhaps lifesaving advice, if OP is wise enough to listen. Thats one reason I havent bought a boat (or an airplane) yet. I cant afford that which I would be comfortable staking my life on.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:22   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A solid blue water cruiser

Get a real boat and adapt...
Bowman 46 for sale UK, Bowman boats for sale, Bowman used boat sales, Bowman Sailing Yachts For Sale Bowman 46 Yawl - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:58   #30

I already asked the OP what boats he has eliminated. No answer so no serious research taking place.

Sounds like he just wants to have fun on a forum.

Nothing wrong with that of course.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water