Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 20:20   #1

40 Endeavour vs 41 Cheoy Lee

Hello,
I'm new to sailing but I'm looking at a live aboard/cruising adventure. I've looked at several nice boat but I have two that come to the top of my list. One is a 1982 Endeavour 40 that has been upgraded with many toys, solor, radar, nav, etc. The other is a 1980 Cheoy Lee 41 and the owner has had her for 12yrs, decks been removed and refinished and the job looks good also the masts have been replaced in 2005 and painted white also looks to be a good job. Owner has $$ and the work looks to be top notch.

My question, I will need to live on either. I would like to have a boat I can take out of the dock on weekends to get my feet wet and learn to really sail her before departing. I believe the Cheoy will keep me out of trouble if I really screw up but the Endeavour will go nicely on a lighter wind. Both are priced around 90K. Any things to consider would be very helpful. Also should I be concerned about wooden Masts if they are basically new?

Thanks,
Anthony
BoxsterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 22:09   #2

Loaded questions, I would get the Choey Lee. Reputation is alot, and I like their lines too.
Old 07-04-2008, 22:33   #3

Boat: 46 island trader hull #1 1979, WILEY G
my vote is the cheoy lee, mine is from the transworld yard, bullet proof hulls, they just build them thicker there, less goverment control I guess. there is a 41' cheoy lee in north carolina for sale, 66k. I don't like the steel I beam endeavour used in their boats, seen to many rusty problems with them. stay away from wood spars if possible, I like to keep them varnished over expoy, then you can see problems with the wood, paint is hard to see through, so you resort to poking with screwdriver...
island trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
You'll have more room in the Endeavour of course. Easier engine access too. But the E40s have some issues - fuel tank in the bilge is the one to watch for closely. Directly underneath the engine and positioned so that water gets between the tank and the bilge pocket and sits with nowhere to go. Tank replacements are common on this boat. Also the steel I-beam mast step in the bilge should be checked. The rest relates to water leaking around the factory installed plastic ports. On the plus side they are solid, sturdy boats with lots of room for 40ft.

I think the Cheoy Lee would outperform the E40 but am not sure.

It's nice to have choices
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33   #5

Boat: Endeavour E40
I had the same delimma in 2006 when I was shopping......
had the choice of a Cheoy Lee or Endeavour.....

I chose the ENDEAVOUR.
Had inspections done of all suspect items, while this is a 1982 E40, this boat has NO issues with fuel tank as some suggest, OR the mast.
Did have a couple of leaky ports, but changed gaskets, problem solved.

This E40 is a BIG FAT 25,000lb boat, VERY comfortable in heavy seas.
Cheoy Lee may sail a little better, but ENDEAVOUR will keep you outta "trouble".

I like the layout of the ENDEAVOUR with the center cockpit which gives two very private staterooms with complete heads, more "liveable" layout, in my opinion.
Not a fan of wood masts, although they're probably fine.

The Cheoy Lee is "aft cockpit", correct?
I preferred a large aft-cabin compared to the "quarter-berth".....
ENDEAVOUR made in St. Petersburg, CHEOY LEE over "there".
Either boat will bring you tons of fun!...... It's just a matter of personal preference for anybody looking.........both are great boats!
Good Luck!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The single biggest issue with the Cheoy Lee is the decks - and they've been "fixed". We looked at several before settling on the boat we bought. They have a reputation for being very solidly built, and, of course, the workmanship in the interiors is insane.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21   #7

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
8 years ago when I was ready to buy a boat, we narrowed it down to a Cheoy and an Endeavour, both 40'.

I liked the Cheoy. My wife liked the Endeavour....

I don't regret my wife's decision, for several reasons. I'm really happy with the choice she 'helped' me make.

I did recently replace the fuel tank as it was pitted and leaking. Had to get it out thru the port side hull. Seems it was originally set in epoxy.

She stood on both boats, and the Endeavour gave her the 'happy feeling'. So, that's the one we bought...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	3227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 2.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	3228  

Old 08-04-2008, 08:26   #8

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Cheoy Lee have amazing woodwork, though this woodwork will cost you alot of time whenever you have to revarnish topside. My buddy has a 31' and he is always revarnishing something. I much prefer less wood topside. Endeavour make a darn good boat that looks good inside. From what I have heard, they perform well too. Cheoy Lee have a reputation as an excellent bluewater boat, though. Both good boats, wish I could have afforded one.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Can anyone give me an idea about what it costs to replace the fuel and/or water tanks on an Endeavour? The mid 40 range of their CC look interesting but the tank issue has me spooked.

I helped a friend replace the water tank in his 37 and it was a piece of cake.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44   #10

Being an E40 owner, I just wouldn't assume the tank needs replacement........

My ENDEAVOUR has spent most of her life in the Carribbean and the fuel tank is fine.... I had it totally cleaned on the inside and inspected, and as yet have had no issues with it......

I'm not saying I won't have trouble..... but I think anybody buying an ENDEAVOUR (or ANY boat, for that matter) should just do a good inspection and base each boat on it's own merits, don't assume......... some of these boats have already had those issues resolved......

ENDEAVOURS have that "Classic Traditional" sailboat look.....
I'm VERY happy with the decision to buy my ENDEAVOUR, and we've been told she's the most beautiful boat in the Marina.

Every boat I looked at had some sort of issues involved, the key is a good survey and inspection report.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36   #11

My vote is for the Choey Lee - of course I am a little biased. As far as the tradional look is concerned - Cheoy Lee's are on the top of the list. We get comments everywhere we go, sail by's, dinghy by's, you name it.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:33   #12

You should also consider how much money you'll need to spend to get all the "toys" as you will need/want.

My boat had every available toy except for watermaker....which I plan to buy...

Bottom line, compare "apples to apples" when it comes to cruising eqpt...
if one has it and the other doesn't, that money is "outta pocket".
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41   #13

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
cabo sailor,

I just finished replacing the fuel tank and aft water tank on my Endeavour40. While I was in the process I replaced a lot of hoses and wiring, etc. I did a lot of the work myself and looked for bargins on epoxy, foam, etc. my cost including tanks, epoxy, foam, misc. parts (new fittings, valves, hoses, etc.) yard labor, hauling and blocking, etc. totaled a little over $3,000. Not bad at all if you say it fast.

I removed the tank from inside the boat so I didn't cut the side out! You can find a lot more information at the Endevour Owners Forum Endeavour Sailboat Owners Forum Good Luck!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:00   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Thanks Mobetah,

That's what I was looking for. I had visions of it costing 2 to 3 times that. Of course I don't know if I would have the nerve to take a saw to a perfectly good hull.

Oh and invitation that is one sexy looking hull you got there.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:26   #15

I want to thank everyone for the great information. It looks like I'm going to go visit each once more and let my heart decide. Thanks to all.
BoxsterDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, endeavour