Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2018, 22:45   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: 28-36 Sailboat with large cockpit,st wheel,marine head, kind of fast. Recommendat

Then there's the bigger one

https://www.idbmarine.com/en/malango...alango1088.php

The price is there, don't look
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 00:45   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: 28-36 Sailboat with large cockpit,st wheel,marine head, kind of fast. Recommendat

Kinda spartan for long term usage, but I bet fun to sail!

Jim
Old 26-08-2018, 01:27   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Kinda spartan for long term usage, but I bet fun to sail!

Jim
Yep definitely spartan but very cool. Single guy on it.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 04:39   #49

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We have a Seaward 32Rk and really like it. They are a beautiful boat with very nice lines. We have had several people in the cockpit and are very comfortable sailing it that way. It also has cat bird seats which is nice. It's a pretty fast boat, maybe not in the J boat class though, but I've never sailed on one of those. It has a marine head galley etc. and great interior space. We changed the sail plan from the 135% Genoa to a 110% Jib and Doyle UPS sail for light air. She really shines on the light days with that UPS! On days with heavier air, we have hit 7.6 knots on the GPS repeatedly which is amazing for the size of the boat. The draft is variable from 20" - 6'5" using a winch that lifts a high aspect foil with a lead torpedo at the bottom. She weighs a claimed 8300# and is trailerable if you so desire. Seems like it would fit the bill per your request for ideas. There was some stink about customer service in the past with these boats, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the current owners of the company which builds Island Packet, Blue Jacket and Seaward are terrific and customer service is outstanding. Here's a link to their website. 32RK | Seaward Yachts

Good luck!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 05:11   #50

Boat: Cal 33-2

You didn't mention your budget (unless I missed it) but if you can consider a J105, then you have lots of options. The J105 looks to me to meet your criteria very well. My only concerns are that a former owner of one in my club didn't have many good things to say about the build quality (he now has a J109). Other J sprit boats would also be worth a look at. Saw a J88 in a slip recently and I was amazed at the size of the cockpit. Also worth a look is the newer C&Cs like the 99, 110, etc.
Old 27-08-2018, 06:06   #51

Boat: Beneteau

The only substitute is possibly four of any other builders boats in it's range for the equivalent price.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 07:27   #52

Went through a similar search in the spring. Spec's slightly different in tat huge cockpit was not very high on my list.

Sporty with wheel:
- Beneteau First 34.7/ Fast, huge cockpit, toilet. Designed for full crew though: if single/double handed tends to broach.
- Beneteau First 35: successor of above, quite a bit more expensive.

- All J's, J105, or even better, J109
- Dufour 34 Performance (I have this one). Fast, confortable, bit more stable than Beneteau First 34.7, but cockpit not particularly big
- Archambault 35 , similar to Beneteau 34.7: big cockpit, very fast
- Jeanneau 32i, or the newer version 3200
home_maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:07   #53

Boat: Express 30

S2 10.3 or Express 35.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:09   #54

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

I wonder how many people reflexively answer this common question with their own boat? We all like to think we have chosen the best boat.

A better question might be: what kind of boat do you own, and what do you like/dislike about it?

This is the only question most of us can answer with any real knowledge.

The questioner would then get honest, useful answers about various boats, tempered with the understanding that most of us have experience with a small number of them.

A sticky thread with this info might be useful, maybe broken down by length or type, or tagged with useful keywords to make it easy to search.
Old 27-08-2018, 11:10   #55

Boat: Beneteau 36' CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_maarten View Post
Went through a similar search in the spring. Spec's slightly different in tat huge cockpit was not very high on my list.

Sporty with wheel:
- Beneteau First 34.7/ Fast, huge cockpit, toilet. Designed for full crew though: if single/double handed tends to broach.
- Beneteau First 35: successor of above, quite a bit more expensive.

- All J's, J105, or even better, J109
- Dufour 34 Performance (I have this one). Fast, confortable, bit more stable than Beneteau First 34.7, but cockpit not particularly big
- Archambault 35 , similar to Beneteau 34.7: big cockpit, very fast
- Jeanneau 32i, or the newer version 3200

How about a Beneteau 36 Center Cockpit? Same hull as a “First” I think.
Old 27-08-2018, 11:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
I'm looking to buy a boat. Most of the time it will be for day sails so a big cockpit allowing a few adults to be on the boat comfortably would be idea.

I'd also like
- a steering wheel not a tiller
- regular marine head not a porta potty
- something sporty. Not $1M all carbon fiber, but something more speed oriented

Can anyone recommend anything that fits the bill?
A lot of old boats were that way. Columbia 34 had a long cockpit, Islander 37 etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	columbia_34-1_photo.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	176229  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:41   #57

Quote:
How about a Beneteau 36 Center Cockpit? Same hull as a “First” I think.
Question was for sporty/fast yacht with big cockpit. To me sounds like cruiser/racer. Center cockpits cater more for comfortable (ocean) sailing normally. I have not sailed Beneteau 36 CC, but the looks are definitely not that of a cruiser/racer, so does not seem to fit the requested bill
Old 27-08-2018, 12:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post

The best thing I have found thus far is a J/105. It's designed specifically to reduce the size of the cabin in favor of people outside and it's sporty and comes with a wheel not a tiller and a marine head.
As a long time J105 owner I think it is exactly what you described. Fantastic cockpit, benches long enough to sleep on or have a party for 12. Optional table is nice for parties. Step transom is nice too. Cabin is serviceable for a few days. And the boat sails fabulously on all points of sail.

If draft is an issue there are shoal draft boats out there (5.5') that are usually available at a discount (because you can't race them one-design). I don't get the quality comments. No it's not built like a Hinckley but it is far better built than any Beneteau, Catalina or Hunter. People do the double-handed Trans-Pac in J105s.

Negatives? No standing headroom, but that doesn't matter when you're sleeping. Simple mechanicals, but that means far less to break. Sprit pole may leak going to weather (don't leave your bed made). Go for a Scrimp boat if you're not going to race.

Most modern J-boats fit your description to some degree, but I think the 105 comes closest. Nothing wrong with the J109 but it means paying for and hauling around a bunch of furniture and mechanical systems that it doesn't sound like you need (plus it's ugly by comparison to the 105). J100 typically has a tiller (but some have been converted). J95 is pricey, but is the shoal water option. J124 is great, but that's a different price league.

BTW many of the J105s with tillers were converted from wheels and the seller might still have the components for putting the wheel back with half an hour of work. Things I'd check on a used J105: rudder bearings (most have been upgraded by now), fuel tank (tends to rot out) and generally was it raced hard and put away wet (some of the engines have been neglected getting only brief in and out of the dock use and not enough maintenance).
JoiedeVivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:28   #59

Boat: Beneteau 36' CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_maarten View Post
Question was for sporty/fast yacht with big cockpit. To me sounds like cruiser/racer. Center cockpits cater more for comfortable (ocean) sailing normally. I have not sailed Beneteau 36 CC, but the looks are definitely not that of a cruiser/racer, so does not seem to fit the requested bill

It has a First 36 hull, want to race? LOL
Old 27-08-2018, 14:30   #60

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_maarten

It has a First 36 hull, want to race? LOL

Like I said - haven't sailed it . From the ones I saw, seems the keel has been adjusted... also cockpit not really big.... First hull, but 2 generations back.. Rig doesn't seem racing rig either... And hell yeah - I'd want to race it, especially since I don't care abour losing so much . Would have to be over here in the Netherlands though...

Tags
boat, cockpit, head, marine, marine head, men, sail, sailboat, wheel