Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2013, 14:17   #31

Boat: Island Packet 35
If I had the time, skill, money, and desire to convert a fast boat into a comfortable cruiser (I have none of the above), I would watch for the next Navy 44 Mk 1 to go up for auction:

I've made some passages on the new version--they're rock-solid and sail very well, but are not set up for comfort or short-handed sailing. They do, however, have decent tankage (they're built for a crew of ten for offshore passages, after all) and will still be around long after I'm gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2844993050.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	66600

(Not sure if the photo is really attached)

SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 15:25   #32

Re: A racing boat for cruising?

to take a completely different "tack" (pun intended), the is something like this.....
Paradox: Building a Dream Yacht

boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17   #33

Boat: kuiper 32

The only problem I can think of would be the draught,my cruiser is an ex racer and I love it,its nice sailing past the fat slow old cruisers.You get the best spots in the anchorage then.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 23:36   #34

We went for a sail yesterday in a "Bavaria Match 38", a 'real' racing boat. The main could be tuned with 9 different ropes!

It was a "beginners" tour with 5 people and an instructor on board. Me and my wife were the only ones to know the names to most things (not all) and to be comfortably tie a knot when needed, the others were absolute beginners. I can tell you the Instructor seemed quite happy to have us aboard.

It was my first time sea-sailing and my wife's too.

We left from Scheveningen harbour at around 11:00 in 8-10 knts of wind. We had a nice sail along the beach to the pier of Scheveningen. We then came back into harbour for lunch. We were doing around 6 knts boat speed

After lunch the swell picked up a bit and the wind was 10-12knts and we made 7-7.5 knts of speed on the boat. We also started pounding into the waves quite a bit (flat hull).

We saw the dismasting of an Atlantic 43. I took some pictures (Canon D7, 300mm lens, so they are decent), but am hesitant to share. The owners seemed not to happy with me taking pictures. I did not see the dismasting myself, my wife was at the helm and called out: "They folded away their sails very quickly!". Even though we were only about 3 miles from Scheveningen harbour, they did not:
  • Have a portable VHF with them (their mast antenna was obviously in the water)
  • Have a hack-saw with them to cut the mast away.

We had working VHF radios (2 fixed, one handheld) so we used our radios to relay messages and called the KNRM (dutch royal rescue company) for them. They came on board with a hacksaw, and at this point we stopped circling them (at a safe distance I might add) and went on with our sailing.

We saw them come back into harbour some time later, mastless. It was a sad sight.

I became sea-sick in around 10-12 knots of wind with a 3ft/1m swell at this point in time. I did not feel well.

We decided to call it a day and head back into harbour, where we were promptly 'honked' at by a large fishing vessel for going _very_ slow in the harbour just as they wanted to dock.

All-in-all an amazing day, with amazing pictures of the aftermath of a dismasting and the ensuing rescue.

campr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 22:25   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

A couple of comments:

The boat that you are looking at looks like an IOR "2-tonner". It has the classic IOR reverse transom, pinched ends, beamy midships section. It should go to windward very well, reach ok, but be relatively slow (by modern standards) downwind. It will be a handful in heavy winds and seas, especially downwind, but this can be easily managed by downsizing sails early and substantially (we sail happily, 2 persons, on our IOR "pig" in 40+ knots, with heavy weather jib and 3 reefs).

This will be a lot of sailboat for a couple to sail, even a relatively experienced couple. Don't get me wrong - I love IOR boats, but they do generate quite high loads on gear / rigging / sheets / rig etc. It appears (from the photo) to have the typical IOR rig (probably 3/4 fractional) which means you have backstay, running backstays (x 2) and checkstays (x2) to contend with every time you tack and jibe. This need not be a deal breaker at all (Lisa and I manage to cruise fine, and our boat has runners / checkstays, etc), but by comparison to a more modern design (swept back spreader rig, 9/10 frac, single backstay) this is a complicated rig, and probably a relatively skinny mast section too.

Also, given the relatively high loads generated on IOR boats, there is a real big step up from 38-40 foot to 45 foot. You should be able to buy blocks for a 38 or 40 footer for $100 to $200 (depending on how shiny you like them), but for a 45 foot boat, you might be looking at $400 or more for a block. Winches for a 38-40' boat should be around $1000, for a 45' maybe $4000+. Sails will be 30-50% more expensive, etc. And be assured (based on the photos) I'd expect to have to replace quite a lot of the blocks, rigging, sails etc. Given your relatively modest budget, I'd be seriously looking at a smaller boat, if only for the cost of replacement items / general upkeep, let alone the handling. Go ask your local sail loft for a quote for, say, a new mainsail and a new headsail for that 45' boat - even in Dacron, it'll make you wince! Then, assuming you had that sail, try to lift it by yourself!

Don't get me wrong. I don't regret buying an IOR racer and refitting it as a cruiser. Sure; if I'd saved my money and was buying now, I'd be buying a different boat - a more cruise-ready boat, but I'd have missed out on 7 or 8 years of sailing experiences (and life experiences) in the meantime.

If I have a take home message it would be to be 100% realistic about your budget - both now and in the future, and the cost of the boat, - purchase cost, refit cost and ongoing maintenance cost.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42   #36

After reading the first couple of pages of "East to the Azores" I must admit I am becoming a great follower of the classical style fin keel, the overhangs front and back to cushion the blow of going through the trough. I must admit that an Ohlson 38 is fast becoming a boat that I would seriously consider, and above all, in within budget. Far more comfortable than a racer, and not that much slower.

Slowly going crazy with all the options...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04   #37
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: A racing boat for cruising?

Doubt you'd get the GK 34 that cheap... browse this site for options in the UK/EU...
I do not exist to impress the world.
I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy.

boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51   #38

The O 38 is a very good sea boat. Not that big for a 38 but built tough as hell. Friend had one and sailed it all over the world and raced it single handed as well. As long as the size fits and the boat has been cared for it will treat you well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09   #39

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

Two racer/cruisers I have had experience with the J/35 and the J/44. Both with minor soft rigging changes made good all around single handers and cruisers for me. Just be careful of the coring especially around added deck fittings.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:14   #40

In the end we bought a Moody 40 for a very similar price as the 45ft ex-racer. Fotos:
Old 27-10-2013, 01:05   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I think the Moody is going to be a great boat for you. A much more conservative design than an old IOR racer, with a lot more creature comforts, and less shin banging.

Report back with landfalls, and fair winds.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 12:08   #42

I have an old race boat which I am turning into a cruiser, but it is from 1966 (picture attached)...a different age of racing...and lends itself much more to cruising than newer race boats. I did have a neighbor who is converting an early 80's racer into a cruiser and I have a hard time seeing it ever being as comfortable as a boat designed for cruising. It was all ribs and pipe berths on the interior...and there is only so much you can do with the limitations of the way the boat was built.

I also do not believe the motion of many race boats lend themselves to comfortable cruising. My Ted Hood with modified full keel provides a much more subtle motion than my friends flat bottom racer. With your plans being world cruising, I would put the motion of the boat near the top of point of consideration.

He is doing a nice job trying to turn it into a cruiser, but it is a huge project and all the effort will only get you so far...the boat was designed to race.

I think your choice of the Moody makes a lot of sense and you can focus on things you can improve.

Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-493346655.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	69416  
Reb Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 14:03   #43

Old 27-10-2013, 15:22   #44