Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 10:27   #61

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: 2015 Hinkley Bermuda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post

Now, I'm NOT a fan of the "new" Bermuda 50's design rendering, but I'll wait 'til they finish the boat, before I make a final decision on whether I could accept it as a Hinckley....
Not the most practical "cruising boats", but they are some of the finest sailing yachts ever made...form and function....in my opinion, they're works of art, that sail like the wind itself....those of us who've sailed one, well-trimmed, in a fresh breeze....ah...better than sex....well almost!
I suppose it's like driving a well-tuned Ferrari on a twisting country road (which I've never done!)....
Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
He he, I have done that, I mean the Ferrari and my daughter tried it too and said it was not very different the car I use to cruise around.

I agree with you, but in what regards that, unless you are not driving a modern Ferrari but an old one from the 60's, that applies to the new Hynkley, not to the old one.

Regarding how the Hyncley is going to look, on the outside, it will not be very different from this (same designer):
Yacht 60 - Solaris Yachts
How can possibly one not like it? Ferrari or Aston Martin, as Bill Tripp suggests, is a good analogy.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm not really sure what this thread is about. But I went to the Hinkley website and looked at the new Bermuda 50 and to me it doesn't have a good liveaboard layout. I'm sure it is going to be a nice boat that sails well, but once there ??????????????
Old 12-01-2015, 11:54   #63
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Marine grade plywood goes out the door a little over $50.00 a sheet
?? the douglas fir plywood is over 50 for a half sheet. if you want good marine plywood like okoume it will be MUCH more than that
Old 12-01-2015, 11:54   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
There is no parallel in what regards Architecture that in what regards outside shapes are much less functional than sailboats.

You can compare sailboat shapes with car shapes even if only in what regards aerodynamics and on the boat what concerns the hull. In What regards sailboat hulls it is a bit more complicated because it is not only about hydrodynamics but also in what regards hydrodynamics versus generated hull form stability that would be translated in power, not mentioned keel and rudder design that are only possible the way cutting edge boats has them today due to the use of new materials.

Regarding hull design there is an evolution, always towards a better hydrodynamics/stability compromise, towards boats that sail with less heel, roll less, are faster and have a globally better performance. The more modern Morris design, this one (45RS, that had the keel recently improved) :

has nothing special besides being an outdated design. In what regards Yacht Naval Architecture that would be the state of art around 1990, as you can see by this very similar (hull) 1990 First 45 designed by Farr:

The Hinckley 50 (or the Solaris 60) represent the state of the art today. You can like the shapes or not but they are not there due to a ascetically function but because they are the ones that work better.

Regarding liking or not, for most it is a question of time because in what regards cars, airplanes or boats fast is beautiful, it just take more time to some to adapt their eyes to new and more efficient hull forms.

That's very funny and I only find it out later, but I found a Bill Tripp video where he is saying what I am telling you, using the car analogy and all

The Aston Martin was a good example of the past tied into the future. Porsche does it with panache and even the cheap seats Ford Mustang has it figured out. They are all afraid of wandering too far off the path in case they can no longer be recognized. There was a time you could recognize sailboats by the designs but now not so much although Island Packet, J Boats and the like are still quite recognizable.
Fast is beautiful to some degree but a Stagger Wing Beachcraft is still way easier on the eyes than a new Cirrus in my mind. I've never owned a classic sailboat but I sure understand those that do.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:04   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
?? the douglas fir plywood is over 50 for a half sheet. if you want good marine plywood like okoume it will be MUCH more than that
I just simply reported that you could buy marine plywood in quantity beginning around $50 bucks a sheet. I did not specify the wood type. If you check around you will find that to be correct.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 15:31   #66

Quote:
Morris did not really modernized their yacht design. Some improvements (they modified the keel of the 45RS but maintained the old hull) but not really contemporary like the the Hinckley or the Solaris.
Completely wrong. Morris modernized all of the their offshorehull designs as the moved from their heritage line to the ocean series.

Quote:
I have nothing against (all for) a traditional classic interior on a traditional boat but a cutting edge designed boat with a classic interior? That does not make sense, a design has to have a continuity in style between the interior and the exterior.
Many interior decorators use a combination of old and new styles of furnishings and in modernist buidlings, and I for one, am a fan of that when done well. And as to my point above, the Morris RS does have a modern hull design and and adds the old Herreshoff finishes that to my eye are drop dead gorgeous.

Quote:
Regarding the Solaris to be a Med boat Do you have noticed that it is very similar to the Hinckley in what regards hull, just bigger? That would make the Hinckley what? a lake boat
Compare the cockpit of the two boats; the Solaris has a very wide and extremely shallow cockpit, both of which are great ideas for entertaining and grand prix racing but undesirable at sea, and it would require a foot brace were it not for the cockpit table. The new Hinckley design has a properly narrow cockpit and a nicely recessed (though not elevated) companionway. The cocpit coamings, though shallow, run past the cocpit floor, unlike the Solaris.

I'm surprised you didn't see this as cockpit design is one of the first if not the first clue as to the intended purpose of a yacht. The new Hinckley has a much more viable cockpit design for nasty weather.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:35   #67
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux
Morris did not really modernized their yacht design. Some improvements (they modified the keel of the 45RS but maintained the old hull) but not really contemporary like the the Hinckley or the Solaris.
Completely wrong. Morris modernized all of the their offshorehull designs as the moved from their heritage line to the ocean series.
Last summer, I encountered only 2 other sailing yachts during the course of about 2K NM of cruising north of Cape Breton... One was Dennison Berwick's steel hulled Tahitiana ketch KUAN YIN, the other was this "outdated" Morris 42...

Other than the one new Oceanis 41 I saw in Baddeck, I don't think I saw a single "Cutting Edge" Plastique Fantastique beyond Nantucket...

But, no doubt they'll be passing thru the Strait of Belle Isle in droves in another year or two...

:-))
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 16:40   #68

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I just simply reported that you could buy marine plywood in quantity beginning around $50 bucks a sheet. I did not specify the wood type. If you check around you will find that to be correct.
Ah, well that changes things just a bit, doesn't it? The subject was comparing prices of cored veneers with plywood. The prices I posted for cored veneers was for finished furniture-quality full sheets. It now sounds like these may be the same prices as for full sheets of finished furniture quality marine plywood.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 17:43   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Last summer, I encountered only 2 other sailing yachts during the course of about 2K NM of cruising north of Cape Breton... One was Dennison Berwick's steel hulled Tahitiana ketch KUAN YIN, the other was this "outdated" Morris 42...

Other than the one new Oceanis 41 I saw in Baddeck, I don't think I saw a single "Cutting Edge" Plastique Fantastique beyond Nantucket...

But, no doubt they'll be passing thru the Strait of Belle Isle in droves in another year or two...

What a lovely photograph- thanks for sharing that!
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 18:58   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
The Morris 45RS that I posted,the one that has an hull very similar to a 1990 First is the more modern of the Ocean series. That keel was "modernized" recently.
Old 12-01-2015, 19:01   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post

Outdated does not mean less seaworthy. Means just that, a typical hull from the beginning of the 90's, a 25 year's old design with a correspondent sail performance.
Old 12-01-2015, 21:54   #72

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
The Morris 45RS that I posted,the one that has an hull very similar to a 1990 First is the more modern of the Ocean series. That keel was "modernized" recently.
The basic idea of the Morris Ocean Series isn't new at all. Those designs are almost 30 years old. You can see the same style of boat made by Kanter and Able. They were also named the "Bermuda Series" and made as custom boats by lots of people.

The interior is all Morris.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 05:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The basic idea of the Morris Ocean Series isn't new at all. Those designs are almost 30 years old. You can see the same style of boat made by Kanter and Able. They were also named the "Bermuda Series" and made as custom boats by lots of people.

The interior is all Morris.
Gorgeous interiors and great quality no doubt.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:58   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Wow...if that's the new Ikea look Hinkley...no thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I was just looking at the CAD images and saw this:

First thing that struck me was the very squared doors. But maybe that's all their CAD program had loaded in. It takes a long time to build a 3D model, at least when I used to do it.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 11:13   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Wow...if that's the new Ikea look Hinkley...no thanks!
In fact I don't like it too but that is meant to be a conservative interior not a modern one: look at the panels and wood work on the doors, below the settees, on the cabinets and even the wood on the side of the cabin and the wood frames everywhere. No Ikea type and without doubt a good quality expensive one....badly designed and not in accordance with the rest of the boat that is very well designed.

Tags
Bermuda