Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 15:15   #1

41' Seawind Cutter

I have been spending the last month or so browsing the market and doing tons of research on bluewater cruisers for a circumnavigation with a crew of 4 (talked a few friends into coming along if and when I get going.) We are all in our mid twenties so we are willing to give up a little bit of comfort for a boat that points well, and will keep sailing in light wind situations (don't want to be burning tons of gas if we can avoid it.)

I have been looking around for some first hand accounts from anyone who has sailed on a Seawind and have not been having to much luck. Does anyone who has experience with these boats care to pass on their opinion? How well are they built/hold up, how do they sail, any problem areas to look for, ect?
pilot_wpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 15:17   #2

O, also looking at this aluminium Palmer Johnson if I decide to go aluminum.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1704&url=
Old 16-10-2010, 16:00   #3

well ... the alu boat is cheap for a reason ... ex racer by the looks of her ... not much water or fuel tankage, awkward deck setup, no double berths, looks generally uncomfortable. Price probably reflects the fact that it has been thrashed.

Your seawind looks nicer.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 16:12   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day pilot,

Can't help with the Seawind, but the PJ looks like it could be just what you are looking for.
Ann and I cruised for 17 years in an older PJ raceboat (Standfast 36) which shared many features of this one. PJ, of course, is a renowned builder, and if the boat hasn't suffered from poor upkeep, she will be strong as hell. The interior would shock the average new Benehuntavaralina buyer, but should do quite well for 4 hardy youngsters, and will be very useable at sea. Sailing qualities should be just fine... Doug P. hasn't had very many dogs to his credit!

Drawbacks that I see are very small tankage, especially fuel. I know that you've stated that you want to do little motoring, but 20 gallons just ain't enough for offshore use IMO, and 60 gallons of water isn't much for 4 crew and the prospect of long passages.

The new engine is a bonus, too. Its location is similar to that on our boat, and the access is way better than average.

So, if the boat appeals to you, the first thing is getting a surveyor who really knows alloy construction. I'm generally happy with that material, but if electrical errors have occurred in her past, there can be serious hull damage from stray current electrolysis, so take care.

Do let us know how it come out.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Sunday Ck, Hinchinbrook channel, Qld, Oz
Old 16-10-2010, 16:26   #5

If the PJ ends up being the route we take, the tankage problem would probably end up being solved with some extra bladders. And of course, I would never think about laying down that much money unless I was confident that the boat was in good shape. A competent surveyor is a must.
Old 16-10-2010, 17:08   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You have to ask yourself why the Palmer Johnson is asking only $39,000 for a 41 foot yacht. It might be a very good deal, and it might not. At that price, you need an excellent survey. It has been sitting in marinas for a very long time, and I would want to know whether the aluminum hull has been eaten up by electrolysis.

I don't worry too much about creature comforts. I worry alot about structural integrity.

I don't care so much about the purchase price. I do care how much it would cost to make the boat ready for a circumnavigation. Mast, rigging, sails, rudder, condition of engine all add up fast if they need major work. Insuring a boat of that vintage may require an instant expenditure of thousands of dollars if the rigging is more than ten years old.

You might get away using this boat as a coastal cruiser without spending tons of money. But getting it ready for offshore around the world is an entirely different matter. You don't get to choose your weather, and you have to be prepared for the worst offshore.

Everytime I get on board a yacht that is for sale, I take a paper and pencil and calculate the real price of the yacht. The real price for a circumnavigation and the asking price may be vastly different.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, Seawind