Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 12:29   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: 37' Atkins Ingrid Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
A little difference of opinion here! An Ingrid would not be on my short list of sailboats, but it would sail circles around a Mariner 40. I have sailed an Ingrid and sailed next to a Mariner 40 , and there is little comparison. Just another opinion.____Grant.
Disagree on that one and I've sailed both except the Mariner was a 35 woody and it sailed pretty darn good. If the Ingrid would sail circles around the Mariner they would have to be extremely wide circles never going to weather.

kind regards,
Old 21-05-2013, 12:33   #47

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

And, besides the Ingrid theoretically should sail faster since its waterline length is longer.
Old 21-05-2013, 13:36   #48

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I've owned both wood and glass boats, both have had their good and bad points. I was very glad when good used glass boats came down to my price point many years ago, I was then at the end of my patience with wooden boats. I like to sail, when my work hours outnumbered my sailing hours the balance was not my cup of tea even though I get as much satisfaction working on my vessels as I do sailing them, it's a very personal choice.
I don't envy you in that matter, it's an expensive experiment either way, when asked by friends or friends of friends about getting into sailing how to get into the pursuit I usually tell them to pick a simple boat with a simple rig and simple maintenance needs just to get the experience. It's hard to really know what you want until you've sailed for a few years, sail your own, sail on other peoples boats whenever the opportunity arises, you may be surprised by what you find, I've certainly had my head spun around a few times, and my presumptions challenged, what I sail now is no where near what I thought I'd be sailing. Like a woman, gorgeous curves can be enticing, but won't do a thing for you if she isn't a good match for you, looks are a nice extra if the whole package is a good match.
I'm fortunate in both ends of my life in that way, hope it works out the same for you. Good luck in making your choice, it's never easy.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:35   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Note that this thread is kinda old, and that the OP disappeared long ago. One always wishes that after milking the forum for expertise the folks posing the questions would grace us with what they decided, and then later, how it played out.

So, Carogan, if you are still with us, what happened?? Whodunnit? Inquiring minds want to know... we invested time and thought into our answers to your queries, so give us something back!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-05-2013, 14:47   #50

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Jim and Ann... Lived aboard a 1972 DeFever 54 power boat in San Diego for many years built of mahogany planks in Japan. Cruised her from Canada to Mexico and IMO, you cannot beat a well maintained wooden vessel. I grew up in the PNW aboard wooden tugs and fishboats for about 25 years and learned to love them, enjoyed working on them and would recommend them over any other hull material hands down.
While fiberglass is perhaps slightly less work maintenance-wise, the downside to 'tupperware' boats is osmosis, fading and cracking. Repairs can be problematic whereas a wooden planked boat can be careened almost anywhere and planks repaired/replaced... good luck with your bodily refit! Cheers, Phi
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry123 View Post
I have owned 4 timber classics, and own a 38 Ingrid Ketch "timber"
Anyone that says wood is more maintenance than other boats is really talking out of his proverbial rear end. Sorry for the imagery but i am over tyre kickers that simply are afraid of getting their hands a little dirty.
I have been on the hard doing haul outs a number of times, once a guy next to me had the bad news he had osmosis peperring all over his hull, quote to barrier coat, 45000AUD.
But saying this, i do not say one construction is better than any other, every boat is prone to its own maintenance issues. Like any boat if you leave your girl in a Marina year after year, then expect things to ad up.
I would personally much prefer to replace a plank than a barrier coat, or weld plates on.
Give me a full timber keel in a raging following sea , hove too, any day.
I have delivered boats all over the planet have inspected and surveyed, Has Christians, Tayana 38's, etc etc. Wood breathes, GRP does not, neither does steel. Good old Dulux veranda paint with a bit more siccative to harden a little more is the best, even on glass. Painting a boat is not about how long it stays on, but how easy it is to get off. Its cheap easy and fun. So thats my 2 cents worth.. Buy a timber boat, you will not regret it.
I love wood boats, nothing is quite like them feel, small and sound wise, but you better know every thing about your boat... so you dont pop a plank and sink in 30 seconds or so! .....it does happen... just read about one recently... You can neglect a fiberglass one for a long time...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 18:54   #52

I just acquired an Ingrid, myself. Not sure what I got myself into. It appears the hull was built by dipping all the planks in resin? Some rot in the cabin plywood. Teak decks are worn but appear perfect. She needs some work, but seems mostly sound.
Anyone hear of this little ship? It's the Aristos. Commissioned around 1972, seems longer than 38ft....
Thanks!
thekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 19:29   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I owned an Ingrid for over 20 years, lived aboard, sailed around Vancouver Island twice, once single handed then up to Alaska and back then to San Francisco. Spent several years sailing her around the Bay and up to the Delta. She was just about the sweetest vessel I ever sailed. You have one of the finest designed vessels of all time, equally capable of weekend cruising or long distance off shore sailing. Not the fastest on the wind but abeam and of the wind she goes like stink! When I finally sold her, I got more than I paid for her! Enjoy... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 20:28   #54

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

You have received a lot of great feedback from your inquiry, much of it contradictory, not to be surprising. Obviously, when you receive advice, someone is telling you what they would do in your place, but only you can decide what you should do. I have owned, built, restored, professionally sailed, and rebuilt wooden boats and ships all my life and as a maritime museum director am currently responsible for one of the largest fleets of wooden historical and replica ships in the world. We sail almost all of them but even so, my many staff and hundreds of volunteers like working on them just as much as sailing them. If that describes you, then this may be the perfect boat for you. I myself now have a fiberglass 40' cruising sloop and it is definitely less maintenance intensive than the 45' Alden yawl I had many years ago (or the several wooden ships in my charge), but I still enjoy working on my fiberglass boat as much as I enjoy sailing her, just as I once did with my Alden.

For what its worth, there was once a beautiful and well known Ingrid ketch on the same dock as my current boat. This Ingrid had been lovingly maintained by the same family for three generations. They had an incredible stock of wonderful memories sailing her, just as they did in working on her. When the last generation decided that they couldn't maintain her any more they first tried to sell her, then give her away to a good home. When that proved impossible, finally they had to pay someone to demo the boat. Was all the intensive maintenance, lavish expense, and love over three generations worth it? - every minute and every penny!
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch