Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:38   #1

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
45-55 ft Sailboats Skeg Hung Rudders !

Been looking and have not found any models that do not have spade rudders?

Seems to be a very limited selection and ideas?
cheers
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49   #2

Re: 45-55 ft Sailboats Skeg hung rudders!

you mean new? should be some used..... Passport 47+, Valiant 47, many Taiwan built boats, Hylas (Partial skeg), Hans Christian 48... etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07   #3

Shannon -

Saiboats, Motorsailers, Pilot Sailboats, Shoalsailers built by Shannon

You can have new or used. The 52 RDP they showed at the last boat show">Annapolis Boat show is a great new design.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08   #4

If you are looking at a new boat, have a look at these :

Rustler Yachts

Bowman Yachts

It's the same company under different brand names. Really gorgeous semi-custom yachts. Not huge volumes of information on the website about the bigger Rustlers or Bowmans, you would to contact them - bear in mind that since the yachts are built to order, a detailed website isn't really their modus operandi. For example, the 44' is the result of someone coming along and asking for a bigger version of their 42' with a raised coachroof. It's that sort of company! Be prepared to pay a premium compared to a Bene, Jean or Bav though, these are proper bluewater yachts. As you have probably guessed, I'm a fan!
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:38   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In my view the view that Skegs rudders are stronger then spades has never been tested. Modern partial Skegs often seem to me to be held on by the rudder and not the other way around.

Dave
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51   #6

Definitely used boat. My 1982 Dufour 35 has a full skeg. The rudder is only superficially attached at the bottom. Hoping to find something similar. The Ben's and jeau's and Dufour's all seem to have spade rudders.

Will check the suggestions though.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:03   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Island Packets

But while I understand the "want" I don't find it worth chasing. My keel is going to hit something way before my rudder does! I prefer the better handling of the spade rudder instead. Choosing a boat based on a rudder seems, well ........

Bet if it was that important to you a good yard could modify a boat to it
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04   #8

Better not get in to the skeg vs spade argument Dave/Don, could go on for weeks...

Skegs do have to be properly built though, they are necessarily in an awkward part of the mould and if not fully wetted out that's a big hole in the bottom of the boat if it fails... That said the shaft of a spade produces a pretty large hole too - see here: http://www.sail.ie/megawat/MAIB_Megawat.pdf
If routinely taking a spade ruddered yacht across oceans, I would be tempted to construct some watertight bulkheads round the rudder gear in case it fails. Frankly, all ocean-going yacht bulkheads should be watertight, but few are. I suppose most people in the back of their minds think they can always get rescued. Self sufficiency really is a virtue in sailing... I'll stop now, I'm off topic!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32   #9

^ Yip I am spoiled with my old defour the ruder stock enters the hull above the water line
due to the rear shear of the hull. So some comfort here. I have rolled logs (frigging big trees that have been logged) on occasion and the skeg has done its job :-)

What I want and what I can get is always going to be a compromise.

Just read the Megawat report; SObering news. So the position and attachment of a autopilot trim rudder caused the failure? So did the rudder and broken stock just fall out or did it tear the hull? Guess we will not know. Good that their buddies managed to pick them up so quickly.

When I read about these incidents makes me think of lawn bowling for a pastime!!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Definitely used boat. My 1982 Dufour 35 has a full skeg.
If you're looking at used boats, the world's your oyster. Skegs were the norm until a couple of decades ago.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18   #11

Euroa flyer:
There is used and used! I have seen few, other than the heavy, full keel type. Seems that the skeg went out of fashion or was not deemed necessary for the charter fleets needs.Still looking, rudders are one concern many other factors. However having a rudder that can take a bump bump without sinking the boat is important factor. Search goes on, but no rush.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34   #12

"Used and used"... we might have to get more specific here! What sort of age are you looking at? If you're looking at production boats from the last couple of decades, you're going to be disappointed. To the best of my knowledge, the only 'newer used' boats with skegs are boats which were originally pricier semi-custom bluewater types. Charter companies have produced a strong market force towards cheaper, roomier coastal or light offshore cruisers, and skeg rudders are not part of that requirement, and haven't been for a long time.

By the sound of things, you're looking for a boat which is 'used' (i.e. nicely depreciated) but not ancient! If you gave me a few more specifics, I might be able to come up with something...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38   #13
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

My Compass 47 has a beefy skeg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4749.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	43206  
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 20:39   #14

cpa Now that is what I was think about.

Euroflyer: I am bound for Thai waters. Mrs has this idea of her cooking and me sailing our Dufour for profit. I think that is nuts and the boat is too small for that. So I was thinking why not sell the Dufour in Aus or New zealand and then instead of a hous in Thailand get a much larger boat, Sttes Greece etc and then charter for 6 months and then do our own thing the other.

So looking, as you guessed for one of the ex charter fleet or what is out there. If it is not a go she can have her land based fancy restaurant and I will be happy in the waters around Krabbi and Phuket!
Old 09-07-2012, 20:50   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If you're looking at an older, sea kindly vessel in the 48-52 foot range, try and locate a Transpac 49. A really tough boat on which we put several thousand miles cruising the west coast from BC to Mexico Not the fastest girl in the brothel but roomy, stable and heaps of fun to sail. Massive rudder attached to skeg, good protect for prop, long waterline but not too fine an entry. Lived aboard and cruised for over 5 years... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote