Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2015, 12:03   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: 40 foot monohull big enough for 6kw gennie, dive compressor and liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
I would definitely need a bow thruster with a mono that's for sure.
Bow thrusters are nice. I have one on my current boat, a Stevens 47, but you shouldn't need one on a 40 footer. I didn't have one on my Columbia 57 and managed just fine. The Stevens came with the thruster. You just have to know your boat, use its prop walk and stay out of situations that will get you into trouble. The Columbia wouldn't back in a straight line no matter what, for example. Having a thruster on her wouldn't have changed that: I would just have been able to back side ways instead of in a circle.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
BIG Beautiful boats, looks like they're missing a big section of their stern the way they're just "chopped off".
How about a smaller one?

RM 1070
JPK 38FC

Old 01-11-2015, 15:23   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Might want to look at slightly larger boat like a Westsail 42 or Kelly/Peterson 44 mid cockpit boats. Mid cockpit boats usually have good sized engine rooms that can accommodate a generator and other equipment.
Old 01-11-2015, 15:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Might want to look at slightly larger boat like a Westsail 42 or Kelly/Peterson 44 mid cockpit boats. Mid cockpit boats usually have good sized engine rooms that can accommodate a generator and other equipment.
Also perhaps they are shaft drive, so conceivably wouldn't be too hard to install a belt drive gennie or compressor off the shaft with the drive in neutral or magnetic clutch disengaging drive...

Worth thinking about

My budget is on the lower end of the scale. a monohull would enable me to get a 4 year old production boat one previous owner in immaculate condition. that is appealing. Maybe $200k-$250k AUD, boats are expensive in australia...
Old 01-11-2015, 16:34   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsum View Post
You Sir, have Exquisite taste in boats. Although I'm guessing that neither of these would likely fit with the OP's sailing aims, sadly. Especially not on the quoted budget.

Regarding the original question:
Much of what you choose in terms of a boat is defined by your; lifestyle choices, your budget, your sailing skill & how much effort (and or crew) are required to handle your vessel.

To help you put those together a bit better, here are a few links which should help. Albeit, some of them ask "hard" questions. But ones that when honestly answered, will lead you towards the kind of vessel which should make you happy in the long run. And PS: No, I'm not necessarily advocating a custom boat.
http://www.multihulldesigns.com/customprocess.htm
http://www.multihulldesigns.com/pdf/sailing_preferences.htm
http://www.mahina.com/consult/index.html

Also, if you need, I have links to a few more designers, who's initial questions & design process are a bit different than Kurt's. But help to lead you to wise choices, just the same.

John & Amanda Neal's Site Mahina.com is an excellent one, just in terms of having heaps of good info. Let alone in terms of being an aide for choosing a boat.
Especially his comment(s) stating that it's easy to spend as much, or more on re-fitting, as well as fitting out a boat, as you do on the purchase price.

All of that said, there's the obvious equation that boils down to, a heavier displacement mono, with a bigger footprint (LWL, & WL Beam) can carry more gear than most other boats of the same length.
But also, to a degree, how much a boat costs, in the long run, is going to be determined by how much she weighs. As, the heavier the boat, the beefier the gear she needs, the higher the loads on all of her equipment etc.

For example, while the Pardey's touted their boat as being 30' long, but if you added in the bow sprit & boomkin, she was 40'. And she was as wide as many 40'ers, & needed a good bit of her gear, rigging, ground tackle etc. commensurate with what a 40'er would need. As she weighed what an average 40'er weighs (9 tons+/-).
So there are no free lunches.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 17:09   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

should be easy if you start from the fact that sailboats are cramped living.
Lots of organization is required. Several of the larger Morgans should suite you unless speed is a priority. In that case stick to cats.
Old 01-11-2015, 18:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Tell me again why you need a 6kw genny?
Old 01-11-2015, 19:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Tell me again why you need a 6kw genny?
To run dive compressor, watermaker and 1 or 2 air conditioners.

I could limit to 1 air con and a small 12 volt water maker if required, but if I size the generator for the dive compressor, there should be sufficient capacity for other stuff anyway.

Dive compressor, even with a soft start will need about 5kw-6kw min.

Also, I want a low RPM diesel generator, not a 3000rpm screamer.
Old 01-11-2015, 22:20   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Read & ponder on the above links: Deeply. As well as this infobit by Sterling Hayden. If you guys haen't heard of him, & read a bit of his stuff, then go forth & live simply.
Enjoy the Sailing it's why we're on here.

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN’S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… “cruising” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Sterling Hayden

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:15   #25

Thanks uncivilised, I will check it out it looks interesting.

I do want to live a simpler life on the hook somewhere. The more i spend on upkeep the more often I will have to return to port to refill the kitty. Also I would like to scuba and share that experience with others so a compressor is pretty important. 20 minutes per tank is a fare bit of generator running though...

It took a long time to realise that the only time i'm really happy is on a boat, but we all can't just sail into the sunset and things will take care of themselves.

I really only want air con for the main cabin for those stinky hot summer nights when it is imposible to sleep. This happened to me in Thailand one trip and it was really annoying. Since i want to have an endless summer in the tropics, an AC is important but would prefer airflow when it is enough. I don't want to be anywhere where I need a heater, lol.

I'm happy to have basics in other areas, but want reliable engine and main systems.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it helps a 16K BTU Webasto pulls about 1300 W once running, so once you got the dive compressor started I believe you could run many air conditioners and charge batteries, watch TV, make water whatever you wanted. I'd go for cooling/ dehumidifying the whole boat if I had a genny running anyway
I also think compared to the compressor, a generator won't be heard whatever it's RPM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33   #27
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
To run dive compressor, watermaker and 1 or 2 air conditioners.

I could limit to 1 air con and a small 12 volt water maker if required, but if I size the generator for the dive compressor, there should be sufficient capacity for other stuff anyway.

Dive compressor, even with a soft start will need about 5kw-6kw min.

Also, I want a low RPM diesel generator, not a 3000rpm screamer.
Sure it is possible to install all above equipment on a 40ft production boat, but the question is if You will be able to sleep or just sit inside when all these machines, or just gen+aircon are running.

IMHO, the boat should be clever/purpose designed and engineered to carry all above and make it possible to live inside.

There is a chance to find right boat and work out proper installation schemes, but to find right boat at a proper area is still a job No.1 to be done. The rest to do will also come as a jobs Nos. 2+3+....

All above is also said by convinced multihull sailor.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd go out on a limb and say that many thousands of people sleep just fine on a mono hull with the generator and AC running.
Do generators make less noise on Cats?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd go out on a limb and say that many thousands of people sleep just fine on a mono hull with the generator and AC running.
Do generators make less noise on Cats?
We do not have AC installed on our cat and feel perfectly OK with that.
We therefore do not need GS working during night time.
Solar panels are just fine for having almost all routine needs served.

Really prefer to be together with nature rather then being separated from it inside the boat. Fresh air is enough for me during night time.

++

I however did have sailed Beneteau-50 packed with AC and it was terrible inside when both GS and AC running. I felt myself as sitting in an empty drum.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You really have to pay attention on a generator install. I believe vibration to be a greater problem than noise.
OP wants to fill SCUBA tanks and that takes tremendous energy Solar won't work. There are gasoline powered compressors of course, but I believe he is going about it the right way with a big genset, as the genset can bring about lots of other luxuries and solve some other problems, like battery charging / heating water / air conditioning that a gasoline compressor can't

Tags
compressor, hull, liveaboard, monohull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: