Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 07:03   #1

Boat: YachtCraft 34
Question 76 Islander 34 good cruiser?

We just acquired a 76 Islander 34. she is a full keel boat from a former boatyard mgr. he owned her for 22 yrs. and sailed her fairly extensively. last cruise was 4 yrs. ago though from Washington to Ca. The PO has or was in the process of upgrading the rig and systems for off-shore work. All the deck hardware is very heavy duty but not overkill. She's got TONS of spares and equipement that he was in the process of installing, such as wind and solar etc. all electrical has been replaced. My biggest concern is that the inboard has been removed . There are currently 2 8 hp outboards and a 4 hp for the dinghy. I plan to sell the 2 8hp. I know the boat was originally equipped with an atomic 4. I'd prefer to re-install an inboard but i'm unsure of the mounts/stringers etc. She hasn't been out of the water in almost 4 yrs. either. I plan to pull her this winter and do a complete bottom job and inspect and replace any thru-hulls or other below the water line parts as needed. I can't seem to find alot of info on the Islander 34, Lots of stuff abouth the 36 etc. So i'd like to get any opinions, comments and experiences anyone has with these specific boats. sorry for the long post!!
sailorsam57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 07:25   #2

Re: 76 Islander 34 good cruiser?

Welcome to CF. I cant give you any info on that particular boat, but if the engine beds are still in place, BETA MARINE sells small Kobota based diesels that have mounting brackets designed to drop into atomic4 beds. They have a very good reputation. It will probably cost you almost as much as you paid for the boat, but will give you a great engine. If the beds have been removed, there is a very good explanation, and drawings on CF, of how to mock up new beds. You would have to use the search feature to find the post, but it was very good. Best of luck, you have joined a good group. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 07:39   #3

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

I haven't done a full repower but after spending quality time curled upside down reinstalling a transmission on a similar vessel it's a job but not rocket science. Careful measuring and getting the alignment to within the .001 inch tolerance that will keep the engine any you happy is very doable and make for a great crusier. Great project! (don't buy a new Yanmar (see other thread ) ;-)

If the stuffing box is glassed in, that may be the challenging part.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 08:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Can you post a photo of the islander 34. I would expect a 76 islander 34 to be the mark II version with a fin keel. The older I34's had a cutaway full keel. The Mark 2 would be a better sailing boat, well faster and better handling. Bob Perry designed it and its pretty sweet. Though the older I34's are stout little boats. Not fast by any means, unless the winds are up. The mkI I34 was a Mcgleason design/ stretch of the I32, which was a copy of an even older lapworth design.

A older 2GM yanmar would be perfect for an I34. Beta though would be the way to go with a new engine.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 08:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sam.

Beta Marine makes Atomic 4 diesel replacements ( no need to modify your engine beds or stringers).
http://www.betamarinecanada.com/pdf/A4_guidelines.pdf
http://www.betamarinenw.com/Applicat...tomicfour.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 09:19   #6

Boat: YachtCraft 34

I don't currently have any pics, however it is the full keel version. I'm not entirely convinced it's not older than reported, but it is a documented vessel soooooo. I'm not as concerned about performance as i am about cruising comfort and stability. Just trying to get some idea of sailing characteristics etc. from those who've sailed them and recommendations for the re-power.
sailorsam57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 09:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsam57 View Post
I don't currently have any pics, however it is the full keel version. I'm not entirely convinced it's not older than reported, but it is a documented vessel soooooo. I'm not as concerned about performance as i am about cruising comfort and stability. Just trying to get some idea of sailing characteristics etc. from those who've sailed them and recommendations for the re-power.
Ah, well if it has a full Keel, its the older Mcgleason version, like mine. It's possible that it was not commissioned until 76, but it's more likely a 72-73 hull.

Good boats. They sail great. CCA design. Steering can be a little twitchy due to the rudder being close to center of motion. They are initially a bit tender, but once healed to 15-20 degrees, are on rails and track and sail well. They back like a drunken elephant due to the barn door rudder.

They are actually a heavy displacement boat, due to short water line length and over hangs. Great for coastal work. Very similar hull shape and design to Hal Roth's boat with all the limitations it had too.

The cockpit is a bit too big for boarding seas. I have four cockpit drains, one in a each corner. Original design was for two, which is NOT enough.

It's a good solid boat that can take you just about anywhere. Not fast unless the winds are up. It will flat out fly close hauled in 25-30 knots of wind. But generally a 5-6 knot boat that will not beat you up.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:58   #8

hey all,

I acquired a 1974 Islander 34 a few months ago, and have been slowly working my way through all the internal systems (pulling 30 years of old wires, replacing the porta-potty with a Lavac and a holding tank, replacing the kerosene stove/tank with propane, cleaning/painting bilges, etc etc.). I've moved aboard, and am repurposing the cash that I was spending on SF rent and preparing her for an extended multi-year cruise, most likely beginning this fall. I'm saving up for a new set of sails, new rig, and new canvas, and need to paint her topsides as well.

it's getting to be time to work on the outside of the boat! she sails very well, especially considering I think she still has her original mainsail - possibly the baggiest I've ever seen.

I was wondering if any of the owners on CF have done extensive cruising on their I34's, and if so, maybe we could share some photos - it can either be in this thread, or perhaps we could make a new one?

I'm looking for answers/thoughts/ideas/examples on the following:

- do you cruise with extra jerrycans for water/diesel? if so, where do you store them?

- have you inspected your shroud chainplates? it seems like only the top shroud chainplates are secured to a bulkhead, and the two mid-shrouds are just deck fittings with backing plates... I'm considering pulling all of these out to external side-hull-mounted chainplates, thoughts?

- do you have a watermaker aboard? if so, what do you have and where did you install it?

- I have a *fantastic* offshore dodger, but my bimini is a flimsy generic one, poorly mounted. does anyone have a bimini they really love, and if so could you send pics?

- I have an Aries windvane on the stern, but I'm also interested in adding solar panels back there... does anyone have both, and are you happy with the way you have them configured?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2016, 13:07   #9

oh, and does anyone have a higher-resolution version of the line drawing found at sailboatdata? they have one, but it's too low-res to make out any of the labels on things. I'm pretty sure I know what they all say already, but it would be nice to have the higher-res one anyway.
Old 01-04-2016, 13:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

do you cruise with extra jerrycans for water/diesel? if so, where do you store them?

I carry a jerry can of Diesel in the aft lazerette and water in two jugs on deck. I also store gas and propane to one side of the aft lazzerette

- have you inspected your shroud chainplates? it seems like only the top shroud chainplates are secured to a bulkhead, and the two mid-shrouds are just deck fittings with backing plates... I'm considering pulling all of these out to external side-hull-mounted chainplates, thoughts?

My I34 was a Yachtcraft kit and all my chainplates are bolted with substantial glassed ribs to the hull. My chain plates are 24"x3"x1/4" probably not stock.

- do you have a watermaker aboard? if so, what do you have and where did you install it?

No water maker. 35 gallons in the tank and two 6 gallon jerry cans is enough for over 3 weeks for one crazy cat lady (Plus cat)
Old 02-04-2016, 17:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I also store gas and propane to one side of the aft lazzerette[/COLOR][/COLOR]
hmm, that's one I haven't quite solved yet - is your propane stored in an isolated locker, vented overboard? can you post a pic?

not sure yet whether I'm going to build myself a locker in that area or just hang one off the stern rail.
Old 02-04-2016, 17:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My tank sits inside a SS cage or rack on deck. It may have been custom made. It's through bolted to the deck. I have a sunbrella cover that keeps the sun off.
Old 05-08-2016, 15:43   #13

Boat: 1968 Islander 34

I've put a lot of work into my 1968 Islander 34 (see photo link below). Great boat & lots of fun. I use it mostly for day sailing and cruising to Catalina. I installed a propane locker next to the aft lazarette on the starboard side.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - HeyChief's Album: "The Sloop John B" a 1968 Islander 34
HeyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser