Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 18:22   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
3rd party insurance for marinas? AU

My mate wants to get his Explorer 45 into a marina. Marinas all want 3rd party insurance with salvage. It appears most 3rd party polices do NOT cover salvage and require full comp which needs a full survey.

How can my mate get a policy without a survey just to cover 3rd party and salvage so he can get into a marina? I heard something about some international companies? Or if anyone has any creative ways PM me.

This red tape is getting beyond a joke.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 11:47   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Re: 3rd party insurance for marinas? AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
My mate wants to get his Explorer 45 into a marina. Marinas all want 3rd party insurance with salvage. It appears most 3rd party polices do NOT cover salvage and require full comp which needs a full survey.

How can my mate get a policy without a survey just to cover 3rd party and salvage so he can get into a marina? I heard something about some international companies? Or if anyone has any creative ways PM me.

Try Pantaenius - they offer some out of the box policies.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. Five years were up and my insurance company wanted another survey.

After considering my various options I decided that a survey and insurance with a well known company (actually the one I was already with) was the best way to go.

I was unable to locate the surveyor who had done my original survey so I selected a local one who had been in business for a long time from the list provided by my insurance company.

I found the surveyor to be remarkably realistic and am now happily re-insured.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:55   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
I think all legit insurers will want a survey for an older boat. On the positive side, insurance surveys aren't too harsh from what I've seen. Besides, it can be handy to have a second opinion on the seaworthiness of your vessel.

We just insured our new to us boat via Pantaenius. The survey identified a handful of items that need attention. The insurer wants these fixed, but we agreed to do these over time in order of priority and advise accordingly. Obviously safety and seaworthy affecting items will be fixed asap.

As an alternative, you could go with Edward William Marine insurance, but you may want to get your mate to do some reseaech first.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 15:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post

Call IMIS...I have liability only through them just to make marinas happy. $500 for a year.
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 17:25   #6
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

He ended up with Edward William.

At least he can go into marinas now. We are fixing my boat and when its fixed we will swap our boats around so I will take over his 3 month marina contract and the boat yard can take him. The boat will need a lot of work before a surveyor will be let at it.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, marinas