Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 17:19   #1

Boat: 12' 1976 AMF Puffer
A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Hello all!

Looking for some advice from those wiser and more experienced than I. Finishing up a masters degree and have found life demands the freedom that comes with living aboard. In between studying economics and sailing my little puffer 12' as much as possible, most of my time is spent doing research (which can be a little overwhelming). My uncle (proud owner of a Bristol '32) got me into this thing and now it's all I want. So heres where I need some advice.

Looking for a simple, inexpensive, live-aboard, bluewater cruiser that is frequently available on the market. I am not an experienced sailor (but with time!). And just as I single-hand life, so do I need a boat that can solo. My total budget is $20k or less... so one in the 10k-15k range. While there will be no circumnavigating in the immediate future, nothing less than a solid bluewater boat that could sail about the Caribbean or hop to the Bahamas will do.

With Westsails, Morrises, and similar full-keel, double-ended beauties too expensive, the list has come down to the following. I welcome any advice; additions and rejections; and most especially tales of high-seas adventure. I am a handy individual (first career was working with electrics and carpentry), but am not looking for a major fixer-uper. Also love to cook, am 6' 2", and prefer a tiller.

So I turn to you, wise men and women that you are.

Tartan 30'
Ranger 29'
Albin Vega 27'
Pearson 30', 31'
Allied Seawind 30'
Vineyard Vixen 30'
Cape Dory 27', 28' (but in what condition?)

dogeconomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 17:36   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

All of the boats you mentioned are quite small in the living quarters but great boats.

I am a bit biased as I like the lines of classic Albergs and while not defined as "Bluewater" many have crossed oceans and circumnavigated so I would add the Alberg 30 and Pearson Trition. These are both solid boats that with some work and TLC will get you where you want to go. Any will be quite cozy below.

Our Alberg 30 is small below but is just enough for us. We are working and sailing her as we transistion to live aboard lifestyle.

You may also consider Alberg 35, I have seen them for 15-20k in what seemed good repair.

Also if you are patient and look you maybe be able to find a great deal on a Westsail 28, 32. Liberty 28 and I seem to remember a Dreadnought 32 for 20k somewhere...but could be mistaken.

In any case, good luck with your ventures.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:00   #3

I guess I'm a bit nervous of single-handing one over 32' right away...

There was a BEAUTIFUL Liberty 28' listed a few months back. Had a huge crush on her. But she was sold quickly at $25k. It just seems that a Westsail 28 or Dreadnought 32 (also a big fan) for under 20k would require quite a bit of work and money.

Thanks for your post! I'll look more closely at the Albergs.
Old 21-04-2013, 18:08   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkelly View Post
Hello all!

Looking for some advice from those wiser and more experienced than I. Finishing up a masters degree and have found life demands the freedom that comes with living aboard. In between studying economics and sailing my little puffer 12' as much as possible, most of my time is spent doing research (which can be a little overwhelming). My uncle (proud owner of a Bristol '32) got me into this thing and now it's all I want. So heres where I need some advice.

Looking for a simple, inexpensive, live-aboard, bluewater cruiser that is frequently available on the market. I am not an experienced sailor (but with time!). And just as I single-hand life, so do I need a boat that can solo. My total budget is $20k or less... so one in the 10k-15k range. While there will be no circumnavigating in the immediate future, nothing less than a solid bluewater boat that could sail about the Caribbean or hop to the Bahamas will do.

With Westsails, Morrises, and similar full-keel, double-ended beauties too expensive, the list has come down to the following. I welcome any advice; additions and rejections; and most especially tales of high-seas adventure. I am a handy individual (first career was working with electrics and carpentry), but am not looking for a major fixer-uper. Also love to cook, am 6' 2", and prefer a tiller.

So I turn to you, wise men and women that you are.

Tartan 30'
Ranger 29'
Albin Vega 27'
Pearson 30', 31'
Allied Seawind 30'
Vineyard Vixen 30'
Cape Dory 27', 28' (but in what condition?)

I have a very good friend who lives on a 28' Cape Dory. He's a highly accomplished sailor, retired marine architect, skilled carpenter, etc. and keeps his boat in excellent repair.

It is his opinion that the Cape Dories vary greaty in their construction quality from year to year. Never heard that about a Tartan ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:08   #5

Boat: csy 37

Tartan 30'
Ranger 29'
Albin Vega 27'
Pearson 30', 31'
Allied Seawind 30'
Vineyard Vixen 30'
Cape Dory 27', 28'

all of those boats will work, if you're considering the usa east coast and bahamas. try to find one thats been upgraded to a diesel engine, as most of them originally came with gas engines.

tartan 30. well made good design. once met a couple from new york city doing the bahamas in one. engine box is in the main salon which uses up a bit of living space but makes engine maintenance a lot easier.

ranger 29. used to crew on one. nice boat.

albin vega. i owned one for five years. wonderful sailing boat, easily maintained and upgraded. i pulled the old inboard gas engine and replaced it with an outboard. worked fine for me. but it had a problem that you will eventually encounter; it had 5'10" headroom, and i needed 5'11". after five years that one inch drove me nuts and i sold it. the couple that bought it took it to the bahamas where they lived on it. two years later i met up with them in the berry islands.

