Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 19:54   #1

66 Alberg 30, Girl of my Dreams?

I'm in love, and I don't want to have my heart broken.

I went and checked her out last week, and the owner is a likeminded individual following the advice of Yves Gelinas, James Baldwin, and the Pardeys. He has done a lot of DIY, very practical, improvements and simplifications. Head is a port-a-potty, galley sink is gravity fed from a modified water cooler stowed in the v-berth- things that some cruisers would see as a drastic downgrades are in my mind finished projects I would have probably done myself. All of the typical weak points of the Alberg 30 seem to have been properly mitigated, e.g., backing the chain plates, increasing the bolts sizes, metal support mounted to the mast step beam. He has already accepted the offer of $14000. I'll set up survey and take her with the owner next week I guess. I asked questions up and down the boat until I couldn't think of anything else to ask. The only issues are that the electric bilge didn't come on last week when he tried and a light in the head is disconnected, literally that's it.

This is going to be my house for my girlfriend and I and a means to many of my ends. We will live aboard it, learn all we can, sail all we can in the Gulf of Mexico (It's in Kemah, TX), save up, continue to do refits, and then start sailing more bluewater as the $ and experience comes. Cuba is on my mind first, maybe Caribbean.

Anyway, you guys/gals have supplied me with so much information in the past and I think it only prudent to tap this collection of experiences and opinions.

Is this a 'good deal?' Should I be looking/asking about something else? Really, I am just looking for some devil's advocates or, secretly, reassurance from my cruising peers. I just want some opinions. If you want more information, please ask, I'm eager to hear what y'all have to say.

This is a list he provided me with:

12000 BTU CRUISE AIR (AIRCONDITIONING/HEATER)
SHORE POWER
PROPANE STOVE/OVEN
CAPEHORN SELF STEERING VANE
HAYN HIMOD STANDING RIGGING 2010
CHAINPLATES REPLACED AND STRENGTHENED WITH LARGER BOLTS 2005
10.5' NESTING DINGY FITS ON CABIN TOP W/OARS
GRAVITY WATER FEED IN GALLEY
6.5 HP LONG SHAFT OUTBOARD
EDSON BILGE PUMP 1 GALLON/STROKE
25 LBS CQR AND DANFORTH ANCHORS
LOFRANS WINDLASS
AGM BATTERY AND SOLAR PANNEL
NEW 4" THICK INSULATION BUILT IN TOP LOADING ICE CHEST
TEAK BOOM GALLOWS
HULL AWLGRIP PAINT 2010
ONLY 4 THRU HULLS BELOW WATERLINE
HAWKEYE DEPTH SOUNDER MOUNTED ON INSIDE OF HULL
SPINNAKER POLE
MAIN
110% JIB
90%JIB
STORM TRISAIL/ SEPERATE TRACK
DRIFTER
KARASEEN HEATER AND TANK - NOT INSTALLED
CORSAIR SHIPS CLOCK
BAROMETER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040840.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	41582   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040842.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	41583  

Name:	P1040850.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	41584   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040864.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	41585  

Name:	P1040872.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	41586   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040875.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	41587  

Utilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 20:52   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 66 Alberg 30, girl of my dreams?

I'm glad your in love...May all your dreams be realized.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 23:09   #3

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

As a fellow Alberg 30 owner, who also is in love with the boat, my opinion is biased. The Alberg you are looking at seems like a good deal and the pictures look good. Because of how simple the Alberg is I chose not to have a survey done, I did it myself and saved some money. Obviously this decision could have gone either way. I paid to have the boat hauled and inspected her. You have quite a list of equipment, if you are comfortable with the price then go for it.

There are alot of opinions out there of Alberg designs, some hate the boats and others love them. If you do buy this Alberg remember she is not the fastest boat or the roomiest, but she will get you home when the going gets tough. You will get lots of use from that drifter in light airs.....

Good Luck
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 01:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Looks like a lovely boat. good luck to you both. Wish we could but boats like that out here for that kind of money.

Coops.
Old 29-05-2012, 07:37   #5

Thanks all!

The owner wants to know if I want to do a quick haul to check the bottom. He took it out in 2010 for a bottom job and replaced 2 thru-hulls. Should I?

I don't even know how much to expect it to cost. I'll ask the surveyors I call today their opinion.
Old 29-05-2012, 07:45   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quick hauls are cheap!! Even if you don't get a survey arrange with the owner to get a quick haul and ride the boat to the yard. Feel and listen to the engine, when the boat is in the slings pop a new zinc on the shaft and have a general looksee At the bott.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Quick hauls are cheap!! Even if you don't get a survey arrange with the owner to get a quick haul and ride the boat to the yard. Feel and listen to the engine, when the boat is in the slings pop a new zinc on the shaft and have a general looksee At the bott.
It's outfitted with a 6.5 outboard. You're in Houston! Boat is in Kemah. Do you have any recommendations for a surveyor?

I just got a quote for under $500 including haul-out. Is there anything else I can 'quickly do' while it's out? Wish I could quickly fill in the prop aperture! That's a project down the road I guess...
Old 29-05-2012, 08:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

First, I think the Alberg 30 is a wonderful boat and great value for money. If I were cruising with another person and living ashore, it would probably be my choice. But, as a liveaboard (Tayana 37), I have to tell you that for a couple, this is absolutely the minimum you will need to have even a modicum of comfort. I'm being really generous there - actually, it's just too small, IMHO.

If you decide to go ahead, you will need to agree to keep an absolute minimum of personal possessions aboard and be rigorously disciplined in what you bring aboard. Make no mistake - living aboard (I've done it for 5 years now) is not much different than living in a van down by the river - except the van might be roomier.

So, just be aware that you will be living in the nautical equivalent of a pup tent. It won't be easy.
Old 29-05-2012, 14:42   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilitary View Post
It's outfitted with a 6.5 outboard. You're in Houston! Boat is in Kemah. Do you have any recommendations for a surveyor?

I just got a quote for under $500 including haul-out. Is there anything else I can 'quickly do' while it's out? Wish I could quickly fill in the prop aperture! That's a project down the road I guess...
I would use Firestone or Newberry.

We also keep our boat in Kemah.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 15:08   #10

Good looking boat....30' a bit small for liveaboard, but doable. also, sounds like you may be a new sailor. congrats. 30', IMO, good size to learn on.Follow your heart, but move cautiously, many boats for sale. but, if she is the one, you will know. recommend an survey, just in case. and can be used for final negotiations. also, you may need one for insurance anyway.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 17:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Your state you have made an offer, dont know if that is verbal or written. I suppose you can still walk from a verbal...

Its a decent boat but not my kind of boat. I would not want to climb over the galley counter all the time, especially at dinner/cooking time.

The head seems weird and cramped but most boats are cramped in the head space.

Get the survey and haulout, it is cheap insurance. Particpate if you can.

For a liveaboard personal space is critical and as others have stated you are below my loa comfort length. But definitely doable.

If you live in a marina I don't see a power problem but for extended time on hook it sounds very low in battery power and charging options. For a couple on the hook I think you need to plan on generating 90-100 amps a day needing about 300 a/h of storage.

All in all if you are happy, go for it. It has to be right for you and her and no one else.

PS - I would not carry full insurance, just liability.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 18:10   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: 66 Alberg 30, Girl of my Dreams?

Too old and too small. In your price range and area I would look at this ...1983 Beneteau First 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 29-05-2012, 18:15   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 19:36   #14

Boat: Tartan 30

If I recall correctly, when Yves dismasted his A30, the size of the bolts in the chainplates was not the issue. It was the actual structure the chainplates are bolted to that gave way and allowed the chain plates (with bolts intact) to rip through the deck. Backing plates and larger bolts would not have prevented this... when he refit the boat he enlarged the 'knees' and reinforced them before installing new plates.

But I wouldn't worry about that unless you're going into the Southern Ocean in the near future Looks like a great boat and the A30's are my favorite of the Albergs

(edit) I guess I didn't recall correctly.... He did say the bolts sheared :shrug: Must be thinking of a different boat
Old 29-05-2012, 19:49   #15

Wait, are you saying there is no inboard?. If that is the case, I think you are paying way too much.

IMO, $14k for an Alberg 30 is probably too much, regardless of how wonderful the boat's condition might be, with lots of great sails and a relatively new Yanmar or Beta diesel of at least 15hp.

For this boat, with no inboard, I can't see that price at all.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30