Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 11:10   #1

46 Amel Santorin Ketch

Wife and I have been discussing the idea / possibility of a sailboat, and really like the specs and reviews on the 46 Amel Santorin Ketch.

I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with this model, or someone who might have considered it and picked something different and why

From a "novice eye" it appears to be a decent bluewater capable sailboat, and can be sailed by a couple without too much trouble

I started with the Amel Super Maramu, but seems more of a handful for a couple, and getting outside of my price range, with the Santorin being a little smaller but having a similar layout

What originally drew me to the Amel is the protected center cockpit layout, so I'm not opposed to others with similar design, I just haven't found any quiet like the Amel

Any info would be greatly appreciated
TXRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:23   #2

Re: 46 Amel Santorin Ketch

Obv. read: Amel Santorin 46 - Yachting Monthly review

they are a relatively unique type of yacht, and if your like their somewhat unique features then you will not find the same combination elsewhere. Build quality is said to be very good.

A french friend described them as an old mans yacht ... safe, secure, solid, and with a very definite feel that there is a right way to do things. By and large Amel's right way is pretty well though out, but not very exciting. I like them, and I am not yet an old man, but what I want is not everyone's cup of tea.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:40   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

The Santorin is indeed very much the same a Super Maramu, just a bit smaller.
If by "old man's boat", they mean solid, safe, easy to sail, then that's it.
Our Super Maramu is the best boat I have ever owned and I came from IOR racers which I loved.
Amel boats are strongly constructed, all bulkheads glassed into the hull while still in the mould, deck/cabin top glassed to the hull and bulkheads...making a true monocoque.
Two of us sail our boat Elyse everywhere, we regularly do +1000 mile ocean crossings in the Pacific. I have sailed the boat solo on 300-500 mile passages without any problems.
Almost everything you need to do for sail handling can be done from the cockpit which makes for security and safety.
These boats were design ed specifically for couple sailing around the world.
You won't find a better thought out and executed boat for that purpose.
If you intend to buy one you will need a surveyor that is familiar with the Amel way as some things on these boats are completely unfamiliar to those that don't know them.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Our Super Maramu is the best boat I have ever owned and I came from IOR racers which I loved.
Amel boats are strongly constructed, all bulkheads glassed into the hull while still in the mould, deck/cabin top glassed to the hull and bulkheads...making a true monocoque.
Two of us sail our boat Elyse everywhere, we regularly do +1000 mile ocean crossings in the Pacific. I have sailed the boat solo on 300-500 mile passages without any problems.
Almost everything you need to do for sail handling can be done from the cockpit which makes for security and safety.
If you intend to buy one you will need a surveyor that is familiar with the Amel way as some things on these boats are completely unfamiliar to those that don't know them.
Thank you for the information, what you say seems to be what I have found thru the research I've been doing, and can't find another rig as well laid out for cruising and as bluewater capable

Every other boat I've looked at, regardless, I always see "something" I would change about it if I could, but the Super Maramu and Santorin, are the only ones I find that I can't see anything I would like any different, and the Santorin seems as close to the Maramu as I can get within my budget.

Wife and I are new to the sailing scene, however my dad owned some smaller sailboats and I have literally grown up boats before I could walk, and have owned boats since I was 14, and over the past couple of years have been REALLY getting interested in a comfortable safe bluewater boat that would allow wife, and I and at times some guest, to sail to just about anywhere our hearts desire.

Every time I start a search I always find myself right back at the Super Maramu, and then the price leads me to the Santorin
Old 25-06-2018, 07:02   #5

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I've been on a couple of them (one sloop / one ketch) and quite liked them although as a former Super Maramu owner I'm admittedly biased.....

I think it would be a great choice for a couple that likes everything about the SM except for the price. We had a family of 4 on our SM and loved it.

Whenever I was aboard a Santorin, it was a really odd feeling as everything had the same styling and design features that our SM had, but was just enough different (smaller, slightly different place, etc.) to be slight slight disorientating. Not bad, just different.

My wife and I have discussed that a Santorin might be a good choice for our next boat when we go out again with just the two of us (or 3 with our adult son with special needs). As you've identified it has the main features that make the SM desirable, but is priced significantly lower.

The main differences I noted were:
- No sea-berth in the walkthrough to the aft cabin.
- The aft cabin is slightly narrower, but the berths still seemed fine (I don't know if the option of having a desk on the stbd side was available on the Santorin or not?)
- The engine room is much smaller and I know that one of the Santorins didn't have a generator (they had the shaft alternator option mounted on the U-drive). I can't remember if the other one had one or not. While it's smaller, it still seemed to have reasonable access to all systems and is still way better than 90% of the cruising boats out there. With the shaft alternator, an arch and a reasonable amount of solar panels on the arch (and possibly flexible panels on the bimini on the aft part of the cockpit), not having the generator would be a workable option for me.
- The cockpit is narrower than the SM and seemed to be slightly shorter. I can't remember if there's still the massive storage under the port side seat, but I'm assuming there would be. Our impression is that the cockpit would still be fine for 2-3 people.
- The main cabin layout doesn't have the U-shaped galley and table of the SM. Instead it has an L-shaped galley and table with extra seating on the stbd side of the cabin. Losing the aft seating on the table loses the underseat freezer and losing the counter and cabinets on the forward side of the galley means significantly less counter space and undercabinet storage (as well as the washing machine.....). For 2-3 people on a regular basis the table probably works better than the really deep U-table on the SM, but the loss of counter space (and storage) is probably what I would miss the most on the Santorin. Both my wife and I LOVED the galley on the SM and this might be the biggest barrier to us moving to a Santorin.
- I didn't take a close look at the lazarette or forward storage to compare.

Lastly, I loved the ketch rig on the SM and would probably look for a ketch rigged version of the Santorin simply for the range of sail options and balancing the boat out.

Just my thoughts. Have fun in your search.

Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 12:04   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Delos is a very popular YouTube channel and their boat is the Amel SM 53' Ketch. You may or may not have heard of them or watched but here is a link to their boat tour.

This may or may not help in the comparison between the two Amels but does help with the SM layout and the overall thought process going into the build and build quality.
Old 25-06-2018, 12:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Delos is a very popular YouTube channel and their boat is the Amel SM 53' Ketch. You may or may not have heard of them or watched but here is a link to their boat tour.

This may or may not help in the comparison between the two Amels but does help with the SM layout and the overall thought process going into the build and build quality.
Have seen every one of their videos

They have definitely put their SM through the paces.

I'm curious as to what their Delos 2.0 will be. Based on their Patreon page at $15,150 per video X 4 videos a month, it should be a thing for sure.
Old 25-06-2018, 12:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Are there any particular years that were better than others? It seems the market is thin and difficult to find them for sale.

Also, is there any other models that you know of that follow this design or similar?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.WzFIgctOkwA
Old 25-06-2018, 20:18   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRelentless View Post
I'm curious as to what their Delos 2.0 will be. Based on their Patreon page at $15,150 per video X 4 videos a month, it should be a thing for sure.
I think if they were smart they would work a deal with Amel and get a new one right off the line!

Well heck, that is what I would do anyway!
Old 25-06-2018, 20:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I think if they were smart they would work a deal with Amel and get a new one right off the line!

Well heck, that is what I would do anyway!
I'm wondering if that's not what they are doing, especially since they took the time to go visit the factory.

I read where they passed up a deal with either Discovery Channel or NatGeo

I figured they were over there planning out their new Amel and then while it's being built bring their current rig to the Caribbean, dock it and head to Alaska, when they get back the new Amel will be done and their old one sitting in a perfect location to sell it maybe?

Pretty amazing story on how he got started, how far the quality in their videos have come, and lucked out on YouTube and Patreon to eventually support their sailing life and do very well at it.

I've seen other YouTube sailers but they are doing much better than the others.

In fact that aside from Delos, which I can see how they are doing what they do, I've wondered about the others and how they are making it, can a couple REALLY live off their boat like that, with maintenance, insurance and necessities for under say $1,500 a month?
Old 26-06-2018, 15:42   #11

Boat: Amel Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRelentless View Post
Wife and I have been discussing the idea / possibility of a sailboat, and really like the specs and reviews on the 46 Amel Santorin Ketch.

I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience with this model, or someone who might have considered it and picked something different and why

From a "novice eye" it appears to be a decent bluewater capable sailboat, and can be sailed by a couple without too much trouble

I started with the Amel Super Maramu, but seems more of a handful for a couple, and getting outside of my price range, with the Santorin being a little smaller but having a similar layout

What originally drew me to the Amel is the protected center cockpit layout, so I'm not opposed to others with similar design, I just haven't found any quiet like the Amel

Any info would be greatly appreciated

By way of follow up to the original post , have you looked at the Amel Maramu series - I believe built around 1979-1989 and a pre-cursor to the Super Maramu in the 46-48 ‘ range .

As these were built in greater numbers then the Sanatorin maybe more choice out there in the market.

Good luck with your search
allezaubon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 17:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allezaubon View Post
By way of follow up to the original post , have you looked at the Amel Maramu series - I believe built around 1979-1989 and a pre-cursor to the Super Maramu in the 46-48 ‘ range .

As these were built in greater numbers then the Sanatorin maybe more choice out there in the market.

Good luck with your search
Thanks for the info, I feel like I looked at them, but I'll have to double check.

I was even looking at a 42 Westsail Ketch

I probably should have titled the thread " Need Help Picking My Next Boat"

However, as mentioned, I'm not opposed to non-Amel, I just really like the design on them, but a couple of the things that I'm looking for, and of course there is always compromises

Ketch rigged

Transom / stern steps

Passage to aft cabin without crossing cockpit (the Amel Mango for instance you have to cross the cockpit)

Seaworthy and strong (obviously), or rather I'm not too worried about a super fast rig if seaworthyness is compromised or better in a slightly slower rig. For example, I've seen some guys in 6 to 8 footers white knuckling it, where the Amel they are enjoying the ride in less than perfect conditions lol

Something that can be sailed single or couple, wife and I

Center cockpit for safety and more protection from the elements.

Budget, anywhere from $free to $nothing lol, actually under $150k

Pretty much the same as what seems that most area looking for I guess? Although I don't mind teak or wood interior, I'm more focused on safety and general comfort for 2 people, maybe 4 for short periods of time.

Relatively new to the idea of sailboat ownership, only recently started looking a couple of years ago, but boating, navigation, and the likes, I've been around boats literally before I could walk, my dad loved sailing, but I was too young to remember or be of any help, he passed away a few years ago, sure wish he was around to help pick one out though.

I'm fairly handy at doing most of the work myself, any repairs, upgrades, etc, I don't mind getting my hands on it, in fact I like to know my rig inside and out, but after 30 years of working on boats, I don't want a major project boat again, no busted bulkheads, stringers, anything like that, but what I would consider minor or typical items is ok

By typical or minor repairs, for example, my latest is project i completed is my 28 ft offshore rig that I bought cheap, gutted everything, and a few years later and many hours of work, along with new engines, 400 ft of wiring, HD radar, latest electronics, and every other type of electronics I can fit on there, pumps, thru-hulls, windlass, fiberglass work, etc... the list goes on longer than my checkbook and time spent cares to remember, I have everything in top shape, those kind of repairs, the types which I would call minor or typical DIY would be ok if price is right.

The idea, or dream, would be to stay local a few years, do whatever is needed to get any critical items in top shape (although boat work never ends), sail local (Texas coast), then start venturing further down the coast towards Florida, Caribbean, and further if desired.

Of course by then I'll be making $15k per video and won't have to worry about money, so I can keep going, stopping at Ascension island as I make my way towards Madagascar, lol, hey, all but the $15k per video sounds good though
Old 26-06-2018, 21:32   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi TX, indeed the Amels could be described: "to be loved or hated" boats. Amel owners are somewhat (and some are completely) fanatical about their boats, hehehe, and there are many good reasons to like them, and some reasons to despise them.
By all means, the world of sailing is bigger than Amel.

I have attached below a photo (borrowed of the net) of a 46 ft Santorin in a sloop version, but the Marumu of the same size could be had for a lot less money.
I will also attach a table with the Amel models so you can see how many there were built (cannot vouch for 100% accuracy) and when they were built.

Oh, when you mentioned "the Amel Mango for instance you have to cross the cockpit", that applies for the Meltem model, not Mango. See last photo, you may have to enlarge the photo to see the hatch for aft cabin access. sorry can't get the photo the right way up

When I was looking for boats myself there was also a thread here on CF explaining the various models of Amel and their differences. Sorry can't find it right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amel models.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	172538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00069.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	172539  

Attached Images

Old 27-06-2018, 08:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi TX, indeed the Amels could be described: "to be loved or hated" boats. Amel owners are somewhat (and some are completely) fanatical about their boats, hehehe, and there are many good reasons to like them, and some reasons to despise them.
By all means, the world of sailing is bigger than Amel.

I have attached below a photo (borrowed of the net) of a 46 ft Santorin in a sloop version, but the Marumu of the same size could be had for a lot less money.
I will also attach a table with the Amel models so you can see how many there were built (cannot vouch for 100% accuracy) and when they were built.

Oh, when you mentioned "the Amel Mango for instance you have to cross the cockpit", that applies for the Meltem model, not Mango. See last photo, you may have to enlarge the photo to see the hatch for aft cabin access. sorry can't get the photo the right way up

When I was looking for boats myself there was also a thread here on CF explaining the various models of Amel and their differences. Sorry can't find it right now.
Thank you for the information! I'll go see if I can find that thread, sounds interesting.

Correct on the Mango! I was in a meeting while typing the post lol

Going back, it was the lack of transom steps on the Mango
Old 26-09-2019, 06:04   #15

Hi, did you end up buying a boat? I'm currently looking at a Amel Santorin 46. just wondering if you've done any NM and happy with it?

cheers
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch