Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 10:26   #1

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42
38' Down East Downeaster ?

Does anyone have experience with these boats?? 38'downeaster... I have looked at a 1979 cutter version.. In a Few days I going to look at the 1976 Ketch version. Per discussion with owners they will be very close same price. The ketch version though I have not been aboard yet, seems to be the better taken care of based on the pix.. They appear to be the same boat just differant sail plans. Im looking for a boat in this style to be my new home. I did go to the older threads on the subject of cutter vs Ketch which seems to be just a personal preferance. But I guess that makes the question more to the hull??
Ketch
LOA: 38 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 11 in Cutter
Displacement: 19500 lbs
LOA: 41 ft 9 in
Beam: 11 ft 10 in
LWL: 29 ft 0 in

Looking for some experienced thoughts on the 38 Downeaster as a blue water cruiser, liveaboard, Island hopper, and Ketch or Cutter preference being single or short handed???
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:37   #2

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Re: 38' Down East Downeaster ?

A friend of mine had the ketch a few years back, and it was not very good to windward in light winds, or if there was a sea running. I also remember some deck repair work he had to do, so like any boat of this vintage you can count on starting to remove and rebed all deck hardware the day after you buy the boat. It's a nice boat though, and ought to fit your parameters.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 04:47   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Outrigger,

I used to own a Downeaster ketch and I loved her. She sailed well and with the full keel she tracked like she was on rails. She would sail herself with just the helm tightened down. I sailed her my self often but was also a great family boat for my wife and two boys. I would still have her but she went down in a big storm on the rocky coast of Maine.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Feel free to PM me.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem
Camper Nicholson 39 CC Ketch
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:02   #4

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42

AnsleyS Thank you, I work offshore in the Gulf and on my return I am planning to stop and spend some time on the Ketch. I should have several questions then. Could you tell me some things that I should look for on this boat. That I could over look. any issues???

Thanks James
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 06:35   #5

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

A website dedicated to DE's can be found here.

This guy is rebuilding and refitting a DE38 and blogging about it here.

One of the things that I know about concerning DEs is the stock tanks are aging and prone to leaks. They are big, heavy and under the sole. Replacing them is a major ordeal so some owners have resorted to coating the insides rather than pulling them. I really like the huge cockpit area on these boats. Its almost like having a back yard!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:58   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Outrigger,

I agree with Surveyor, look hard at all wood sections including the deck and all metal parts including tanks.

I also agree that the large cockpit is great. We were always the cocktail party boat. The only downside to the size of the cockpit is that when you take heavy water aboard on the windward deck it flows aft along the side deck and then cuts across the cockpit for the lee scuppers. This keeps the cockpit wet.

Cheers,

Ansley
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote