Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 22:25   #1

Question 45-50 ft. Bluewater with a bright interior?

I am not at all settled on what type of boat I prefer for my family of 4 if we decided to live aboard, but one thing that has been frustrating, is finding a good blue water boat that is attractive and bright inside. Like many other looking to move onto a boat (and convince their hesitant wife), I love the look and feel of the newer Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. I think something like a 490 would be great from a size and style perspective. That being said, I could see us wanting to visit the Mediterranean or South pacific at some point in our future, and the 490, although theoretically capable, likely is a bit light and not quite the best design for such journeys.

I have looked at many many boat builders, and it seems like the pattern is, if its a good blue water boat, it has very traditional dark wood. I realize this appeals to some, but its just not for me or my family. I see some builders introducing much more modern designs with more natural light, but they seem to only introduce it in their larger 55+ boats. Builders like Hallberg-Rassy which I think most would consider closer to a blue water boat builder have their new 44, but many of the design changes to the keel and rudder make me think these are much less for water sailing">blue water sailing. I noticed that they left off their STIX number for this model, but list the very impressive 58 STIX on their large 48 MK II. Notably, the 48 MK II has dark wood a non-modern interior.

Can anyone tell me if they know of a good 45-50 foot blue water boat with a brighter more modern interior?

Thanks!
DavidJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 01:07   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: 45-50 ft. Bluewater with a bright interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJH View Post
I am not at all settled on what type of boat I prefer for my family of 4 if we decided to live aboard, but one thing that has been frustrating, is finding a good blue water boat that is attractive and bright inside. Like many other looking to move onto a boat (and convince their hesitant wife), I love the look and feel of the newer Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. I think something like a 490 would be great from a size and style perspective. That being said, I could see us wanting to visit the Mediterranean or South pacific at some point in our future, and the 490, although theoretically capable, likely is a bit light and not quite the best design for such journeys.

I have looked at many many boat builders, and it seems like the pattern is, if its a good blue water boat, it has very traditional dark wood. I realize this appeals to some, but its just not for me or my family. I see some builders introducing much more modern designs with more natural light, but they seem to only introduce it in their larger 55+ boats. Builders like Hallberg-Rassy which I think most would consider closer to a blue water boat builder have their new 44, but many of the design changes to the keel and rudder make me think these are much less for blue water sailing. I noticed that they left off their STIX number for this model, but list the very impressive 58 STIX on their large 48 MK II. Notably, the 48 MK II has dark wood a non-modern interior.

Can anyone tell me if they know of a good 45-50 foot blue water boat with a brighter more modern interior?

Thanks!
Perhaps a pilot house is in your future. But what is your budget again? This article might be helpful about boat statistics if you haven't seen it.
Understand your boat and her statistics
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 03:45   #3
cruiser

Oyster 53 https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...g#.Wy92G4opChA
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 06:26   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

True blue water boats are dark inside for several reasons.

If the teak is too dark paint it white.

With no experience and planning to cruise the seas you might be better off focusing on more important elements of boat and equipment design.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
True blue water boats are dark inside for several reasons.

If the teak is too dark paint it white.

With no experience and planning to cruise the seas you might be better off focusing on more important elements of boat and equipment design.
I am under no mis-conception that equipment is less important and I am sure will study and have many questions about that before setting out, however, right now, I am simply seeing if it would be possible to satisfy the families "requirements' while still getting something that is a good passage-maker years down the road.

I don't understand what you mean that there are many reasons it has to be dark? Its simply the interior and is a matter of initial wood choice when building. What I suspected was that the custom builders just don't spend as much or care as much about contemporary interiors.
Old 24-06-2018, 07:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Beautiful boat, but a bit longer than we're looking for.
Old 24-06-2018, 08:10   #7

Boat: Valiant 40
45-50 ft. Bluewater with a bright interior?

In general the reason most classic “blue water” boats are lacking natural light is that big glazing presents risks offshore. Take a big wave that stoves in a large window, or an errant shackle that shatters it and you have a problem.

Modern materials tech has changed that somewhat but it’s still a theoretical concern.
Old 24-06-2018, 08:16   #8

Boat: Southerly

These are nice:

https://www.distantshores.ca/about-u...tant-shores-3/
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Great! Never heard of this builder, but this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 24-06-2018, 13:26   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Interesting blog on Distant Shores. They have the center board model. Try and look at YouTube video of them on the Bahama Banks. It will make your mouth water. Great boat... I am sure they are million dollar boat.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:15   #11

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

AMEL 50 - New prospects at sea
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 14:16   #12

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Steering position right out in the open...not so good for crossing oceans IMHO
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:32   #13

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat

Yes, the wife has to like it. My wife won't go on my last delivery to bring a Jeaneau back from Hawaii. She knows it wouldn't be dry inside, and it wasn't. She really only likes traveling our boat now which is for sale. www.muchogustosailing.wordpress.com Bright interior, dry inside. It will take you anywhere.
ewitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:57   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

Check out RM yachts, great looking interiors.
RM1370 - RM Yachts
I know what you mean about dark interiors. I surveyed a Bavaria 42 the other day and it was like a cave inside. Its an easy fix really, just paint the dark timber with white paint.
Our yacht has no timber work inside, just white paint and black trim.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 16:17   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Take a look at the Hans Christian 4750 Explorer. Chuck Paine designed hull, with essentially the floor plan of a Hylas 49, but is a deck saloon cruiser, so it is well lit throughout, with a light teak interior.

Only four were built and I recently saw Hull #2 for sale on Yachtworld. She was originally commissioned in 1999-2000. Nigel Calder designed systens.

Good luck
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, interior, water