pearson 30. my club owns one which we race offshore. fast and well built boat. many have been upgraded to diesel engines. but the rudder is hung out in space and vulnerable; cost us $3k to replace the rudder and shaft after it got damaged in a grounding. i knew a couple who cruised the bahamas in one.

allied seawind. nice old historical boat. may be hard to find nowadays.

vineyard vixen. i have no knowledge of this boat.

cape dory 27/28. i used to sail on a cd 28 with a club jib. nice easy sailing alberg design and well made.

i think you can get most of those boats in the $10k and under range, if you bargain hard enough. i would have no problem with taking any of them around the usa east coast and bahamas. you will have to prepare yourself and the boat, of course. there's a lot of free information around here, some of it actually worth listening to.

needless to say, i envy you. wish i had gone sailing after college....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:38   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

I relied on these two resource heavily when I was researching:
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

The first link has a list of about 80 or so boats under 32ft with an eye for simplicity and cost.

Keep in mind that unless the boat you buy has systems that are in good shape and well documented, you may find yourself spending a good 50% of the purchase price getting her ready. For instance, I bought a 30 year old boat in great shape overall, but I had no idea how old the rigging was and was not willing to risk a rig failure. Ditto for the thru-hulls and seacocks, though these are easier to inspect before replacement.

If the boat you are thinking about buying does not come with solid documentation on its essential systems, consider negotiating this point with the asking price.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 04:08   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

There's a Cape Dory 28 here in Va Beach for sale. (btw, it's on the Atom Voyages boat list) They only want $9,900.00 for it, but I'm thinking $7,500 - $8,500 might buy it.

I was onboard this boat Saturday. It's dry as a bone below. The exterior can be cleaned up quickly, and it has the bronze ports even though it's a 1976 model. Maybe the previous owner replaced them himself. There is something around each port that needs to be removed. (old glue or something)The tiller is flimsy and needs to be replaced. Didn't check other stuff yet.

This boat was a trade in ...................please come buy it before I do. I don't need another old full keel boat even though this one is much more roomy than my Bristol 27 believe it or not.

Used 1976 Cape Dory , Norfolk, Va - 23518 - BoatTrader.com
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 05:40   #8

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
When I was looking for mine.....this boat was in serious contention. Ultimately my `crew` of three `women` chose the one we got as in had bigger cabin area. If not this one, add Contest to your list.

http://dycboat.com/used-sail-inventory/

It is the Contest 31 if link doesn't take you direct to listing. Not exactly sure how to post a link on tablet.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 05:58   #9

Boat: O'Day 302
You don't need a "blue water" boat to cruise the Bahamas. A "coastal" cruiser will be fine.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...please come buy it before I do. I don't need another old full keel boat even though this one is much more roomy than my Bristol 27 believe it or not.

Used 1976 Cape Dory , Norfolk, Va - 23518 - BoatTrader.com
Thanks for the link. I'm sorry I can't ease your decision... just not quite ready to make a purchase! I like the CDs as much as any other on my little list.

Speaking of lists, laika, those two were where I began my search and I refer back to them regularly. Definitely appreciate the purchasing tips. Noted and logged. Could you share your recommendations on the Vancouver 27? Would be grateful.
Old 22-04-2013, 06:04   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
You don't need a "blue water" boat to cruise the Bahamas. A "coastal" cruiser will be fine.
Agreed. and since you are planning t live aboard, here's a piece of the best advice you're going to get:

Buy a boat with stand up headroom in the salon. I know - something with 6ft 3 inches is going to cost extra, but the last thing you want to do is spend your days crawling around whenever you're under deck. Just simple things like brushing your teeth or cooking become intolerable after a while.

I know, I'm 6 ft 1 in and had a boat that only had 5 ft. 9 under deck. I though I would end up permanently crippled after a year or two of sailing that boat - which otherwise was a damn fine boat that sailed unbelievably well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
...i think you can get most of those boats in the $10k and under range, if you bargain hard enough. i would have no problem with taking any of them around the usa east coast and bahamas. you will have to prepare yourself and the boat, of course. there's a lot of free information around here, some of it actually worth listening to.

needless to say, i envy you. wish i had gone sailing after college....
Thanks for taking the time to share all this info. I would certainly prefer a full keel or cutaway. Scary thought, losing the rudder. And... better late than never? Just glad I'm still single!
Old 22-04-2013, 06:10   #13

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

scratch the vega off the list, your way too tall for the boat.
i have something like 6'7" in my westsail.
i couldnt imagine not having standing headroom, its worth waiting a little longer and saving your pennies. i lived aboard a 23' without standing headroom for a couple years.

btw, i think that the vega is a great bluewater pocket cruiser.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Agreed. and since you are planning t live aboard, here's a piece of the best advice you're going to get:

Buy a boat with stand up headroom in the salon.

Do you have any recommendations?? Thanks for the post!
Old 22-04-2013, 06:20   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

under 20k will not yield many blue water ready sailing boats. you may have to relegate self to project boat with space. under 20k project boats are everywhere.
welcome to cf and good luck in your search.

i found mine as a project for 10k, a 41 formosa--other good deals occur--you have to watch closely and be there with money.

btw--foromsas have 6-4+ headroom.....and gorgeous teak interiors and other plus sides to them. easy repairs, as in access to equipment is easier than many other boats..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote