Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03   #16

Re: 34ft. Scheldenschow yacht

The boat is built in Holland about 1970 of corten steel.
Philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04   #17

Boat: 33ft sloop

The Scheldeschouw has quite sharp lines and won' t slam like the botter or boeier.

A small event in Holland of the Scheldeschouw Society ....

VSS jubileum bijeenkomst - YouTube
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05   #18

Do you know at which yard she was built?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Here my uncle and aunt (both passed away now) on their's (called "Robbenoord" ) somewhere in the 70's. Check out their windlass!

These boats are surprisingly fast and this one consistantly outsailed our 31' van de Stadt fin keeled boat!

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55   #20

Boat: Alberg 37 "Joan III"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsmith
I am thinking downwind on a flat-bottom boat would be ok, but she would slam upwind in any sort of sea.
Dear Phil,

First a bit on credentials, I don't want to sound negative about any boat type. My very first sailing has been in round and flat bottom traditional Dutch sailing boats. I got my first schouw when I was about 7 years old and then gradually went to larger boats. I was a sailing instructor on traditional Dutch yachts. See my website for more on my sailing www.maartenvanhasselt.com.

In all honesty I would never ever consider a scheldeschouw for open water. Yes the estuary can be quite wild but one is always less than an hour away from a protected sandbank or port.

It has nothing to do with sound construction (of course if nit well constructed even the best designed boat will not survive) but everything with the design of the boat. Many books have been written on what boats are best suited for what area. Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook is a great guide as are the books by the Pardey's. Mustin Surveying the fiber lass sailboat and Don Casey Inspecting the aging sailboat are good guides to make sure you don't buy a lemon. Also have a look at the ISAF Offshore checklist even though you will not participate in races these rules are meant for safety at sea and give you a way to see how the boats you,Ike stack up in that area. A great book is also Jeremy Hood Safety preparations for cruising.

For sea kindly behavior you will want smoother lines and higher coamings, you definitely don't want the boxy underwater plan and the exposed cabin of the scheldeschouw.

Whatever you do is your choice I am happy to set up a phone call or email outside this chat site to discuss more but with the experience I have sailing many different boats I would feel very uncomfortable not having asked you to seriously reconsider buying the boat you mention for any water sailing">blue water sailing and even coastal sailing.

For the price you mention there are many wonderful boats for sale and if you want to have a more classic yacht which I gather from your scheldeschouw interest the choice if even larger.

In your area of sailing I would look for a traditional long keel yacht preferable cutter rigged. Again one can sail in many boats and seaworthy is mostly defined by the crew. Heyerdahl crossed the Atlantic on a balsa raft but that doesn't mean that if you are a prudent sailor and you have a choice what you buy you should go for an unsuitable boat for the sailing area.
GalvestonBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsmith
Hey, thanks people, it looks possible. Price only $33k NZ.
Please read my reply before handing over the dollars...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42   #22

Galveston is right in the sense that the Scheldeschouw is a design adapted to the particular environment of the Westerschelde and the waters around Zeeland. Wide, open not that particular sheltered but no match to the Australian/New Zealand waters unless they are sheltered ones. No open Ocean - Sidney-Hobart conditions.

You must consider this before you decide to buy this boat.
Second to that, she is fairly overpriced. Half of the sum and then even in very good condition, would be the standard of today. Prices of 15 - 16 K in Euro' s are normal and Holland is already expensive.

If you want a traditional boat, look at something like a Bristol Cutter or the like. This design is better suited to meet your bloody dangerous waters. Excusez le mot.

The passage to Aus is not impossible but you should take your measurements. Calculate your risk carefully and well consider the waters where you will sail her.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
Galveston is right in the sense that the Scheldeschouw is a design adapted to the particular environment of the Westerschelde and the waters around Zeeland. Wide, open not that particular sheltered but no match to the Australian/New Zealand waters unless they are sheltered ones. No open Ocean - Sidney-Hobart conditions.

You must consider this before you decide to buy this boat.
Second to that, she is fairly overpriced. Half of the sum and then even in very good condition, would be the standard of today. Prices of 15 - 16 K in Euro' s are normal and Holland is already expensive.

If you want a traditional boat, look at something like a Bristol Cutter or the like. This design is better suited to meet your bloody dangerous waters. Excusez le mot.

The passage to Aus is not impossible but you should take your measurements. Calculate your risk carefully and well consider the waters where you will sail her.
Amen to that.

Tags
yacht