Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:22   #1
sjs

A Bit Off Topic

As in other times when I was between boats, and still looking for my next, I have relied on bareboat chartering to get on the water. It occurs to me I can buy a daysailer for the amount I spend on a few charters and be on the water much more often.

I know this is a crusers forum but the knowledge and courtesy here is unmatched elsewhere so I hope you will indulge a little diversion and give me the aid of your expertise.

I have not owned or sailed a daysailer or a sailing dinghy in many years. I know what I would buy were I younger but those days are gone. I have a bit of a back issue and want to limit hiking out when the boat heels. I also do not want to have to balance myself carefully when the wind is light. I would also like to avoid bending extremely low to miss the boom on a tack, though I know all dinghys require some bending. I also want to singlehand it most of the time, but would like to be able to bring a crew of one more person at times. I do not think I want to bother with a spinnaker.

This rules out performance boats like a Laser or Finn, and probably even something as sedate as a sunfish. I sailed several Flying Scotts but that was many years ago and I cannot recall if they are stable enough to avoid hiking if I choose to. On the other hand, I want as much performance as possible for a creaky old man.

I have looked on the internet at many designs from the Coronado 15 and Capri 14 to a Fatty Knees, to West Wight Potter 15 and lots in between. Problem is, I cannot tell from the internet what boat would be a good compromise between stability and performance. I can buy new or used and either keep it on a trailer or at a marina.

I am hoping some of you have had the opportunity to get off your bluewater cruisers and do enough daysailing/dinghy sailing to have some insights into this. Any advice is appreciated.

Excuse me if I put this on the wrong forum category.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have a Hunter 170 which would exactly fit your requirements except it's not cheap. You would have to spend around $8k for a good one.

Where do you live?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:07   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
How about and Etchell (sp?).. They can be trailered, most are all set up.They cant sink( usually) they have a roomy cockpit and they sail like crazy.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53   #4
sjs

I'm in SE PA, usually sail the Chesapeake and have kept boats in Marinas at Havre de Grace, MD. If I did get a daysailer I could also sail it in the Susquehanna River, which is nearby. I'll take a look at the H17.

I always thought of the Etchels as an all out racer, but I have never sailed one.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Dunno if these have made it to your part of the world............

Hawk 20 Dayboat Inventories & Options - Reid Marine

Never been on one, but they seem to get good write ups.

Or a bit more tradtional............

A Drascombe (various sizes)

No Boom

Sails & rigging for Drascombe boats by Drascombe by Churchouse Boats
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:44   #6
sjs

That Drascombe is a pretty little vessel.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think these are Catalina 14s.

When I visit my brother we sometimes rent one for a putter around the pond.

You don't have to work too hard, don't have to hike and they are more comfortable than a dinghy, based on what you are asking for.

The dinghy in the shot is my brother's Force 5 dinghy for contrast. Similar length drastically different boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100096.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	18995  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27   #8
sjs

Thank you. That's what I needed, someone who has recently sailed a specific boat and recalls the stability and responsiveness. Funny, but when I read your post and checked out the Catalina promotional info on the 14, they start out by describing it as stable and responsive. I need to go sail one.

Come to think of it, I used to sail Catalina 22's and they were both stable and responsive, but I didn't think about them because they are bigger than I want at the moment. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A little more -

- You can see the boat in the picture has a pretty short cut main sail. I think the place does this on purpose because it's a small pond, it gets crowded and the sailors aren't proficient. Even with this small rig there was one turtled on the pond with the mast securely stuck in the mud.

- You can hike as there are hiking straps but if you set a short sail you won't need to

- My sister in law won't get on the Force 5 but is happy in the Catalina because it has a back rest, a proper bench and feels like a sailboat to her

- It has a raising dagger board. I didn't really look how complicated it was to raise and lower the rig for trailering. I am not into trailering and it would be ideal to have adolly and leave it rigged at a site somewhere.

Where are you located?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:16   #10

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Five years ago I spent 4 weeks sailing the Devon coast on a Drascombe Lugger. What a wonderful boat she proved to be. http://www.drascombe-association.org.uk/drascombes.php

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40   #11
sjs

Ex-Calif, I guess I could have a full size main and just add a reef point or two if the occasion called for reduced sail. I'm in the Lancaster, PA area and normally sail the Chesapeake when cruising but there is a yacht club very nearby on the Susquehanna River and I could keep it there on a dolly. I think the smaller Catalinas might offer a fixed keel version as well as a dagger board or centerboard.

Fishwife, was that a cruise or did you day sail along the coast?