Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2008, 20:15   #1

'72 columbia 41

I've got an appointment to look at a Columbia 41 Center Cockpit. From the pictures on yachtworld, it looks pretty good. Is there any oddities that I should be looking for? Problem areas? Are there any questions that I need to be asking? We are "NEW" to the boat buying scene and have been browsing around for quite a while, but have not been on that many boats. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
olhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 14:10   #2

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Old boats

I am not personally familiar with Columbias, but found Don Casey's book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" to be very helpful when I bought my Cal.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 14:24   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't ever remember seeing a 41ft cc Columbia. The 45 cc wasn't a good windward sailor, but a palace for living space. My 72 Columbia 30 was tough as can be. Very overbuilt, and a descent sailor too. Post a pic if you have one. In general Columbias were overbuilt, and good sailors especially if it is a Bill Tripp design
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 06:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 8 boats, to many to name
The 41 was a center cockpit, very high freeboard, cruiser. It has a hugh interior with no opening ports as I recall just a couple of large hatches on deck.
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:05   #5

Boat: Columbia 41
I own a Columbia 41, 1974. It is very roomy with three cabins plus galley and head. I have had 15 people aboard for dock parties. Being an older boat you can expect to replace most of the electrical system and nav lights instruments. This is not so hard since there is lots of room to work in. I also replaced the standing rigging after exchanging emails with a fellow Columbia owner in Michagan. He had issues with cracked rigging swag fittings. My boat had been on the hardstand for many years and there were only 100 hours on the Perkins diesel. I also replaced all but two of the keel studs with stainless steel. Two were under the motor mount and could not be extracted. All the bolts were replaced. Also, the original wood framed deck hatches were replaced with modern Bomar hatches. This requried new combings to be built and glassed in. For a large boat, it seems to sail well. The boat has a large rudder and will tack in its own length. I would recommend buying one if you look on it as a hobby and plan to spend come money and time bringing it up the modern yacht standards.

Sam Hepford
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia