Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 00:51   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: '78 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
After speaking with HansSolo, and giving it a lot of thought.

I think that there is just way to much work to be done to this boat, even if I could talk the owner down way low.
Honestly, with the list of woes that you posted, free would be many thousands of dollars too high!

You have just made a wise decision,mate. Congratulations are due because it is so easy to convince yourself that you can make it all good for not so much money.

Keep looking... there are some good and inexpensive boats out there, just waiting for you.

Cheers and good hunting

Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: '78 Cheoy Lee offshore 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
I spent 2 hours on it today.

It sorta scared me.

The present owners has not cared for this boat since he bought it 8 years ago. Both masts have peeled varnish, and the wood does not look good in a few places. None of the wood on the exterior has varnish sticking to it and the wood is looking roough in most places.

The port llights have been leaking, the chainplates have been leaking. and there was a creaking sound on 3 places on the deck.

The water heater must be replaced, as well as the pressure pump. The condenser for the fridge is shot.

The interior wood is not in good shape...the floor needs repair, the table? complete rebuild....

All the cushions and fabric need replacing.

The mainsail (only sail I looked at) has a rip at the only spot I looked....

Chainplates are rusted.

Running rigging is WAY past it's prime and is coming apart. HOWEVER the standing rigging appears to be in good shape where it attaches to the chainplates.

It looks to me as if EVERYTHING needs repairs or replacing. and this includes almost every inch of teak (veneer) inside, and probably 1/4 of the teak and holly sole.

Even the paint that was inside was either cracked and peeling or had mildew...

And this guy wants 32,000 bucks....(because it's in bad shape).....
Cruising friends of ours had one and it has serious chainplate problems due to rust. Be very careful and check them out throughly if you decide to go through with the purchase. But it sounds like you have already decided to give it a pass.

Tags
cheoy lee, offshore