Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 20:00   #76

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: 3 blade Max prop vs 3 blade fixed?

I cleaned and decreased mine with paper towels and then used dawn dish detergent to get the last grease out before sending to PYI.

I am on my 14th season and after discussing my prop condition with PYI, he recommended greasing every year. He also said that coming to neutral, hesitating, then going into reverse will avoid some wear. My prop wasn't terrible, but needed work. Put it back on last week, repitched to 20 degrees and went motoring for a short while. It was set at 22 degrees for 14 years and I am not satisfied with the 20 degree setting so am going to experiment one more weekend and then make the decision whether to pull and change the pitch back to 22 degrees. I picked up from 3400 to 3600 RPM WOT but my speed didn't increase as I had expected it to do. I didn't get a true test as there was some current so Labor Day weekend I will find some calm water in a long cove and do some RPM/Speed test to confirm what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:31   #77

Boat: Catalina 470

It's been a little while, but I finally got my Max prop back from PYI. It looks sooo shiny and new :-). I didn't realize how much play there was in the blade until I got it back, and it's so snug and tight, virtually no play. Can't wait to reinstall it next time I haul the boat...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2303.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	137774
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 15:33   #78

Here's a before picture Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	137775
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 09-12-2016, 16:02   #79
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Can't wait to reinstall it next time I haul the boat...
Again- PYI will happily recommend a qualified diver to do an in-water installation.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:05   #80

3 blade Max prop vs 3 blade fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Again- PYI will happily recommend a qualified diver to do an in-water installation.

Any idea of how much they charge? I'm not in any hurry to haul the boat, so if a diver is reasonably priced I might consider it. I am a diver myself, but this is a bit fiddly to try myself, and I'd hate to drop and lose any parts...

I dropped an email to PYI to get a recommendation.
Old 09-12-2016, 16:11   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Any idea of how much they charge?
I only know what I charge. $400.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 21:59   #82

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

David

You are going to love the Max Prop.

I had a Catalina 470 with a 21" fixed three blade prop out of the factory.

I installed a Max Prop VIP 3 blade.

I noticed a 1 Knot improvement sailing speed under the same wind and tidal conditions.

The Max Prop has a prop walk, mine was to the left, which made docking and back & fills easy.

The one thing that took a little getting used to was how far the boat will drift when you go from a drive gear to neutral, without the fix prop dragging through the water.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 22:35   #83

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Any idea of how much they charge? I'm not in any hurry to haul the boat, so if a diver is reasonably priced I might consider it. I am a diver myself, but this is a bit fiddly to try myself, and I'd hate to drop and lose any parts...

I dropped an email to PYI to get a recommendation.
In San Diego I basically paid $150 to have mine taken off and another $150 to have it put back on a week later. The dive service used was a recommended service from PYI.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 16:46   #84

I was quoted almost $500 by a local diver recommended by PYI. Going to wait until I haul the boat next year, and take care of a bunch of things all at once.

Tags
3 blade