Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 04:46   #1

2001 TP52 Buying Advice

I have minimal experience but I have some newbie questions so that I can learn ...

2001 TP52
USD$20K
Requires new deck, sails, engine and respray.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...s/tp-52/241708

1. What kind of costs would be involved to get it into average condition for local weekend casual sailing (ie no bluewater trips)?
Engine, say USD$20K?
Sails, say USD$10K?
Desk & respray cost? Any chance of DIY?

2. Could the TP52 shorthanded?

3. Could it get planing?
matt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 06:56   #2

Re: 2001 TP52 Buying Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt12 View Post
I have minimal experience but I have some newbie questions so that I can learn ...

2001 TP52
USD$20K

1. What kind of costs would be involved to get it into average condition for local weekend casual sailing (ie no bluewater trips)?
Engine, say USD$20K?
Sails, say USD$10K?

3. Could it get planing?
New Deck??? What does that mean? If it's the finish... ok. If it means the deck core is wet and needs to be replaced, that is a HUGE job. Find another boat in that case--unless you enjoy boat repair more than sailing. (It's OK if you do, BTW!)

Of course you can paint it yourself... the quality of the job will depend on the quality of your work. Cost of a commercial paint job is 99.5% labor. For a boat of that size prepping the hull for a "not bad" paint job will take 5 to 8 days. Double that for if you want a high gloss dark color to look halfway decent.

Prepping the deck for paint will take a LONG time.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:19   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Yes it will plane.

Most TP2 racers have budgets north of 500k PER YEAR. This is a money pit! it is designed to be sailed by a crew of 10, not a couples cruiser.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:20   #4

Boat: Hanse 531

Could it be this one?

Old 14-01-2020, 08:48   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

$10k for sails for a TP52?!?!

Hahahahaahbabah

A TP52 is a racing machine. It’ll plane, but it’ll cost a fortune to do it.

Look up YouTube vids of tp52’s sailing.....
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:16   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Sorry to say but it's the old, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" OR really probably shouldn't afford it if you can. A mainsail alone for this boat is over $10-15K USD even if it's basic dacron material.

If decks are wet RUN! Not cost effective to fix and in some cases if cored with wrong material may not be fixable.

Price usually reflects condition. My guess is someone will give it away to move it. Especially if the decks are wet cored.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:35   #7

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Sorry have to agree with all above , I think you seen a bargain and hell why not Im Handy and I can get it done , YUP you probably can with a LOT OF money and time and then to sail her shorthanded with no experience , this is not a cruiser this is a flying machine.
But I always say go for it it its your dream and you have a lot of money, but then if you had a lot og money buy a complete boat, sorry !
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:47   #8

$20K for a TP 52 is suspicious as best... too good to be true, she must have some serious issues. Then, what others have said is also true, a 52 would be very expensive to maintain and requires a large, experienced crew (for example, it has running backstays, if you make a mistake with them, the mast comes down, we have seen it here in PNW on a 52 just a few weeks back). If you can afford the operating cost and the complexity of having a large crew, it is a beautiful and fun boat, just not for the occasional sailor.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:19   #9

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
$20K for a TP 52 is suspicious as best... too good to be true, she must have some serious issues. Then, what others have said is also true, a 52 would be very expensive to maintain and requires a large, experienced crew (for example, it has running backstays, if you make a mistake with them, the mast comes down, we have seen it here in PNW on a 52 just a few weeks back). If you can afford the operating cost and the complexity of having a large crew, it is a beautiful and fun boat, just not for the occasional sailor.
The modern TP52s are built to different rules than this one from 2001, though!

Quote:
The TP52 Class Association was started in 2001 by owners who wanted to race a Grand Prix sailboat that is fun, safe and reliable. TP52’s are flat out racing platforms, fully crewed, high performance monohulls capable of racing in both buoy regattas and offshore races. The 2800 pound weight limit provides for approximately 14 crew members with the flexibility to bring along a guest or a sponsor in the back of the boat and out of harms way. TP52’s race in true time, the first boat across the finish line wins. TP52’s are designed to be raced by both amateur and professional sailors alike. TP52’s elected not to use water ballast, canting keels, running back stays; preferring to keep it simple, safe & reliable. There is no time credit to build a slow TP52. They can easily exceed 25 knots off the wind with the record being 32 knots in a race set by 4 TP52’s racing down the California coast in 2003. Upwind, they are very stiff and fast as approximately 60% of the weight of the boat is in the metal fin & lead bulb. TP52’s have won most every bluewater regatta they have entered including; overall wins in the 2004 Bermuda Race, 2004 Chicago to Mackinac and the 2003 Transpac race to Hawaii. In buoy racing, they have won the 2005 Key West Race week, 2003 Miami SORC and the 2002-04 St. Francis Big Boat Series against the best boats in the world.
https://www.transpac52.org/home/about/history.html
Old 14-01-2020, 11:38   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

If you want a seriously fast boat... look at the Santa Cruz line. They were the “thee” boat back in their day. Lots of guys made them into cruisers. I agree with the others that “you have no idea” what you would be stepping into. You would receive a mortal wound to your finances. Your wife would leave you. Your dog would possibly bite you. Your kids will treat you as if you had bad breath. You get the idea.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 16:55   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt12 View Post

2001 TP52
USD$20K

Engine, say USD$20K?
Sails, say USD$10K?

3. Could it get planing?
The decks look fine in the pictures. If they're truly rotten to the core, then walk. While I'm guessing it could be rerigged for short handed sailing, as a racing boat you'll find that the salon will be spartan at best - this could take a huge bite out of your budget to make it nice. Where would you park a 52' boat?

While a 52' carbon fiber boat for 20 grand may seem like a great price, I doubt you'd get out for less than a hundred grand by the time it's done - still not a bad price considering it's size and the fact it would be fully refitted.

That said, I do smell a rat here. You'd need to have it thoroughly surveyed with a hull scan before even considering it.

Oh and by the way. it's in Australia, where are you?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 17:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Someone will likely buy this as a bargain race boat. You want to cruise with a 10.5' draft?

How long has it been for sale? Westerly is a good builder, but these things are essentially disposable and it may have some serious structure issues. Or maybe not.
Old 15-01-2020, 10:27   #13

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

OTOH the mast alone is worth way more than that, but might take a while to sell.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
While a 52' carbon fiber boat for 20 grand may seem like a great price, I doubt you'd get out for less than a hundred grand by the time it's done - still not a bad price considering it's size and the fact it would be fully refitted.
Thanks. Lots of good comments from everyone. Yes, I was thinking there would be plenty of extras that would add up to $100K .. plus all the time involved in the refurb process .. although just doing the essentials to get it sailing initially.
matt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:40   #15

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

a TP52 is many things. a boat for a newbie isn't one of them, cheap also doesn' enter the conversation.

so lets go through with it:
sails: $10k? you're sniffing glue. for one main and one jib you're looking at easily $50k. maybe you could find some old used racing sails but you're still probably looking at $25K. so for sails alone you're looking at more than what the you pay for the boat.

engine: for a new engine you're looking at probably looking at an absolute bare minimum of $30k for the engine/trans alone. then you're looking at the cost of getting the old engine out, and getting the new engine in so tack on probably another grand.

hull and deck paint: yes you could roll new deck pain on and get away with it. yes you could roll and tip awlgrip on the hull but just for the paint and the proper equipment to roll it on you're looking at upwards of $1500, likely more.

on deck the running rigging is likely shot so you're looking at several grand just in line. looking at the pictures I would consider the hydraulics to be suspect and should be gone over.

god only knows what the electrical system looks like but I'm willing to get it needs attention just to be functional.

and no, TP's were never meant to be single handed.

look I don't mean to be a dick but with all the thousands of boats for sale why would you, as a newbie that wants to do some single handed day sailing, settle on a powered up race boat designed for fully crewed racing that is now clapped out and in need of well over $100k worth of work as the boat you want?
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying