Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2008, 15:33   #1

Boat: Ron Given 26ft
Send a message via Skype™ to NZed
6'4" and no headroom, OUCH ! Suitable 40' steel hull designs ?

I am interested with all you tall fellow sailers who are height tested inclinded , who have experience with steel hull yacht designs which have enough headroom ? 6'4" plus
I am particularly interested in an offshore design 40ft, most of my sailing will be in Wellington and the sounds with off shore trips to the islands planned.

I have particularly been interested in the Ganley designs. The Tara would be nice if it had more head room. I have been on a Pacemaker which had enough head room around the Galley which could work.

Feed back appreciated.

NZed
Tall in height but short on options ?
NZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 20:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Dropping the sole...

If you are looking at designs, as opposed to existing boats, then it should not be too difficult to lower the height of the floors (the transverse frames normally under the sole) so that the sole sits lower.

I would expect that dropping the height by 6 - 8" to be feasible in the main cabin of some steel designs. The main disadvantages may be reduced fuel capacity, less room for house batteries and reduced "walking" space. This could be mitigated by building in integral fuel tanks, considering alternate engine locations and interior layouts.

It may be possible to raise the cabin top by a small amount.

Headroom in the forward or aft cabins is going to be difficult.

You would need to check with the designer to make sure that this does not weaken the hull/deck, affect the stability or unduely affect the aesthetics.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 22:46   #3

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I have a steel Amazon 44, and am also 6'4". It's mostly OK, just barely, although I walk with a bit of a stoop when aboard. Boat-shopping was painful, and I found myself wishing I had gotten bonzai'd when I was a teen...

-Steve
Old 16-11-2008, 14:54   #4

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
At sea I found low ceilings of benefit. I could brace myself on the galley rof while cooking, leaving both hands free. I spent many years ate sea in boats with out much headroom. I am also 6'4''. As long as the bunks are long enough I don't mind. At sea I am always walking with my legs slightly splayed for keeping upright on a moving platform.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 14:52   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Dropping the sole doesn't work very well for me, sole sits on the cross members and even then bilge is only 4". My cabin top was cold molded so no deck beams, but still only 5'8". Under the companion way hatch, all of the galley, head room is 6'2" and under midship hatch head room is 6'1". I am 6'1" so have implemented a few modifications first companionway hatch is being rebuilt and rasied 1" (6'3" in galley) and square mid ship hatch 22"x22"x6'1" is being replaced with a peaked hatch 24"x32" w/ 6'4" at peak also deck hatch will be raised anf redesigned to give more room in forward cabin. None of this will cosmetically stick up. If you are creative, you can increase headroom with out putting a big superstructure on your boat.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:08   #6

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
I am reconstructing a 34' steel ketch. I had it parked on a trailer (yacht hauler lowboy) at the local fabricator. We put 5 new sheets of steel ,garboards , coachroof sections, hatch surrounds, portlight rings (the main issue as leaking ports flooded the engine), companionway, complete new cockpit, stiffeners, chain locker, you name it. The point being, the owner is 6'4/6'5, If I had thought of it (please don't tell, I thought of everything else!) then raising the coachroof 2" would have been nothing. The corners are all square! Two days, two guys then grind and fair, the interior was rotted anyway. Just a thought.
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headroom, steel hull