Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 12:04   #16

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch
Re: A quick sailing lesson please

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
. The jib on a sailboat steadies the boat from yawl.
Not quite: "Yawl" is a two-masted sailing vessel, the mizzen mast of which is located aft of the rudder post.

"Yaw" is movement of a vessel on the horizontal plane, around a vertical axis. It is controlled primarily with the rudder, assisted by adjustments in the lateral forces generated by sails - and on a ketch or yawl, the mizzen sail is a very effective way to control yaw.

Let's keep our terms straight so we don't create more confusion, eh?
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
Not quite: "Yawl" is a two-masted sailing vessel, the mizzen mast of which is located aft of the rudder post.

"Yaw" is movement of a vessel on the horizontal plane, around a vertical axis. It is controlled primarily with the rudder, assisted by adjustments in the lateral forces generated by sails - and on a ketch or yawl, the mizzen sail is a very effective way to control yaw.

Excuuuuuse me.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11   #18

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

Quote:
Excuuuuuse me.
Well, there are an awful lot of terms in boats & sailing - and it's really helpful to use the right ones. Just thought it was worth pointing out, as it could have caused confusion later on.
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:28   #19

Quote:
Well, there are an awful lot of terms in boats & sailing - and it's really helpful to use the right ones. Just thought it was worth pointing out, as it could have caused confusion later on.
I appreciate your diligence, I truly do. In fact, when some sailors write in poor language, sometimes it's hard to understand what they're saying.

Then, HEY! I realize they're using english as a foreign language.

But, in my case, you DID understand what I was writing; but I do respect what you're saying.

I shall be more exact in the future.

Meanwhile, fair winds to us all.
Old 10-03-2015, 22:47   #20

Well, that certainly cleared it up for me. Saw a listing the other day that was quite similar. Left me in the dark, club footed, with a bag over my head as people bumped into me.
Cheers for clearing it up.
seven south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 23:23   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
I really like your blog. I'm anxiously looking forward to your sailing log.
Thanks, Every time I'm ready to shove off, someone hires me for a project and I'm too stupid/greedy to turn them down. My current gig ends in May, so (cross my fingers) I'll be heading north then.
Old 10-03-2015, 23:30   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:

Yawl or Ya'll is who my Texan girlfriend invites out to meet us for dinner and drinks. Yaw is what my Swedish friend Per says if I asks if he wants another drink.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Yawl or Ya'll is who my Texan girlfriend invites out to meet us for dinner and drinks. Yaw is what my Swedish friend Per says if I asks if he wants another drink.
Yawl is what I typed using an extra ring finger on my other hand while the boat was goin' this way and that from side to side. Meanwhile the advisors were tyin' their panties in a knot, and the yankee was flyin'.

Old 11-03-2015, 15:25   #24

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Hmm yes but the source question is not really answered.
so:
First sail is a jib, genoa, or yankee
Second is the staysail (selftailing)
actually, i believe this is incorrect. the first sail is the forestaysail. it is set on the forestay. the second sail is the jib sail. it is set on the jibstay.

whether your forestaysail is a yankee or a genoa has no bearing on the name of the sail in this position. it's still the forestaysail and the second sail is a jib.

some sloops are set up so that you can set up an inner stay, behind the jibstay. the sail set on this inner stay is a staysail and the first sail, set on the jibstay, is the jib sail. but, that is not the case with a cutter or cutter rigged ketch.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 16:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
actually, i believe this is incorrect. the first sail is the forestaysail. it is set on the forestay. the second sail is the jib sail. it is set on the jibstay.

whether your forestaysail is a yankee or a genoa has no bearing on the name of the sail in this position. it's still the forestaysail and the second sail is a jib.

some sloops are set up so that you can set up an inner stay, behind the jibstay. the sail set on this inner stay is a staysail and the first sail, set on the jibstay, is the jib sail. but, that is not the case with a cutter or cutter rigged ketch.
According to Wickipedia the first sail that usually ties to the bow sprint is a jib, the last one next to the fore side of the forward mast is the staysail; and the one in between is a forestay sail.

On a schooner, the sail between the two masts is the foresail, and the one just in front of the helm is the main. There's a Main topsail, a fore top sail and besides the foresail is a fisherman, a gollywobbler, and a triangular mule is or can be a pretty sail besides the foresail with a very long boot that'll have a sheet tied way back that can be managed from the cockpit. Some call the mule a Genoa on its back.

Sail configurations with these two masted boats are, or can be unique to the skipper. The fisherman was originally a fisherman's net purchased up by halyards to prey on the wind in a lull.

That's lull like lullaby.
Old 11-03-2015, 17:56   #26

Quote:
According to Wickipedia the first sail that usually ties to the bow sprint is a jib, the last one next to the fore side of the forward mast is the staysail; and the one in between is a forestay sail.

On a schooner, the sail between the two masts is the foresail, and the one just in front of the helm is the main. There's a Main topsail, a fore top sail and besides the foresail is a fisherman, a gollywobbler, and a triangular mule is or can be a pretty sail besides the foresail with a very long boot that'll have a sheet tied way back that can be managed from the cockpit. Some call the mule a Genoa on its back.

Sail configurations with these two masted boats are, or can be unique to the skipper. The fisherman was originally a fisherman's net purchased up by halyards to prey on the wind in a lull.

That's lull like lullaby.
well, i'll be....i went and checked (not wikipedia) and you are right. i've had it backwards all these years. my apologies.
Old 11-03-2015, 18:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
well, i'll be....i went and checked (not wikipedia) and you are right. i've had it backwards all these years. my apologies.
And you never noticed sailing backwards all these years?
Old 12-03-2015, 00:17   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Just to be clear, "club footed" is not exclusive to a staysail. There are plenty of sloops out there with a single club footed jibs. The club foot just refers to it being on a boom.

Personally I find club footed jibs to be a PITA as it seems like the boom is always in the way and cluttering up the foredeck. In some situations they are downright dangerous. You can do away with it and still have the jib be self-tending but it requires some careful modifications.
Yeah, Suijun,

They're called club footed, cause if you're not looking, they'll club you in the ankle and there you are, ankle shattered, screaming on the foredeck! Nah,
the mind boggles.

A.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:15   #29

Quote:
And you never noticed sailing backwards all these years?
lol.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:39   #30

: It's about holding the sail in place during gusts.
(Club foot, or stay the jib)

Ankle bongs: it's about mother nature popping your ankles for walking around on the fore deck while sailing in gusts.

Tags
lease, sail, sailing