Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 09:34   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 50-55 footers with 2cabin aft galley setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14by12 View Post
I think that is a really valid question.

For me and the missus we really appreciate the extra space an aft galley (like the layout of Dartanyon posted) because it gives a separate space for the cooking and associated activitites while leaving a space completely free from for entertaining and living.

It just seems like a perfect setup (at least for us as a couple) and use of space on a bigger boat since we rarely sleep more than 2 people onboard. The extra cabin space is mostly wasted except for the rare occasion when we have family over, and even then and extra cabin that sleeps two is plenty.

I hope this answered, why at least me and my so, feel like this is the perfect layout for a couple (with no friends )
Hi.
Thanks for answering my question. But, I am still not clearly understanding why you want the galley in the back of the boat.

Perhaps our differences in how we see this is a matter of experience on cruising boats or passage making or simply differences of opinion. Based on my own experience of a few thousand miles of open ocean sailing, and some cooking while cruising, I would not want a galley located aft or along the side of a big open saloon (as is seen in some charter oriented large production boats).

As others have explained, the middle of the boat is the most stable (less pitching) when a boat is sailing or on passage. When the galley is located at this most stable location, it makes life/work much easier and safer for the cook. Cooking is a somewhat challenging and possibly risky activity (possibility of burns from hot liquids and pots or pans) when a boat is in a seaway or big seas, as the boat may be heeled 15 - 20 degrees and pitching up and down.

Also, most boats that are sailing do so with the companionway hatch open (in good weather) in order to allow crew to go below, or for good communication between the on-deck watch crew and those below. It also is important for good ventilation. Having the galley near that hatch allows lots of fresh air to flow by the galley, and that helps keep the heat lower for the cook, and blows the cooking odors out.

And, I think cooking good food is a very important part of cruising. It is one of the joys or simple pleasures a crew can have. It is important for morale. And, having a good cook aboard can make the difference in how a crew feels and how the voyage is remembered.

A good cook may spend an hour preparing and making the meals, each meal, and then cleaning up (washing dishes) so about 3 hours or more each day spent in the galley. IF I were a couple, I would want to make sure the cook had a nice, safe, comfortable, well ventilated, place to cook. I would NOT want them confined to a dark, stuffy, poorly ventilated, and pitching area of the boat. So, I think the "midships" galley location is preferable, for any size boat and crew.

And this is reflected in most boat designs. In fact, one of the most commonly stated preferences is for a boat to have a galley located so that the cook can be part of the socializing in the saloon area.

That's how I see it. Opinions will differ, so of course you may see it differently.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:27   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

The layout was extremely important to me when purchasing my, I wanted two cabins and the galley had to be one that was as workable as possible while underway.
My boat is abit smaller than the op is asking about but it fits my criteria almost perfectly. I have found some galleys on boats all most unusable in any sort of seaway. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171029-212205.png
Views:	228
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	158527
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 15:58   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Bad idea... think about cooking a meal during a sizeable quartering sea... BARFF!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 16:35   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome to CF 14x12
In weighing up the pros and cons of where you would like the Galley, also consider that the traditional midship location also offered the greatest deep storage location for food supplies and refrigeration.

At the 55 ft size, options for a nice sized pilothouse can add a lot more versatility to the layout offering you a variety of privacy areas.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 16:36   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
There's a video by pelagic expedition or Novak expedition. He has an aft galley talks about the design and benifits. You might like it.
That is driven mostly by the swing keel and the need for efficient heat.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 16:15   #21

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14by12 View Post
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone here knows any other boats except for the Jeanneau 54 that has the 2 cabin and aft galley setup?

It really is a perfect setup for cruising as a couple and exactly what me and the wife are looking for.

I am having a hard time searching for boats with this layout though, so any and all tips are greatly appreciated!

Best
-14by12
Beneteau Oceanis 50 comes in a two cabin, aft galley configuration.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 16:33   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Beneteau Oceanis 50 comes in a two cabin, aft galley configuration.
That’s the one built from 1995 to 2004, not the later one, but the 2 cabin layout is extremely rarely on the market.

Beneteau also had the 523 (2001 to 2007 or 2008?) with an aft galley as you want but again you have to be extremely lucky to find one. I only ever saw one for sale, it had 4 cabins total, one in the back and 3 in front. Here are some 523 layouts:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CA6AF01-BB8D-48E1-BCB8-04B092050200.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	158583  
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 16:41   #23

Note that most center cockpit layouts have their galley in the passage from the saloon to the back cabin and therefore out of, and separate from the saloon as you seem to like. Center cockpits are easy enough to find.

For example the Beneteaus 40CC, 42CC, 44CC, and 57

(Personally I like the L-shaped galleys at the companionway best because the person working in it is still part of the social happenings of the saloon, it increases the overal visual space of the saloon and makes it feel bigger, and there’s usually better access to the cockpit to pass things up and and down for al fresco dining.)
Old 01-11-2017, 21:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
That’s the one built from 1995 to 2004, not the later one, but the 2 cabin layout is extremely rarely on the market.

Beneteau also had the 523 (2001 to 2007 or 2008?) with an aft galley as you want but again you have to be extremely lucky to find one. I only ever saw one for sale, it had 4 cabins total, one in the back and 3 in front. Here are some 523 layouts:
The one I am referring to is the Oceanis 50 - 'superseded' in 2013 by the Oceanis 48. Yes, the 2C version is quite rare (and quite lovely), but I see them come up from time to time. Here are a couple of them now:

Beneteau Oceanis 50 for sale - YachtWorld UK

As a note, we were going for the two cabin version - ended up with three due to an offer too good to refuse (cancelled order). I still love the two-cabin versions, but frankly, the extra storage offered by that 'spare' cabin is a real plus for us.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
The one I am referring to is the Oceanis 50 - 'superseded' in 2013 by the Oceanis 48. Yes, the 2C version is quite rare (and quite lovely), but I see them come up from time to time. Here are a couple of them now:

Beneteau Oceanis 50 for sale - YachtWorld UK

As a note, we were going for the two cabin version - ended up with three due to an offer too good to refuse (cancelled order). I still love the two-cabin versions, but frankly, the extra storage offered by that 'spare' cabin is a real plus for us.
Got the same boat, but it doesn’t have the galley recessed all the way in the back, i.e. replacing a back cabin, if my understanding of what the OP wants is correct.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29   #26

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Our Bruckmann 50 has two cabins and the galley is sort of aft. It has a pilothouse which we love that takes up most of the aft region.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 16:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
Got the same boat, but it doesn’t have the galley recessed all the way in the back, i.e. replacing a back cabin, if my understanding of what the OP wants is correct.
I took it he meant aft, rather than linear mid-ships.
So you have the 2C version of our OC50 (ours is the G5 with the arch).
Nice boat, and great aft cabin!
The other plus of that galley is the centre-line (or close to) located galley sink in regards to draining when heeled (or worse - flooding back).
A modern classic.
Thanks,
David
Old 05-11-2017, 16:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi.
Thanks for answering my question. But, I am still not clearly understanding why you want the galley in the back of the boat.

Perhaps our differences in how we see this is a matter of experience on cruising boats or passage making or simply differences of opinion. Based on my own experience of a few thousand miles of open ocean sailing, and some cooking while cruising, I would not want a galley located aft or along the side of a big open saloon (as is seen in some charter oriented large production boats).

As others have explained, the middle of the boat is the most stable (less pitching) when a boat is sailing or on passage. When the galley is located at this most stable location, it makes life/work much easier and safer for the cook. Cooking is a somewhat challenging and possibly risky activity (possibility of burns from hot liquids and pots or pans) when a boat is in a seaway or big seas, as the boat may be heeled 15 - 20 degrees and pitching up and down.

Also, most boats that are sailing do so with the companionway hatch open (in good weather) in order to allow crew to go below, or for good communication between the on-deck watch crew and those below. It also is important for good ventilation. Having the galley near that hatch allows lots of fresh air to flow by the galley, and that helps keep the heat lower for the cook, and blows the cooking odors out.

And, I think cooking good food is a very important part of cruising. It is one of the joys or simple pleasures a crew can have. It is important for morale. And, having a good cook aboard can make the difference in how a crew feels and how the voyage is remembered.

A good cook may spend an hour preparing and making the meals, each meal, and then cleaning up (washing dishes) so about 3 hours or more each day spent in the galley. IF I were a couple, I would want to make sure the cook had a nice, safe, comfortable, well ventilated, place to cook. I would NOT want them confined to a dark, stuffy, poorly ventilated, and pitching area of the boat. So, I think the "midships" galley location is preferable, for any size boat and crew.

And this is reflected in most boat designs. In fact, one of the most commonly stated preferences is for a boat to have a galley located so that the cook can be part of the socializing in the saloon area.

That's how I see it. Opinions will differ, so of course you may see it differently.
Can't argue with any of that, plus the galley sink drains/does not flood back) when located more on the centreline, that out on the turn of the bilge.
Old 23-11-2017, 10:36   #29

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

If you look most of the aft galley boats also have separated bow crew quarters, these are often boats with paid cooks aboard...........just saying.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, galley