Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2014, 13:36   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: A dirty topic.... toilet paper! What to do with it?

princess-
You didn't have a composter, you had a dehydrator. Honest.

Standard marine heads accept standard toilet paper, even non-marine toilet paper, without any trouble. However, standard marine heads involve plumbing and hoses and most are poorly designed and poorly maintained by users who don't know how to use them. (i.e. you MUST pump to clear the hoses.)

If you're unfamiliar with real marine heads, check out the usual web sites from the makers, they'll tell you how to keep them in good working order. Put that "If you didn't eat it, don't flush it" on a brass plaque for your guests.

And just look at the toilet paper in the store, look for packages that say "SAFE FOR SEPTIC SYSTEMS" or something similar. If you want to know which national brands break down fastest, Consumer Reports did that testing a couple of months ago.

I think you'd find almost all marine heads can easily be replaced with dehydrators, if that's the way you really want to do things.

Or you can do like the high class Romans did: A sponge and a bucket of vinegar. That'll help keep those pesky guests off the boat, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 13:38   #17
cruiser

Single ply, macerating electric head, then..... launch!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 13:42   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Used toilet paper goes into a lidded trash can and goes out with the garbage.
Old 23-05-2014, 14:40   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Hang up a trash bag...put a dryer sheet in the bag...put all used tp in bag. Change bag regularly. Not putting tp in the holding tank saves room and stink...and you can use the best tp and as much as you want. Guests will be mortified but you will find out who your friends are.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 14:47   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A dirty topic.... toilet paper! What to do with it?

If you flush toilet paper your an ******* ecology wise.. wipe your ass and bag it.. it takes ages to disintegrate in the sea and chokes bottom life.. no.. not your bottom you selfish gits..
Anyone who's been in a Med marina should look over the side sometime.. all those white bits.. that's your bum fodder..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 15:14   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you flush toilet paper your an ******* ecology wise.. wipe your ass and bag it.. it takes ages to disintegrate in the sea and chokes bottom life.. no.. not your bottom you selfish gits..
Anyone who's been in a Med marina should look over the side sometime.. all those white bits.. that's your bum fodder..
Of course this does not apply if your using a holding tank and pumping out at proper stations. Actually when we are at marina slips we walk to the bath house ashore for the use of facilities for solids. Regardless, if we are just talking about clogs in the system. We have 4 feet of sanitary hose from our head to our holding tank all at a slight incline. During our 43 years of living aboard we have only had ONE clog and that was not from toilet paper. Ironically it was from someone aboard who followed the "only flush what you've eaten" rule. Unfortunately they had the habit of eating sunflower seeds and swallowing the husks that became impacted in the joker valve! ....what a mess!
Old 23-05-2014, 15:35   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: A Dirty Topic.... Toilet Paper! What to do with it?

In 25 years, never had a TP clog, even with guests. Two clogs when towelettes and other items were flushed.

When you have a guess have someone explain the use of a marine head in plain terms. It's just poop and no one should be embarrassed about this. However, once the explaination has been made guests are generally careful, as they do not want to be the guilty ones!

The main tips:
* The bowl should not be empty when you start. No water means nothing to keep things soft and moving.
* Flush enough, at least 1 stroke per foot of hose. This really helps at pump-out time.
* Nothing but TP, obviously.

Though heads can handle most TP, there is a simple test for those that are most suitable: Place a sheet in a bowl of water and come back in 15 minutes. If it falls apart, good, if you can pick it up, no good. Facial tissues, for example, are no good in a marine head.
Old 23-05-2014, 15:48   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I flush mine with no issues of any kind
Same here. But to avoid the possibility of clogs, the "secret" is to use the cheapest TP you can find. We buy Scotts in the big rolls. You have to be careful as it is not very strong so be delicate about your business. This stuff is just like the commercial TP you find in the giant dispenser rolls in the marina bathrooms.

Also we use the 3 x 3 = 9 rule. That is 3 squares of TP per wipe, 3 times, and then pump the handle 9 times. This avoids a potential clogging from a build up of too much TP in the bowl.

I would suspect that using the "Charmon" or other "luxury" TP which is both thick and strong is probably where the part about clogging your MSD came from . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 15:53   #24

Boat: Various

Maybe some of us just have either more considerate or smarter guests than others. But we do a complete walk through of the boat with new guests and even give them a little sheet to read (laminated). We try to provide them safety information but also instructions on the use of the heads and other items they may be less familiar with. While use of heads is important we also find other warnings essential. Sun lotion and limits is important. People can get so carried away on a boat, not use enough lotion and end up badly fried. The other one we have found essential is what guests should do when docking. Answer: Nothing unless specifically asked to do something. Stay right where you are like on an airplane until the seat belt light goes out. We also have small reminders over the heads. We have macerators and use holding tanks where required by local rules or laws and in marinas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 15:56   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

+1 to the "flush it (well)" vote. Never had an issue with flushing modest amounts of TP. I think the whole TP thing is way over stated.

Have however had issues with guests, most commonly with female charter guests, using about half a roll per session and then not flushing well. These are the same guests who will whine about the toilet smelling....and on inspection I discover that its half full of unflushed TP and urine! So, you should have the marine head/TP discussion w guests for sure.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 16:20   #26

Boat: Custom 30

When asking a wise cruising friend about using up so much room when storing TP for extended periods in places where it is very expensive, we got a great tip.

Baby wipes.

Of course you have to bag them, but usually one will do, two at most. The smell is mitigated, so they bag well.

I find they are more effective and comfortable, and when buying refill packs, they are inexpensive and a very small pack lasts for ages. Enough to last for months takes up very little space.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 16:49   #27

Boat: Various

Do not lecture guests on conserving water without making sure there's an exception for the head. That's where often they get flushed too little and clogged. They think they are doing the right thing by using as little water as possible.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 16:58   #28

Boat: Voyage Maxim 380

I use normal toilet paper and always bag it - never flush it. Our environment does not handle toilet paper well in the ocean whatever anyone thinks, so I can only suggest be respnsible and bag it, for shore disposal. I know it is hard for some peiple to get their heads around this but seriously if you want to cruise then conside the environment - you are not in a sewer system.
bevcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 17:01   #29

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

A simple test for the suitability of TP for a marine head is to put an appropriate amount in a jar of water. Shake. If the TP breaks up into small pieces, its good. If it doesn't leave it ashore.

I'm thinking about putting a joker valve on display in the head with a note explaining that everything must pass through the joker valve.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 17:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcory View Post
............. Our environment does not handle toilet paper well in the ocean whatever anyone thinks ............. you are not in a sewer system.
I am sensitive to the problems of the collection of toilet paper bits in an enclosed area such as I've seen in Hopetown Harbor in the Abacos. I also agree with Boatman's problem with toilet paper in Mediterranean harbors, but I'm not ready to agree that the chemical composition of toilet paper is an environmental concern in the open ocean. Toilet paper is almost all cellulose and calcium carbonate used as a binding agent for these fibers. These components are the same as what we might find in the composition of plant material an sea shells. The issue is a question of unsightliness, but not environmental harm, just as a collection of broken glass might be unsightly, but not environmentally harmful as a collection of silicon dioxide.

I would also dispute the statement that, "you are not living in a sewer system". In reallity we are, and always through the evolution of life, living in a sewer system. The recycling of organic waste is not outside the normal environs of all organisms. Our best health is to be able to allow for the natural decomposition and recycling of these nutrients without completing a cycle of pathogens in our food and drinking water, but the presence of urine and feces in our environment is not to be thought of as pollution. Any unsightly concentration of these wastes should be avoided, as well as contamination of food and water, but organic wastes are natuarally with us for all time and not unnatural or a pollution!

Tags
oil