Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 12:18   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 2015 Hinkley Bermuda 50

OK, we have bashed Oyster and Hinckley's
Swans next, or did I miss that bash
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:28   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Okay, okay - mine is a bit nicer. But I didn't want to bash a Morris. They are still good boats.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
On one post you equate the Hinckley fit and finish to your 25+ year old Hunter and the next post is no one wants what they built 25+ years ago.
Where have I ever said my boat is the best example of modern design? It's old!

Anyway, in the post you're talking about, I just compared the interior features considered necessary in a blue water boat. Mine does pretty well in that regard. But, it was the Morris - not the Hinckley.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:37   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Where have I ever said my boat is the best example of modern design? It's old!

Anyway, I just compared the interior features considered necessary in a blue water boat. Mine does pretty well in that regard. But, it was the Morris - not the Hinckley.
OH the Morris, not the Hinckley, now it all makes sense!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:37   #50

I just figured out why I don't like it! It looks like the Donald Trump decorating scheme! Probably aimed at those people too. Similar to 150 ft mega yachts that have the mirrors on the ceiling over the 20 person dining table, that way the proletariat can crane their necks and see the table setting 15 feet up while the yacht sits at the dock.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:06   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the "square doors": if you would stop looking at the renderings and look instead at the photos of the boat under construction, you will see arched tops on the few doors visible.

And before criticizing the finish work, why not wait until the finish is finished? It is early days in the build process. I expect that it might buff up pretty well before it goes out the door. It is only in the assembly line type build (Bennies, etc) where the furniture is stuck into the hull in finished condition. They'll have some gnomes in there shining things up a bit before the customer gets to run his fingers over the paneling.

Wonder what the bill is for one?

Jim

PS I don't see any "liner" in use... realistically, the engineering for one does not make sense in a very limited production run like these boats will have.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:34   #52

Boat: Comet 41s

So, a bashing Hinkley thread?

I guess they made the mistake of making a contemporary fast performance boat using contemporary materials. After all the Hinkley Bermuda 40 was a fast performance cruiser and a contemporary boat when it was designed. But I would not worry, all it is needed is another 30 years for this one to be a consensual one in what regards design.

Bill Tripp has made some great contemporary designs to production shipyards, mostly outside US. The new Hinkley reassembles another design of his made for the Italians of Solaris, also a prestigious brand.

Regarding the Hinkley I just don't like the interior, not regarding the way it is built, that is necessary to gain weight and give the boat a good sailing performance, but regarding design. It seems to me that the old styled interior does not fit with the boat contemporary lines. In that regards that the Solaris design team had done a lot better. but who knows, it can be just that boat made to a particular owner with that kind of taste (or lack of taste).

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:09   #53

Boat: Ranger Tugs R-25SC (2015). 24' 7"

Interestingly, Bill Tripp III, the designer of the Hinkley 50, followed in the footsteps of his father, Bill Trip, Jr., who designed the Hinkley 40. Many years ago, I visited the Hinkley yard while on holiday in Maine and still remember how well-built their boats were, e.g., 15 coats of varnish, almost all parts fabricated on-site. The average worker at their yard had worked there for something close to 20-years, reflecting a strong pride in their craftsmanship. Since then, the ownership of this venerable company has changed hands a few times, so I have no idea if the high standards of yore are being held to by the present owners (sailors with a private equity background?).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fst415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:52   #54

Hey, what do you guys think this triangular wedge-shaped thing is? The red colored thing that is in the background? It almost looks like some kind mold. Wonder what it is for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	95329  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 19:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Regarding the Hinkley I just don't like the interior, not regarding the way it is built, that is necessary to gain weight and give the boat a good sailing performance, but regarding design. It seems to me that the old styled interior does not fit with the boat contemporary lines. In that regards that the Solaris design team had done a lot better. but who knows, it can be just that boat made to a particular owner with that kind of taste (or lack of taste).
The latter. I think those Solaris boats are a great Med boat, and sexy to boot, but will have dated looking interiors in short order as the modernist look continues to evolve. Some will love them, I know. I prefer the example of a Morris yacht who have significantly modernized their hull designs but continued with their classic interior Herreshoff styling, and I think Hinckley is following the same idea. Works for me.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 21:02   #56

Boat: Catalina 470

smackdaddy, et al,
I grew up sailing / cruising on a Hinckley, and I can tell you all that they have always been at the forefront of modern yacht manufacturing....(ever wonder how fiberglass became the success in yacht construction it has.....thank Henry Hinckley!!)

For many decades now, they've been proponents of efficient, lightweight, and incredibly strong construction materials and techniques....such as vacuum-bagging, resin-infusion, SCRIMP, Kevlar and carbon fiber, and even the now ubiquitous, "molded-in non-skid".....
Hinckley was in the forefront of non-racing roller furling headsails, being the primary impetus and primary original customer of Hood roller furling systems, etc. etc. etc....the list goes on and on....
(Ted Hood and Henry Hinckley, contributed substantially to modern yacht construction, and both of their visions and companies, together with guys like Frank Butler, etc. have taken us into the 21st Century, etc. of yacht manufacturing).....as well as hiring the finest in both craftsman and naval architects / designers....

And, this has not changed!!!

(heck, 15 coats of varnish is just their "base coat"!!

Now, I'm NOT a fan of the "new" Bermuda 50's design rendering, but I'll wait 'til they finish the boat, before I make a final decision on whether I could accept it as a Hinckley....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's only a "bashing" thread if you think these design and building techniques are bad. I don't. I think it's great that Hinckley is doing a good, smart thing here. Their market no longer seems to want what they did 30 years ago.
BUT....
But, everyone should rest assured, if you think Hinckley has given up on the "traditional" design....they haven't....
You can still order a new SW-52, or SW-42, etc....and you can have it made in any customizied way you want....
Yes, you get carbon, SCRIMP, spade rudder, etc. along with the graceful overhangs, and lots of brightwork!! Including DOZENS of coats of varnish!!!
(and plenty of handholds, too )

Have a look.....they do still make 'em...

Now, those are yachts....

Not the most practical "cruising boats", but they are some of the finest sailing yachts ever made...form and function....in my opinion, they're works of art, that sail like the wind itself....those of us who've sailed one, well-trimmed, in a fresh breeze....ah...better than sex....well almost!
I suppose it's like driving a well-tuned Ferrari on a twisting country road (which I've never done!)....

Hinckley - SW52 Gallery

Hinckley Yachts - Luxury Sailboats

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
The latter. I think those Solaris boats are a great Med boat, and sexy to boot, but will have dated looking interiors in short order as the modernist look continues to evolve. Some will love them, I know. I prefer the example of a Morris yacht who have significantly modernized their hull designs but continued with their classic interior Herreshoff styling, and I think Hinckley is following the same idea. Works for me.
Morris did not really modernized their yacht design. Some improvements (they modified the keel of the 45RS but maintained the old hull) but not really contemporary like the the Hinckley or the Solaris.

I have nothing against (all for) a traditional classic interior on a traditional boat but a cutting edge designed boat with a classic interior? That does not make sense, a design has to have a continuity in style between the interior and the exterior.

Regarding the Solaris to be a Med boat Do you have noticed that it is very similar to the Hinckley in what regards hull, just bigger? That would make the Hinckley what? a lake boat
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Morris did not really modernized their yacht design. Some improvements (they modified the keel of the 45RS but maintained the old hull) but not really contemporary like the the Hinckley or the Solaris.

I have nothing against (all for) a traditional classic interior on a traditional boat but a cutting edge designed boat with a classic interior? That does not make sense, a design has to have a continuity in style between the interior and the exterior.

Regarding the Solaris to be a Med boat Do you have noticed that it is very similar to the Hinckley in what regards hull, just bigger? That would make the Hinckley what? a lake boat
I know you are very into design and I really enjoy it as well. When we travel at least 50% of our time is spent on viewing architecture in the area. I look at many of the newer buildings that are shoe boxes stacked on each other and then I compare it with something of quality from the past and there is just no common ground. I really do love some of the newer boats but by and large they are not French designed. When we were in Italy some of those sailboats could only be described as drop dead gorgeous, they were literally works of art just sitting there and when they were under sail it was something to behold. I had the same feelings about Hinckleys and can spend quite a bit of time just taking in some of their detailing.
Now I am not a fool and I wouldn't expect a budget boat to be a work of art but in my experience these builders keep changing the designs so that they don't get caught with competing against the boat they built 4 years ago and I understand that, it makes good business sense but I also believe these designs will date themselves over time. The Italian designs were timeless and so are Hinckleys, they were beautiful when they were first built and they will be beautiful 50 years from now.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:59   #59
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
smackdaddy, et al,

But, everyone should rest assured, if you think Hinckley has given up on the "traditional" design....they haven't....
You can still order a new SW-52, or SW-42, etc....and you can have it made in any customizied way you want....
Yes, you get carbon, SCRIMP, spade rudder, etc. along with the graceful overhangs, and lots of brightwork!! Including DOZENS of coats of varnish!!!
(and plenty of handholds, too )

Have a look.....they do still make 'em...
Yeah, but does anyone still want one? :-) They haven't launched a new Sou-wester in years... The custom one-off Bob Perry design referenced earlier will likely be the first 'traditional' cruising sailboat they've built, since that owner's SW 42 was built several years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
That brochure is seriously outdated, Hinckley's 'Service Yard' in Mantoloking, NJ, is now little more than an empty lot...

They may have one thing right, however :-)

Quote:

The launch of a new Sou'wester is a much anticipated event along the shores of Southwest Harbor...
Magnificent yachts, what a heritage, no doubt about it... But I have my doubts about how 'successful' their new Bermuda 50 will prove to be...

When my winning lottery ticket comes in, I think I'll go with a Morris, instead...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:16   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I know you are very into design and I really enjoy it as well. When we travel at least 50% of our time is spent on viewing architecture in the area. I look at many of the newer buildings that are shoe boxes stacked on each other and then I compare it with something of quality from the past and there is just no common ground.....
There is no parallel in what regards Architecture that in what regards outside shapes are much less functional than sailboats.

You can compare sailboat shapes with car shapes even if only in what regards aerodynamics and on the boat what concerns the hull. In What regards sailboat hulls it is a bit more complicated because it is not only about hydrodynamics but also in what regards hydrodynamics versus generated hull form stability that would be translated in power, not mentioned keel and rudder design that are only possible the way cutting edge boats has them today due to the use of new materials.

Regarding hull design there is an evolution, always towards a better hydrodynamics/stability compromise, towards boats that sail with less heel, roll less, are faster and have a globally better performance. The more modern Morris design, this one (45RS, that had the keel recently improved) :

has nothing special besides being an outdated design. In what regards Yacht Naval Architecture that would be the state of art around 1990, as you can see by this very similar (hull) 1990 First 45 designed by Farr:

The Hinckley 50 (or the Solaris 60) represent the state of the art today. You can like the shapes or not but they are not there due to a ascetically function but because they are the ones that work better.

Regarding liking or not, for most it is a question of time because in what regards cars, airplanes or boats fast is beautiful, it just take more time to some to adapt their eyes to new and more efficient hull forms.

That's very funny and I only find it out later, but I found a Bill Tripp video where he is saying what I am telling you, using the car analogy and all

Tags
Bermuda