Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 06:22   #1
cruiser

A *new* "which boat" thread. Just what the board needs. ha ha ha

We may have found a way to keep on sailing, provided I sell the Hirsh.

So... I am asking you all for a couple of suggestions as to makes and models that would fit the following criteria:

*Sloop or Ketch
*Heavy displacement - speed not crucial, ability to break a wake/wave essential
*Tough hull - like I have now. Can take a beating.
*100% Manual Systems (foot pump for water, etc...) - or no systems
*Possibly an outboard engine instead of an inboard - save future expense, make more room aboard
*Solar, Wind to support refrigeration (could be added later)
*Pullman berth
*Wheel or tiller, but maybe a windvane already installed
*Lots of tankage for H2O
*Low maintenance - really rugged
*$30K or less

Anybody have any thoughts? We are quite used to living aboard and don't need any luxuries. In fact, we are looking to "Walden it" and live without any of life's little luxuries (that can break and cost you $$).

Thanks... and I can't believe I started another "which boat" thread.

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:29   #2

Hirsh?

Sean,

What's the "Hirsh"? Have you decided that having a floating B&B is not the way to go and want to live without selling access to your "home afloat"? That would be understandable (especially given incidents like last week)

Can we assume you want to keep a boat and have as large of crusing kitty as possible and look for other means of support whilst living aboard?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:44   #3
cruiser

The "Hirsh" is the boat you saw up close and personal last week as we touched rails. It's a type of boat built by Gulfstar, but is not technically a Gulfstar. It's more properly called a Hirsh.

Actually, we have a few events going on right now that cause us to sell. Financially, we need to.

So yes... you can assume we want to have a boat with the least financial impact possible. And when I say cheap... I mean cheap!

Otherwise... we are land bound... (god help me!!)
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Hi Sean

I am sorry to hear that you are letting your boat go, but glad to read that you will still be sailing and more importantly, have retained your sense of humor.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

I have not been online much after I slipped the lines this past March. Invictus has proven herself to be everything and more than I had hoped for. I solo'd her down from Annap to the keys, via the icw and offshore. She was awesome, weatherly, sea kindly, tough (I had really awful conditions the entire trip), totally dry and very comfy. I am now in the Keys and have been so comfortable aboard. I have had people come to stay for a while and she is still as comfy with 2 or 6. Life is good.

The attributes I had looked for have payed off. Great, high quality design and construction, water tight bulkheads between the cabin, fender locker and chain locker, excellent systems, sailplan and rigging set up and wonderful ventilation with the huge Goiot hatches.

So, I will recommend again look at Wauquiez's. The 35' and under, early 80's boats are hitting pretty good price points right now. While still rare, they are worth looking for.

My best to all.

John
s/v Invictus
Wauquiez Hood 38
lying FL Keys
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:34   #5

Sean, are you familiar with the Westsail 32?

There is one being sold on ebay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wests...QQcmdZViewItem

My impression is that it fits a lot, but not all of your requirements. I love the classic lines and the way this boat is equipped.

The negatives for me, are 1) the SA/displacement ratio says this boat is extremely slow in light air, despite the enthusiastic proclamations of owners. 2) The biggest negative is it would be very difficult to inspect and survey this boat before committing to buy, as is the case with boats being sold on ebay.

You want a pullman berth, and I agree this is a desirable feature. Problem is, there are very few production boats that are delivered this way. you might very well end up sacrificing that requirement, or perhaps modifying the boat you eventually end up with.

Sorry to hear you are selling your boat, but.... Good luck!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:31   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
On the basis of future events, you need a baby friendly boat, so perhaps you need to think a bit more laterally as to space and capabilities.

Best boats for the pitter patter of little deck shoes is a catamaran!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sean:
There are three simple rules for selecting the perfect boat.

Unfortunately, they have yet to be discovered.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Sean:
There are three simple rules for selecting the perfect boat.

Unfortunately, they have yet to be discovered.
Brilliant, I concur. Get the boat you think you will enjoy most.

My favorite "which boat" answer comes from Tor Pinney

"Fiberglass, metal, wood, old or new, big or small, sloop, ketch, cutter, yawl or schooner? Suit yourself."

he goes on about how strong is what matters etc but the basic thing that got my attention was the "suit yourself" part. In the exceeding dogmatic world of sailing, the concept of choosing what you find most appealing was music to my ears.

Cheers,
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48   #9
cruiser

Although, I would have to point out that I did list out a number of features that do narrow any boat search down tremendously. I have almost described a boat that is impossibly to find, which means it's a very tight requirements list. This means it really isn't a "wide open" question, but a very detailed one. I was mostly asking if anyone, off hand, knew what type of boat might fit those requirements. There are not many. I haven't found one yet.

I will take a peek at both boats suggested so far though.
Old 11-07-2006, 16:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
just one thought: unless you have it mounted in a well - ala a saildrive, an outboard will do you little good should you ever need it in heavy weather.

also, if it were me I'd stay away from petrol regardless. Diesel is much safer.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 16:41   #11
Kai Nui

Sean, is location an issue?
Old 11-07-2006, 20:18   #12

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I think for the price, if you go older, you're more likely to get a decent boat size for a family. I think, interestingly, you will probably have to sacrifice the desire for an outboard. Its usually 27's & 28's and smaller that have that particular feature. I have an outboard on my Catalina and I like it except when I am going astern, then I'd cheerfully shoot it.

Anyways, you buy this boat for $35,000 (your $30,000 American will buy $$34,000 Canadian, and what's the remaining thousand Canadian between friends...lol!): (and didn't you want to sail the BC waters before you took it home through the Panamal Canal - time for one last really great adventure before you settle down to the diaper detail)

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/B...l_4_sails.aspx
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 20:50   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Keep in mind, Sean, that a baby can hold its breath and swim underwater for a short while before the umbilical cord is cut. The sooner you get your kid in water the faster he/she will be able to survive going overboard until you retrieve her/him.

The reason that I love boating is because my father ALWAYS had a boat of some kind, power and sail. It doesn't matter how small it is just get your kid in a boat asap and both of you will never regret it. Ignore your friends and relatives who want to overprotect the kid which is great if you want an institutionalized one safe from everything except dysfunctionalism.

Stay on here!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33   #14

Boat: Privilege 37
On the basis of your specs, I would look at a GRP folkboat, or similar (Folksong, Folkdancer, Contessa) have a look at the thread on these boats as I attached some pictures and a link to a site with a lot of details about the Folkboat.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:40   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
just one thought: unless you have it mounted in a well - ala a saildrive, an outboard will do you little good should you ever need it in heavy weather.

also, if it were me I'd stay away from petrol regardless. Diesel is much safer.
I agree about diesel being safter. We are hoping for outboards because we find we really don't end up using our motor much at all - especially during foul weather. In my experience, boats perform much MUCH better under reefed sail than they do under power in the sloppy stuff, so we don't want to have a big inboard taking up space. I also know that any boat that is as old as we are looking at will likely have an old engine that will need replacing eventually. I like the outboard for simplicity's sake. I know how to fix one in about 5 mins. There are no complicated parts. Everything is basic, and if worse comes to worse, unscrew it and bring it ashore. This avoids major costs like cutting a hole in your boat, hiring a marina, and pulling your engine out for a rebuild or replacement.

I find an outboard a more logical choice for long term cruising. I would almost never use it. It is really for maneuvering into small areas where I can't reliably sail - going up rivers, docking, into small gunkhole areas.

In the slop, I am out to sea and sailing usually, if not already anchored.