Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 15:02   #1

A little help, please...

I am totally new to all of this, so please bear with me. For the past few years I have been thinking about my retirement, and being the type of person who loves being at the beach, taking cruises, and being ex-Navy; retiring to a Sailboat is very appealing to me. But I’ve never done it! So I’m really in my educational stage right now, and I don’t live near any beaches! So finding my opportunities to really put my hands on a few, or have the opportunity to compare is really out of my hands right now. But I’m studying!
I have come to the conclusion that I’ll be looking primarily at the mono-hull for two, but with room for guests. My thinking is that I’ll more than likely be using my boat for coastal travel and the occasional trip to the Bahamas or Jamaica or something like that, but if I got comfortable enough with the boat, maybe more.
From my reading I’ve learned the bigger the boat the more stable, and probably faster the boat will be, and especially if there is to be any water sailing">blue water sailing. My understanding is the boat should be 38 feet or longer. And with my space requirements, I’m thinking more in line with a 42–46 foot sailboat. What I am trying to get is an understanding of what the better boats in this size range are, and then start looking for my fit, but there are a whole lot of sailboats out there, so I’m trying to feed a little on someone else’s experiences to help me get started. My ambition is to move onto and live on my sailboat year round, and when that day comes, I’ll be in my late 60’s, so a little more space, and a little more stability will probably be beneficial if I can find that. As mentioned, I love to travel, and I know that a sailboat isn’t going to break many speed records, but speed is also an important factor for me. Last, but most importantly, I’ll be buying used, and I’ll probably be looking in the $40k to $60k range with my initial expenses. Is that reasonable thinking? Thank you!
BCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 15:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: A little help, please...

First, before choosing a boat, choose a budget. Boats are like cars, you can buy a 30 year old conversion van for $1000 and drive it NY to CA. Or you can buy a brand new 45' Winnebago and do the same for 100-200 times the budget.

Unless you get really lucky or you buy a fixer upper and do a LOT of work (not recommended, especially for a boat newbie) I think your $40-$60 is a bit low. I would plan on $100,000 for the kind of boat you describe unless you go to the very low end of the size range. That's just purchase price. Again, unless you get really, really lucky, plan on spending more to repair and upgrade various things on the boat.

If you plan on occasional guests if you want any kind of privacy, you need to find something with a separate owner's stateroom. Some boats have a cabin aft under or around the aft cockpit but a lot of boats will have a center cockpit with an aft cabin. That layout provides a bit more privacy than aft cockpit with aft cabin designs.

What exact brand or model. That's many times more difficult than asking what car should I buy to drive to California since there might be 50-100 times more models of boats than cars.

To make it easier, set a budget and then start researching some of the boats that sell in that range, have the layout and cabins you want and you like in general to narrow down the choices. Then ask some more questions. A good place to window shop is www.yachtworld.com. You can search under size, price, cabins, rig and all sorts of options.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 18:11   #3

Take a look at some center cockpit boats which you might like and separate privacy areas. 42 to 46 may cost you much more . Not saying the best boats but, Irwin center cockpits 37-47 ft. Endeavour 37-42ft may find in your price range.
.....At least you have been on the water. When you pilot a 45 ft boat ,or any large sailboat you will see how far before you hit & to see and maneuver into a marina. Single hand or always with somebody ? Do you have a mate who will help in decision?? Go on some charter cruises for a day or longer .
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 18:26   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My suggestion: looking at what boat to buy before you have any experience is common, but bassackwards, get out there and do some sailing...you might hate it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 19:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Also be aware that as the boat size approaches 40 feet, the loads on the rig start to be pretty sizeable. Meaning, you have to be pretty fit to crank those sheet and halyard winches, or be dependent on powered winches. Not that powered winches are necessarily bad, but their failure might put you in a bad position. Fitness is probably a good thing anyway on a 40 foot sailboat.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 02:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BCMAN.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 04:06   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Welcome to the insane asylum, straight jackets are to the right, padded rooms to the left, and tapioca every Wed.
In all seriousness though, your best bet is like what was said earlier, go for a few charters, get a feel for sailing, and start looking around at different boats and find the ones you like and the ones you don't. Then pick the smallest one that you can be comfortable with, as size goes up so does the cost of everything.
Like myself personally, I'm very happy living full time on my little Catalina 30, but I don't really cruise exactly, and I'm a good bit younger.
But for advice and a little guidance as you go along, you've come to the right place this forum has more than a few people on it who really know what their yapping on about, and is an excellent place to learn.
Welcome aboard the good ship CF
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 05:40   #8

I've read that slip fees often jump at 40 ft. That was one man's reason to build at 11.5 m/39'-9". Don't know from experience, though.
chollapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 05:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
I've read that slip fees often jump at 40 ft. That was one man's reason to build at 11.5 m/39'-9". Don't know from experience, though.
Every marina I've ever visited in the US charged strictly by the foot, although many with a min charge typically 30'. So a 40' boat cost one foot more than a 39' boat.

There are a few here and there that charge by the slip size but I don't recall a consist break point for those.
Old 15-07-2018, 07:46   #10

Sorry to tell you this, but 39ft 9 inches would be charged 40 ft.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 07:56   #11

Boat: Whitby 42

While looking at boats on YW, go to sailboatdata.com to check out the layout of the boat.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 08:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnserr View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but 39ft 9 inches would be charged 40 ft.
First, if you're referring to my post I did specify a 39' boat, not a 39' plus some inches boat. If the boat is 39' 0" and another is 40' 0" at a marina that charges $2.00/ft then the first boat will be charged $78 and the second one $80.

Also, I've not yet had a Marina nit pick a couple of inches. My current boat is called a 42 but with sprit and davits definitely more than that. Though some marinas say in their rates that a boat is charged based on length overall including sprits, boomkins, swim platforms, davits, etc most just charge whatever you tell them unless you are obviously lying or have outrageous extra add on length.

The point is, based on the OPs question, 99% of the time boats are charged by the actual length of the boat and not charged a higher rate per foot for over 40'. So the huge majority of the marinas in the US will charge the same rate per foot for a 35' boat or a 45' boat. However, if you have a really big boat, like 60-80' or something many marinas do charge a higher rate per foot since space for such large boats is limited.
Old 15-07-2018, 08:34   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I owned a 1994 Hunter Legend 35.5, and I think it meets all your requirements...and more. Big aft cabin for you (and the Mrs) (King size bunk), and a forward cabin for your occasional guests. Real shower. Sugar scoop stern with walk thru tansom, yanmar, bow roller, and even some goodies you never thought of, like single line reefing from the cockpit! And it is certainly within your budget.

If you feel you still need more space, there is a 37.5 and a 40.5 in the same series, mid-90's. The Legend series was one of Hunter's best, and not to be confused with some of the newer or older boats, each of which have their features and problems.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	173607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail-DAVE.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	173608  

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	173609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frm Companwy.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	173610  

Name:	Nav Station.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	173611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	173612  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 08:35   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
It may be the case in a very few marinas but as posted in other replies, almost all marinas charge per foot with same rate per foot whether more than or less than 40' length.
Old 15-07-2018, 08:43   #15

I have an Endevour 35 that measures 38.4. I am in a slip that can hold up to a 40 foot boat so I am charged as if I was a 40 for boat.
tripkirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease