Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-10-2013, 15:26   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: 64' 4" Mast and the ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
.................... Friends later said next time say' OK we assume that you have adequate insurance to cover us for any damage or injury if you are wrong' which usually gets their attention and they will raise it......................
We have noticed that once you travel south of the Indian River the bridge tenders in South Florida will not give any statement identifying the numerical vertical clearance of the bridges. This may be related to the proportional increase of law suits and lawyers in South Florida!

Old 08-10-2013, 16:07   #17

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43 Kinvara

We have travelled the ICW twice from Newport, Ri to the Bahamas. Our mast is not as tall...60' but we have 5'6" draft. The northern bridges are pretty true to 65'. Once you head south of Norfolk, VA it gets more difficult to judge. With your depth you should be able to use half to low tide to pass through. The ICW needs planning for each days passage with wind and tide and constant attention to markers. Always honor the floating markers since they change to mark shoaling. Any day trips you can do outside would help with bridges, especially in Florida.
I did my first overnight from St Mary's River to Cape Canaveral. It was a straight shot offshore with land lights always visible. My husband and I actually stayed awake most of the time with only cat naps in the cockpit. It was an easy run.
Good luck. If doing the Bahamas try to find the "Explorer" charts for the areas your going to.

Old 08-10-2013, 16:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
When we first arrived here and were living on our then trawler motor vessel, I called 'Main Street bridge in Daytona on the VHF because we needed 22ft clearance and the gauge said 22ft, so I asked them to lift for us, The Bridge control lady refused saying we had plenty of clearance so I went very slowly and nervously through with the bridge lady saying 'see you had plenty of clearance. Friends later said next time say' OK we assume that you have adequate insurance to cover us for any damage or injury if you are wrong' which usually gets their attention and they will raise it.... Of course had we been a sailboat as we are again now, there would have been no argument and they would have had to lift. Sailboats have the advantage of being seen from farther away and the pointy bit sticking up clearly says we need the lift
I have found that the bridge tenders in Daytona, especially the women, are the most pleasant and helpful on the ICW. One even opened Memorial Bridge for me although it was well after the start of the evening curfew. By the way, I believe there is another four feet at the center of Memorial and Main St. This is above what's showing on the board.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:34   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I have found that the bridge tenders in Daytona, especially the women, are the most pleasant and helpful on the ICW. One even opened Memorial Bridge for me although it was well after the start of the evening curfew. By the way, I believe there is another four feet at the center of Memorial and Main St. This is above what's showing on the board.
maybe that explains it but I'm of a nervous disposition and always believe the signs! What with heights above and depths below and narrow channels the open sea seems much more friendly, once you get out of the inlet safely

Tags
icw, mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: