Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:17   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
43' Serendipity

We are once again looking for another boat nearing completion of our Ingrid 38 that we will be putting up for sale soon. While we do love the Ingrid, we find that it is a bit small for our family of seven.
I have scanned the websites and Craigslist for a number of boats and found a few that are interesting, and few that I have never heard of.
One of these that I have never heard of is for sale at Napa Valley marina. It is called a "Serendipity". I have never heard of one of these and was wondering if anyone here has knowledge of these. Would it be a reasonable boat for weekending / coastal cruising?
The ad states, "Originally built for the IOR circuit, this Doug Peterson designed racer/cruiser...". Being designed and built for IOR, does this mean that it is lightly built and may not hold up well? Also, what can one expect from the reverse transom in following seas?
Thanks.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25   #2

Family of 7? Thats gonna be tight no matter what you buy.

Here is info about a well traveled Serendipity. WINGSSAIL - Cruising Log of Wings - Serendipity 43 - Fred Roswold & Judy Jensen
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 16:37   #3

It sure is Joli! No doubt about it. But we can adjust for it to a certain point. The cockpit of our Ingrid is about the size of a standard household bathtub - a bit crowded with seven people!
Thanks for the link - I will be looking it over more as I have time and will perhaps try to contact them.
Thanks!

Old 10-11-2009, 16:57   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Understand that these things have deep draft, just a guess 7-8ft,if that works for the type of sailing you do it may be ok,those old IOR boats had a lot of interior volume and maybe lots of pipe berths if its still got the racing layout and probably a real nav station.It will probably go upwind like nothing youve ever sailed and as long as you are not carrying the kite it will be fine downwind too,i believe that the folks in the link joli provided mostly sail with the jib rather than the genoa which makes for a reasonably easy to handle rig.I looked at the comparative PHRF ratings for the Serendipity and your Ingrid and it looks like its over 3 minutes a mile faster,thats a lot.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 17:20   #5

Thanks for this info Clockwork. Hmmmm, 7' - 8' draft. That is something I will have to consider. In our bay, that is no problem - but overall, that is pretty deep draft.
That is quite a bit faster too! Of course, with me sailing, I'm not sure I would even be able to notice the difference! (Either one would be slow... )

Old 10-11-2009, 18:03   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Saw one in Santa Cruz where I was building my boat. They are about as opposite an Ingrid 38 as possible. Thin cored hull. Bolt on racing keel. Flat bottom and so on. If you want to cruise, you might be better off with a Westsail 43/42 or one of those Mayflower 48's
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:11   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
From the link that Joli supplied it looks a lot like my Choate 40 except that it has a fairly flat deck.

I'm thinking it would be a bit dark inside and the head room may be minimal. 7-8' draft is not too bad for the Pacific side but heading north into Canada you would need to watch your charts and tide.

The cockpit is unprotected and with kids and wife that would be a concern! Racers are great for coastal but off-shore one would need to have the stomach for it.

For short cruises and weekends it maybe OK. It certainly would get you there faster then the usual tub. And it probably has a lot of berths but little storage (fuel, water and personal gear)....................._/)
Old 10-11-2009, 18:12   #8

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Clauson,im not sure on that draft,just a guess but im sure its at least 7ft.The 1 Ingrid 38 shown in the PHRF book i have is probably your actual boat as its in the nortwest, it shows a rating of 251,the Serendipities seem to all be around 60,even for those who dont race its an easy way to compare speed to some known boat.BTW,love those old Halvorsons.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:45   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Raced on a Serendipity for a while--nice sailing boat, but interior would need to be built out a bit for cruising. Very little in the way of windows. Wings and Scarlett O'hara have been cruising for a number of years, so you might try to get in touch with them.

See The Serendipity 43 Fleet: April 29, 2009-Update from Scarlett
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:55   #10

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
I race on one of these (Houn Dawg) and can tell you that they can be fast (PHRF 66) and are cavernous below. She has a double and single under the cockpit, two opposing settees with 2 berths above and room in the forepeak for a double (although typically used as a sail locker). That's sleeping for 9... There are a few of them out there cruising, including Scarlett O'Hara from San Diego and Smoke-N-Blues from Sparks, NV. I assume they've had extensive mods for cruising, because we need a crew of at least 6 to sail properly in race trim. They are flush-decked (not very cruise-friendly) but I know of one in San Diego that has a low raised house, so there may be a few variations out there. Here's a photo of Smoke-N-Blues in the Sea of Cortez:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1602.JPG
Views:	779
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	11030  
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote