Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 09:42   #16

Re: 28-36 Sailboat with large cockpit,st wheel,marine head, kind of fast. Recommendat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Probably never raced with a tiller on a.small boat , changing hands during the manauver.

As for a fast cruiser I recommend beneteau first 29 or bigger .
Thanks. I looked at them. The cockpits are small though. Looks like a great fit otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRyan View Post
You are describing a Catalina 36. Great roomy boat for a reasonable cost. Also, there is a strong resale market for Catalinas.
Catalinas are slow. Great boat otherwise and I know a dealer here.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:45   #17

Re: 28-36 Sailboat with large cockpit,st wheel,marine head, kind of fast. Recommendat

Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at all of them and none of them allow for much seating in the cockpit.

The best thing I have found thus far is a J/105. It's designed specifically to reduce the size of the cabin in favor of people outside and it's sporty and comes with a wheel not a tiller and a marine head.

Any other suggestions I'll check out.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:45   #18

Boat: Pearson 10M

Pearson 10M
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you wish to SAIL with a crowd in the cockpit, then I disagree with this. The swept area of a tiller is much greater than the area occupied by wheel and pedestal. A folding or easily removed wheel helps during happy hours.

Jim
Yep.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:56   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at all of them and none of them allow for much seating in the cockpit.

The best thing I have found thus far is a J/105. It's designed specifically to reduce the size of the cabin in favor of people outside and it's sporty and comes with a wheel not a tiller and a marine head.

I concur. Not the boat for me, but a good buddy of ours bought a J105 many years ago and just loved it, super fast like a sports car, sexy cockpit layout. I don't think he could stand up in the cabin though. but maybe what they did there didn't require standing . . .
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:57   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

J/105’s...it’s amazing what you can fit in the cockpit,,,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4585.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	175892
Old 21-08-2018, 10:08   #22

You are on the right track with the J boat etc. Some boats are not offshore cruiser types and have long cockpits and shorter cabins. They are out there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:52   #23

Boat: Valiant 40
28-36 Sailboat with large cockpit,st wheel,marine head, kind of fast. Recommendation?

Just a heads up that the 105 draws 6.5’. Make sure that works where you want to sail.

There is a relatively large 105 racing fleet in Annapolis and they are fun to sail. Downwind in one with the asym up surfing at 15 knots will put a smile on anyone’s face.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:02   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

take a look at the Catalina 310. it had a huge cockpit and good room below as well. they are cool little boats

Old 21-08-2018, 14:03   #25

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

The boat you are looking for has the qualities we were looking for. We decided on a Nonsuch 33 and are more than pleased. Lots of room and light. Very well built, with a big cockpit and a balanced helm. Surprisingly fast. The disadvantage for this boat is that they are hard to find. Good luck.
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 14:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I concur. Not the boat for me, but a good buddy of ours bought a J105 many years ago and just loved it, super fast like a sports car, sexy cockpit layout. I don't think he could stand up in the cabin though. but maybe what they did there didn't require standing . . .
I mostly will be using it for heading out at noon and drinking beers while sailing around the sound with friends. I want a regular head for the ladies and so I don't have the disgusting task of emptying a portapotty.

Others will charter it and sleep on it but in that size, I'd rather moor it and camp out.
Old 21-08-2018, 14:28   #27

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Dufour 35 Classic 1998, lewmar folding wheel, two transom seats as well, traveller on the coachhouse, two cabin version with enormous storage stbd side seats 8 around the table
Love my little boat
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 14:40   #28

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a boat. Most of the time it will be for day sails so a big cockpit allowing a few adults to be on the boat comfortably would be idea.

I'd also like
- a steering wheel not a tiller
- regular marine head not a porta potty
- something sporty. Not $1M all carbon fiber, but something more speed oriented

Can anyone recommend anything that fits the bill?
A lot will depend on where you are, what is the water like there, depth etc and what is your budget.
Having bought my new boat last year, a Farr 1020, she was designed with a tiller but had a wheel fitted. Fast boat, large(fish) cockpit, traveller at the helm so I can actually sail properly and under 6ft draught. Fantastic boat for my needs and desires but probably not available in US or even Europe.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 15:46   #29

San Juan 30
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 17:08   #30

Boat: Scout 30

Hinckley. There is no substitute.

http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/pre-ow...03/?sf_paged=7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ds42_01.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	175902   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds42_10.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	175903