Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-01-2012, 19:39   #1

34ft. Scheldenschow yacht

Does anyone know anything about these shallow draft steel-hulled boats built in Holland in the 70s?

Old 04-01-2012, 15:59   #2

Boat: Alberg 37 "Joan III"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsmith
Does anyone know anything about these shallow draft steel-hulled boats built in Holland in the 70s?
The scheldeschouw is a design by Vermeulen that tried to achieve a compromise between a flat bottom yacht with sideboards and a sideboard less similar yacht. It is quite suitable for the area around the river Schelde, which is obvious from the name, in the SW of the Netherlands. Schouw is a collective name for a flat bottom yacht that has it's origin in fishing boats the lake district in the NE of the Netherlands as well as on the inner sea now IJsselmeer. One can argue that the scheldeschouw has only a distant family relationship because a schouw tends to have a flat bow and stern. This would be more a dirivation from a grundel but lets not nitpick.

The construction is simple and requires little bending of steel plates. Tides make a more or less flat bottom easy (mind you the yacht has a box keel and will not dry our horizontal at all) and no sideboards and somewhat sharper lines would make the yacht more easy going in the open waters of that area. I would not think that this design is seaworthy but then again people have crossed the Channel on lesser boats. Actually I remember that a scheldeschouw sailed across the Atlantic, I googled and indeed 1981 the Elephant Rock.

The scheldeschouw (skelde skow where "k" is a guttural "g" typical to the Dutch). Quite a lot have been built since the design in 1961 they have a group of enthusiastic owners. There is a bit of a discussion whether these yachts are real flat or round bottoms that can keep purists busy in the yacht club however the "bible" on sailing yachts written by Van Kampen that I got from my father in1986 is categorically stating that this is a transitional design and does not belong in the group of Dutch round and flat bottom vessels.

If you can read Dutch the website of the owner's association will give you a wealth of information http://scheldeschouw.nl/

Old 04-01-2012, 20:10   #3

Re: 34ft. Scheldenschow yacht

thanks muchly
a 34 ft model is for sale in new zealand
presumably it sailed there from holland
are these ok deep water?
Old 04-01-2012, 20:27   #4

Boat: 33ft sloop

The Vermeulen yard is indeed responsible for the popularity in the '60's and 70' s but there are more designers/yards producing this type of flatbottom originating from Zeeland.
Initially they were used as general auxiliary boats rather than yachts. De Schelde, in this respect, is not the river but the estuary which is located in Holland, the river Schelde is foremost located in Belgium.
The boat is ok for large open water, maybe even for a short seatrip, depending on construction and design. They are similar to the Tholense schouw and many other flatbottoms from Zeeuwse heritage like the Hoogaars, which is definitely seaworthy being used to deliver the catch of herring to the shore.
A 34 ft could be used for coastal cruising (depending where) but again, the design characteristics are not always the same as there is more than one designer of this type of craft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scheldeschouw-1.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	35571  
Old 04-01-2012, 20:34   #5

You mean New Zealand the country or Zeeland the Dutch province?
Old 04-01-2012, 20:39   #6

As the spelling says: Zeeland, not New Zealand. The very reason that I never translate geographical/topographical names.
Old 04-01-2012, 20:43   #7

Do you plan to buy one? It all depends on what and where you plan to sail. If you give a bit more details I could help. Whatever others have managed to do with the yacht it doesn't mean that it would be necessarily the best choice for that. Hassler crossed the Atlantic in a junk rigged folkboat which is possible but I would personally not sign up for. Scheldeschouwen are for protected coastal waters at best in my view and experinece.
Old 04-01-2012, 20:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
As the spelling says: Zeeland, not New Zealand. The very reason that I never translate geographical/topographical names.
I replied to Phil. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-01-2012, 20:56   #9

The "Hoogaars" is quite similar in design but made for the North Sea. So it is not always that easy to say for which sort of use a particular design has been made.
The shape of the hull is not always decisive for the employment. It depends on construction mostly.
De "Westerschelde" can be a monstruous piece of water when tide is running a galewind. As I found out lately crossing an estuary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoogaars.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	35574  
Old 04-01-2012, 23:08   #10

the 34ft boat is for sale in new zealand in the pacific yes and i am thinking of sailing her to australia
am i mad?
thanks all for your thoughts
Old 05-01-2012, 03:39   #11

There is sufficient longitudinal strength, check for the proper drainers and see how the boat is constructed. Are there sideboards, yes/no, - a good advice might be to get used to the way of sailing a flatbottom. Is it a Dutch construction or is the boat locally made?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16   #12
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: 34ft. Scheldenschow yacht

Seen a couple or 3 in marina's around the Med... but thats not to say they came down the 'Outside'... could well have cruised down the canals...
dunno if I'd like to be in one in an ocean storm...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36   #13

Their are some design weaknesses in the traditional fishermen of the era, witnessed by the hundreds that never came back from their tour. Generally the bigger flatbottoms are quite seaworthy and capable to withstand severe conditions.
But look at this one, maybe this will help to get an idea or two.

Loodsbotter Texelstroom - YouTube
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56   #14

Hey, thanks people, it looks possible. Price only $33k NZ.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01   #15

I am thinking downwind on a flat-bottom boat would be ok, but she would slam upwind in any sort of sea.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: