Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
43 Irwin reviews?

I recently found an Irwin 43 that is cruise ready. It's heavy seems to be a good compromise between a blue water and lite coastal cruiser. Although when I tell other people about it, they say don't buy an Irwin. I ask why and they just say construction issues. Then I talk to a couple Irwin owners and they say they love the boat. They also say they have won many offshore races with the 43. It's big, heavy and comfortable in 5-8 ft seas. I know the cabinetry isn't as beautiful as some. Hidden chain plates are kinda bad but so does island packets. So are there any Irwin owners out there who could shed some suggestions about the 43 ? I really can't see a good reason to totally write the Irwin off.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 43 Irwin reviews?

“... Irwin Yachts recognized the cost considerations of the average boat buyer and, quite frankly, compromised on the quality of fit and finish to offer boats that were carefully priced, well advertised and widely sold to a very broad spectrum of customers...”

General Comment About Irwins ➥ BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Irwin 37

43' Review ➥ » Irwin 43 Mk II: Used Boat Review

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:26   #3

Boat: Pearson 365

Thanks for the article. I was glad to read it. Its amazing how many people talk poo-poo about the Irwin and then when talking to the owners (which I saw another one come through Fort Pierce this week) love their boats and can give examples of being comfortable in 7-10 ft seas. Its crazy how many people are bias and have so many differences in opinions. Almost like asking which anchor is the best. We wont go there.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Irwin can be a bit of a mixed bag. The 52' and 65' got a bad reputation deservedly as they had a lot of issues. However the issues they had have been greatly overblown. I actually know a couple that spend 10 years on their 52' and despite being beached twice by hurricanes the boat only suffered minor damage from the Hurricanes. They did have constant build quality issues.

Our 54' on the other hand (and the bigger 68') came later and we're if anything overbuilt hulls, with very well done interiors. In 15 years I can't think of any construction issues that were even minor annoyances. Engine and generator placement however were terrible. They were just hard to work on.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:07   #5

Boat: B24

Lived aboard a 42 ketch off and on for seven to eight years... very nice handling boat, was the centerboard model and didn't point all that well, but loose the sheets and she was a freight train... glasswork was pretty good, no blistering to speak of which was an issue of many boats of the era... cons: much of the electrical was Wal-Mart quality and had to be replaced, gate valves instead of proper seacocks and some false ceilings made chasing occasional leaks a challenge.... but overall, she was a trustworthy boat and sailed very well within the limits of its intended market (no high latitudes...).

Tags
Irwin, reviews