Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 07:39   #16

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: 50' Herreshoff Ketch 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
The reason we are fixated on builder is because it could have been built by Joe Alcoholic that has never seen FRP before and is riding on the archetic's reputation.

Would be like buying a Bentley made by a street sweeper.
Yes, but if Joe did a first class job he did a first class job and thats what matters, and that is generally very obvious and backed up by a good survey. My point is i often get to work on boats where Joe boat owner has let his gaurd down and bought a boat based on listening marina(or forum) scuttlebut about how good the brand is only to find hes bought a piece of crap.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:21   #17

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Looks gorgeous. Have no other insight.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:30   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The boat "looks" nice Robert. When ever I hire a surveyor, I give them a short interview to see if my "BS detector" goes off. I usually talk to 3. I have been put off by a few. Regardless, with the way the market is these days, you should be able to offer less. Maybe in the tune of 15%. But it also depends on how long it has been on the market and how attached the current owner is to it. Good luck, it is pretty.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 12:21   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Very nice. Low on ballast. Perfect if you cruise inshore and use shallow anchorages!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:12   #20

Boat: 1987 C&C 35 MK3

Thanks for the comments everybody. Greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at her next week. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Best,

Robert
robertwcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 21:39   #21

RWC,
Here are just a few questions as to the design of the vessel. There are many questions regurading how the vessel was built, and the present condition.

When desining, and or building I keep these words in my ear..."People die at sea."

All vessels are designed for a specific use. One of many things required of a vessel designed for world Cruising. The vessel will be required to sail long distances at sea. To ease physical, and mental stress…the vessel would need a full, or semi full keel, and a short rig.

There are several point to consider in the 12 point question.
1.) Use of the vessel. Area of the world.
2) How many people, and what are their ages, and sex?
3) How many people will be required to operate, and maintain the vessel.
4)Yearly allotment to maintain vessel.
5) Ports that will be suitable for a given draft.
6) Range under power.
7) Ports, Marina’s, and shipyards able to haul out vessel in area of operation.
8) Documentation. What type documentation will vessel qualify within.
9) Provisions. Water, food. How long will the vessel be at sea.
10) Fire, and safety equipment.
11) Abandon ship equipment.
12) Navigational , radio, and emergency contact equipment
Each of the above 12 questions require a complete finding in detail. The above 12 points, are really just one question. There are many more.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 12:40   #22

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I am a boatbuilder and repair boats daily, ive seen absolute crap from big name builders and top quality work from some guy in his backyard, what maters is build quality and yes, unless you have actually built boats from scratch and have real knowlege of all the aspects, hire a good surveyor but again finding a good one is as hard as finding a good boat, lots of surveyor have no real build experience at all but they have the credentials to impress.
Steve.
very true.

some surveyors are absolutely incompetent, and can have conflicts of interest where they will give a boat a good survey when they shouldn't (take the view that the buyer will never find out). maybe they know the seller or a previous owner.

as for builders or famous boatyards, every case is different. i have personal experience of a very reputable boatyard that painted a deck and didn't lift a rope locker to paint underneath. or take off an anchor plate when painting a hull.

if they think they can get away with it, then sometimes they will.

now i do my homework, and if i don't do it all myself i make sure i am keeping an eye on the "pros" when they do anything for me.
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:52   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

While true that there might be a poor surveyor among many, it is about as common as any other profession. The same or more could be said for the back yard boat builder/repair person. I've seen these guys fiberglass in less than perfect conditions. All things being equal, you stand a better chance at finding problems with a boat using a competent surveyor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 15:51   #24

Hello, I came across this post which I found very interesting as I own one of these yachts. It was also built by David Cheng in 1980. The original owner owned an earlier yacht which was the same model but built in 1978 (I think). He sold this boat but couldn't find another yacht that he liked, so had another one built with a few minor changes. I have now onwned my yacht "Harmony" for more than ten years. Our home port is Noumea, New Caledonia. If the person who started this thread is still in need of information, please feel free to contact me. Harmony was surveyed at the request of my insurers last year and the surveyor was very impressed by the quality of the boat. David Cheng enjoyed an excellent reputation as far as I know. I have actually spoken to him once and he was charming and very helpful. For your information, I have sailed Harmony across the Pacific. She might not be perfect, but then what boat is? I have found her very comfortable and solid. She is also a lovely boat to look at.
Harmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 16:24   #25

I saw your post last week. I own a 50' Herreshoff Ketch and it is for sale in Long Beach, CA. My husband I purchased it in 1993. It is a wonderful boat and I can attempt to answer any questions about you have. My husband recently passed away and it breaks my heart that I have to sell the boat.
katrina47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 16:57   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Halsey, L. Francis and Nathaniel all designed boats. Not all were equally as good.

I sailed on a Nathaniel Herreshoff S-Boat and a L. Francis Herreshoff Marco Polo. The two designs couldn't be more different.

The ad doesn't mention what yard built the boat either. It does mention a lot of goodies and some good equipment that go with the boat.

kind regards,
Old 06-07-2012, 17:04   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I replied after reading only the first page. Sorry. It appears that what I was saying was already covered.

Sorry about your late husband and good luck on the sale of your boat.

kind regards,
Old 01-08-2012, 16:10   #28

Boat: A cloud in the sky

Katrina47 - Sorry to hear of your loss. I sent you an email.

Chris
Ron Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:28   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

beautiful boat. i would sail her
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 17:12   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I havent sailed this one but we delieverd one in the early 90s From SF to I think San Diego. been a long time !! but we had some weather on the way down and she sailed like dream !! If I had the Money Id buy this one in a quick flash !! but thats just me !!