Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 11:37   #31

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

I'm 6'5" and got a boat I can't stand in but I like my boat anyway. The sleeping accommodations are large enough for me to fit comfortably too.

You can find something that will work for now, then you will have a better idea of what to look for if or when you go up to a larger size.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 11:49   #32

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

mentioning your height may consume this thread (as it should), but you will suffer losses for your other concerns.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 13:11   #33

Boat: 12' 1976 AMF Puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
mentioning your height may consume this thread (as it should), but you will suffer losses for your other concerns.
So I see! It is likely this would be my boat for only a few years. Something with which I can learn. The dream will wait a few years. So if I have to stoop thats ok, as long as its not a full-on slouch. What I think IS important is the galley be aft so I can stretch my back while cooking. Given my height, I'm just going to have to be flexible.
dogeconomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:37   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, the Yankee 30 has a bolt on keel. So do the vast majority of fin keel boats built in the last 30 or 40 years. The fraction of those that have had problems due to the bolt on keels is vanishingly small. There are lots of better things to worry about.

And re using the Pardey's advice: remember that they are both rather small people... something on the order of 5'5" and 4'11" respecively. this is one reason that they were so successful in living and cruising on small vessels.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-04-2013, 14:56   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think with headroom you are better off having seriously short headroom so you know you have to stoop around, or seriously tall headroom so that you can walk to most areas without banging your head. Having just enough headroom or slightly too little means you are perpetually smashing the top of your head on things. Check out the berths too! I've been on very small boats that had nice long berths, and I've been on rather large boats that had very short berths. IMHO you will be seriously uncomfortable if you can't sleep comfortably--worse than short headroom.
Old 22-04-2013, 14:58   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The old islander 32, 33 and 34 have 6'-4" headroom for at least half the main cabin. At the forward end by the head its about 5'-11" in the 34. Most can be had for around $15k ish. My 34 was under $12K but needed a little more loving. Generally pretty strongly built hulls and decks.

The 33 and 34 have slightly stretched hulls over the 32, but all are basically the same design.

I've got a little more then $20k in my 34, but not a lot more, so it is doable.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 12:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The old islander 32, 33 and 34 have 6'-4" headroom for at least half the main cabin. At the forward end by the head its about 5'-11" in the 34. Most can be had for around $15k ish. My 34 was under $12K but needed a little more loving. Generally pretty strongly built hulls and decks.

The 33 and 34 have slightly stretched hulls over the 32, but all are basically the same design.

I've got a little more then $20k in my 34, but not a lot more, so it is doable.
Would you feel comfortable single-handing a 34'er? Makes me a little nervous. That and boats seem to be exponentially harder to trailer over 30'.
Old 23-04-2013, 14:23   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

LOL, I single hand my 34 all the time, like today for example. They are easy to sail. Its a small 34 compared to today's newer, wider and higher freeboard designs. It looks like a 28' boat from a distance.

My only grip is the rudder is inboard a bit and is a little twitchy to say the least, and the cockpit is a bit too big. But it will just about sail its self once the sails are balanced. 3/4 full keel, but shallow bilges so wetted area is not too bad. Lots of overhang, so water line length will not win any races. But tons of reserve buoyancy.

Oh and heavy with solid fiberglass hull and 3/8" to 1/2" thick deck. Tender at first, but at 15 degrees its sweet. Keel is 5' deep (they say 4'-8") but mine loaded for liveaboard sailing is 5' deep. Which is still not bad. Rigging is older CCA design with longer boom and shorter mast. Air draft is about 41 feet ish. Again not fast, but not bad either.

To me its the perfect liveaboard singlehanded boat. Low aft free board makes docking alone easy. Like any boat it has issues, but the price is low and for me at least I've been happy with mine.

I should say that mine is the yachtcraft kit version and my interior is not quite the same as the stock 34. I think the 32's have about the same cabin with a slightly shorter cockpit.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 07:03   #39

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

If I were you, and I did this even though I am not you and a bit shorter, is go to a boat yard (one that sells boats) and let the broker know you are interested. Let them know that to start, head room is an important factor. If the broker is about your height....follow him. If he is shorter...try them ALL. It won't cost you anything to check the head room. Another thing I would check if I were you, because I didn't, is check the height of the berths along with the length. We have a high V berth (great stowage underneath!) and a pain in the arse to get in out of sometimes! Take 15-20 mins in each one, sit in each settee, climb in and out of the Q and V to see what 'feels' right. It appears most heads where made 'tight' so that you can brace yourself while underway, but it looks like you might also be looking for a boat with a little wider head. So sit in the head too. You will quickly find out that you really wont be standing upright in your boat cabin enough for headroom to be your biggest concern.

My dad is 6'4" and doesn't have to 'slouch' on my boat, but he does have to tilt his head down. But on a 28'er, this is really only for a few steps to get where you will be sitting or laying anyway. So get on the 'little boats' and check those out as well....you might be surprised when you take ALL OF IT into consideration. IMO.

BUT.....disregard my previous post. While a Contest 31 is a top notch single handed boat....it is not a big cabin of any sorts.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we can start the arguements now:

Seriously, a modern production boat will take anything you can throw at it and more - don't worry about that. Find yourself something with enough headroom, a toilet, that sails fairly well and that you like to look at. If it meets all those criteria - it's a great boat
Unfortunately he's not getting a Modern Production Boat for less than $20K!! He's getting an old boat likely in less than perfect shape, so eliminating as many things that could be wrong from the get go is a good idea!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:10   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think with headroom you are better off having seriously short headroom so you know you have to stoop around, or seriously tall headroom so that you can walk to most areas without banging your head. Having just enough headroom or slightly too little means you are perpetually smashing the top of your head on things.
Agreed. I spent a few weeks crewing on a Tayana 48 where I smacked my head on a mini-bulkhead every time I walked into the galley. There aren't enough words on this forum to express my contempt for that boat's designer.

I raced an Express 37 for many years where I had to stoop considerably to move around below, and I never once hit my head on that boat. But I was young then, and willing to stoop because the boat was fast and it won us a great deal of silver.

My days of purchasing boats with insufficient headroom are far behind me, fortunately. Having a boat in which one can stand without stooping may be a luxury for some, but for me it's an essential design consideration.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
My days of purchasing boats with insufficient headroom are far behind me, fortunately. Having a boat in which one can stand without stooping may be a luxury for some, but for me it's an essential design consideration.
Someday I hope to have the same luxury. But I think I'm willing to stoop for now if the boat is solid, attractive, and inexpensive. As you said, its a luxury and I've got to sacrifice somewhere.

Anyone have any personal experience with a C&C Corvette 31?
Old 24-04-2013, 09:44   #43

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post
Someday I hope to have the same luxury. But I think I'm willing to stoop for now if the boat is solid, attractive, and inexpensive. As you said, its a luxury and I've got to sacrifice somewhere.

Anyone have any personal experience with a C&C Corvette 31?
Please don't take the height consideration lightly when selecting a boat.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:49   #44

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Was this question asked on another forum? The one with the net behind the sail?
At any rate, it looks familiar, and Bob Perry (boat designer extraordinaire) actually chimed in with the recommendation of the Ranger 29.
I'd value his opinion as at least 2 votes to one, when compared to the rest of us plebeians. Especially since it isn't even one of his own designs.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 11:12   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Was this question asked on another forum? The one with the net behind the sail?
At any rate, it looks familiar, and Bob Perry (boat designer extraordinaire) actually chimed in with the recommendation of the Ranger 29.
I'd value his opinion as at least 2 votes to one, when compared to the rest of us plebeians. Especially since it isn't even one of his own designs.
Yep! Mentioned in that one I had previously posted here. Got lots of great advice from both sites. I didn't know that about Perry. There's a ranger for sale on the lake were I sail my little puffer and am waiting to hear back about a visit! Thanks for letting me know.