Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06   #31

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: 30 foot sailboats that small?

I can speak for the Alberg boats of yesteryear. Although he was at Sparkman Stephens when he drew it, my Columbia 29 has the usual Alberg Coachroof break in it. It looks nice from afar and on paper, but me at 6'2" and that roof break coming down to 5'11" have had strong words a plenty. We are not the best of friends... So in retrospect damn you Carl Alberg and your walking on your knees! You made a lovely seakindly boat that sails well and has all the right dimensions in proportion ect but would 3" of head room have killed you? While were at it lets talk about the vberth being 6'0" long... On second thought better not thread drift too much.

I will say I've had the boat in 45-50kts gusting to 55kts, and waves 8-10' here in the Great Lakes the waves stack up nice and close together with no swell. We were hitting 12.5 while surfing and although it did yaw a bit it held a fairly easy coarse and motion. That is until my mate accidently gybed us when I went forward to stow the main, while I still had the preventer rigged from the boom to the foredeck... We took 3-5 waves beam on. It was exciting especially on the cabin roof hanging onto the mast and getting the main down. Then running back and firing up the A4 engine and getting the boat turned into the waves... Anyways it was a good test to see how it handled the conditions. It laid over pretty far but slid down the waves nicely and righted itself in good order. So my point I guess there is something to be said for a good seaworthy design. Not that newer designs aren't seaworthy, just choose wisely. You never know when it will save you from yourself... Wait what was that about thread drift?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:39   #32

If u want a small boat w/lots of room, check out the Westsail32 or even a Fortune 31. Both have lots of interior space for their size.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 14:19   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: 30 foot sailboats that small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I can speak for the Alberg boats of yesteryear. Although he was at Sparkman Stephens when he drew it, my Columbia 29 has the usual Alberg Coachroof break in it. It looks nice from afar and on paper, but me at 6'2" and that roof break coming down to 5'11" have had strong words a plenty. We are not the best of friends... So in retrospect damn you Carl Alberg and your walking on your knees! You made a lovely seakindly boat that sails well and has all the right dimensions in proportion ect but would 3" of head room have killed you? While were at it lets talk about the vberth being 6'0" long... On second thought better not thread drift too much.

I will say I've had the boat in 45-50kts gusting to 55kts, and waves 8-10' here in the Great Lakes the waves stack up nice and close together with no swell. We were hitting 12.5 while surfing and although it did yaw a bit it held a fairly easy coarse and motion. That is until my mate accidently gybed us when I went forward to stow the main, while I still had the preventer rigged from the boom to the foredeck... We took 3-5 waves beam on. It was exciting especially on the cabin roof hanging onto the mast and getting the main down. Then running back and firing up the A4 engine and getting the boat turned into the waves... Anyways it was a good test to see how it handled the conditions. It laid over pretty far but slid down the waves nicely and righted itself in good order. So my point I guess there is something to be said for a good seaworthy design. Not that newer designs aren't seaworthy, just choose wisely. You never know when it will save you from yourself... Wait what was that about thread drift?
Good one..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote